Weekly Shopping

Good Witch

How much do you spend on weekly shopping?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What do you spend a week on groceries?

• $100-$150
    • $150-$200
    • $200-$250
    • $300 or more
    • Less than $100 or n/a
  2. 2. What do you spend a week on toiletries, cleaning stuff etc..?

• These are included in my groceries bill above
    • $50-$100
    • more than $100
    • I don't spend money on cleaning... anything!
  3. 3. If you have a baby does your grocery bill include diapers?

• Yes
    • No
    • n/a
  4. 4. How many adults in your household?

• 4 or more
  5. 5. How many children in your household?

• 4 or more
    • n/a
  6. 6. Who does the shopping in your household?

• She
    • He
    • Both, together
  7. 7. What area do you live in? (To compare costs between States)

• NSW
    • ACT
    • VIC
    • QLD
    • SA
    • NT
    • WA
    • TAS
  8. 8. Where do you shop?

• Coles
    • Woolworths
    • Speciality Stores
    • Other
  9. 9. Where do you buy your meat?

• Butcher
    • Grocery store
    • n/a
  10. 10. Where do you buy your vegetables & fruit?

• Market
    • Grocery store
    • n/a

On behalf of Eva, here is the poll to compare weekly food shopping prices. Would those already in Australia please participate in the poll.

Thanks!

Cheers

Andi

Edited by Mara

Thanks Andi, would never have got it together as a poll, too many variants for me.

Hope this helps....

Nice post please vote!!!not in Aus yet so I can't but it sure helps the one's that is on there way... :ilikeit:

I did the poll and I responded to Eva's post in a bit more detail.

Jill

We have a fruit and veg market in WA called "The Spud Shed". Pretty similar to Fruit and Veg City in RSA. We get our milk and bread there. Milk is often $1.99 a 2 litre but normally $2.19. Bread is always $1.00 a loaf of sliced. We buy weekly there and freeze the bread. This is substantially cheaper than the supermarkets and so we can save $30-50 a month there.

Wow Jordy, you are lucky, that is a saving.

Jill

Very informative, thanks Andi, you're a star.

Have updated my Aussie budget for weekly groceries of $250.... :ilikeit:

Very informative, thanks Andi, you're a star.

Have updated my Aussie budget for weekly groceries of $250.... :ilikeit:

Pleasure hon, how's the packing going?

Surprised no one has mentioned or added Aldi to this poll.Great quality and much much cheaper than both Coles and Woolworths.Aldi is all our first choice and then only we look elsewhere.

the sad thing is my weekly grocery bill went up from under $100.00 when we arrived last year, to up to $150.00 - $200.00 per week now...since I wasnt working then, and am now, I tend to buy more luxury items, pre packed meals like lasagne and so on..and price of meat in Tasmania went up by 20% over the last year according to the butcher.

Still buy 1l milk and bread at $1.50 each..and i buy on specials a lot as well.

We only have a Woolworths where we live, but if near a Coles I prefer to go there cause of Mrs Balls chutney!!! Prices are win some lose some difference between the two.

It would be interesting if someone had the figures from last years similar poll.. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has notices an increase in grocery spending.

On behalf of Eva, here is the poll to compare weekly food shopping prices. Would those already in Australia please participate in the poll.

Thanks!

Cheers

Andi

I find this poll quite .....misleading or rather incomplete.....as I am sure there are variences in the number of family members and also ages of family members eating out of each basket?

I don't know if it's possible to somehow get to a $ per head ratio.Adult / Teen /Todler / Baby.

Now it's getting really complex I know but for me in SA to look at a Grocery bill of $250-00 per week two adult and one todler is not acurate.

I have done a lengthy involved survey of friends and family in Brisbane and the average works out to more or less.

$130.00- $150.00 / week. For a family of two Adults and one todler or teenager all in meat, cleaning products, food, fruit and veg.

Please correct me if I am out.

We are also going over this year and budgeting is driving me around the twist.

Hilton

I find this poll quite .....misleading or rather incomplete.....as I am sure there are variences in the number of family members and also ages of family members eating out of each basket?

I don't know if it's possible to somehow get to a $ per head ratio.Adult / Teen /Todler / Baby.

Now it's getting really complex I know but for me in SA to look at a Grocery bill of $250-00 per week two adult and one todler is not acurate.

I have done a lengthy involved survey of friends and family in Brisbane and the average works out to more or less.

$130.00- $150.00 / week. For a family of two Adults and one todler or teenager all in meat, cleaning products, food, fruit and veg.

Please correct me if I am out.

We are also going over this year and budgeting is driving me around the twist.

Hilton

It is complicated, which is why I thought having people's comments on their expenditure was valuable rather than only a poll.

Maybe it is impossible to compare one family in one place to the next! The size of the family and age of kids makes a big difference. I have two teenage sons, that is probably more than two normal adults!

I asked an Australian woman who has two teenage daughters, a younger daughter plus Mum & Dad what they spend a week on groceries (all told). She said her budget is $200 a week, but some weeks its more and some less. She didn't say, but I presume take-out is on top of that. Didn't want to interrogate the poor woman too much, only met her a few hours before!

Hilton - I can understand where you are coming from - was in that same place not too long ago.

We are a family of four - two teens aged 14 and 15 (who eat like horses) We have no pets

Our weekly food budget is $250 for everything - and I have change over.

IMHO we are eating way better here than in SA - my rear end is proof !!

If you are prepared to buy reduced to clear items you will save yourself heaps of dollars. I buy all my meat that way and freeze it - I certainly wont turn my nose up at a piece of fillet steak that is now half price !!

Dont beat yourself up about it - you'll come rite.

We are 3 adults, and I entertain at least twice a month. Including the occasional take-aways, all meat, cleaning stuff, fruit & veg, we spend about $200 - $250 a week. Oh, and that includes booze too, beers, cider and wine.

I agree with Lyn, we eat much better here than in RSA. To buy a leg-of-lamb for a Sunday roast is VERY affordable! It's bliss to be able to have Sunday roasts again - every week if we aren't doing BBQ's. In RSA, it was simply too expensive...

I am sure that you'll manage just fine on your budget Hilton!

Cheers

Andi

IMHO we are eating way better here than in SA - my rear end is proof !!

:):ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

You make me laugh, Lyn!

So now we have down side to life in Aus, worrying about your grocery bill and getting a big rear end!!

ha ha, ha!

Very funny, thanks Lynn.

• 3 weeks later...
Surprised no one has mentioned or added Aldi to this poll.Great quality and much much cheaper than both Coles and Woolworths.Aldi is all our first choice and then only we look elsewhere.

Yes us too! when we first arrived we shopped at Woolies but now we do 95% of our shopping at Aldi and we are saving at least $40 per week

• 3 weeks later...

HI

In VIctoria we have the Dandenong market and the VIc market in the city which is really great!! Box of apples this week was $5 and I paid $3 for a box of pears. Since I live in wheelers HIll Dandenong is much closer so I go there.

Always shop around and check out those specials!!

If you buy in bulk at BigW you'll also have huge savings.

This is very interesting. :ilikeit:

I have a husband (who enjoys his food) and a teenager and a four year old.

Here in SA I spend approx R4000 a month on ALL groceries, toiletries, lunch box meals etc but this excludes take out.

Eva, what I would like to know is : Will I pretty much get the same in Oz on AUD 250 a week compred to what I am currently getting for R4000 a month??

I know it depends on what u buy but these are your average meals for dinner like : roast chicken, spaghetti bolognaise, Steak & chips, Sausage & mash and fish & chips etc etc etc

and lunches like chicken rolls, ham sandwhiches and treats for the kids for lunch boxes etc.

Eva, what I would like to know is : Will I pretty much get the same in Oz on AUD 250 a week compred to what I am currently getting for R4000 a month??

I think so. We eat pretty much the same as we did in South Africa, and I think doing your own housework probably cuts down on some of those costs - less wastage. One thing I seem to go through tons of here is toilet paper! I am sure there are less squares on each roll and it is more loosely rolled, I seem to go through masses! And that is with boys, can't imagine what girls must use! I do try and shop wisely and buy stuff on special etc to stretch my dollar further. And just like in South Africa, I think the price of food is constantly creeping up!