FROM SA TO OZ BACK TO SA PERMANENTLY

JennyG

Question

We all heard of people and families immigrated to Oz, but due to their own personal reasons and circumstances decided to return to South Africa. I was wondering if there is any such active members on this forum? I don't want to open a can of worms or start a fight PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would just like to hear from those people how they feel since their journey halfway around the world. How did they find settling back in SA.

I know this is a South Africa to Oz forum, but would like to know how people experienced things the other way around. Hope I'm not sounding to confusing.

Please, if you do not want to reply on this thread, please PM me. Would like to hear from you!

Thanks!

18 answers to this question

We all heard of people and families immigrated to Oz, but due to their own personal reasons and circumstances decided to return to South Africa. I was wondering if there is any such active members on this forum? I don't want to open a can of worms or start a fight PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would just like to hear from those people how they feel since their journey halfway around the world. How did they find settling back in SA.

I know this is a South Africa to Oz forum, but would like to know how people experienced things the other way around. Hope I'm not sounding to confusing.

Please, if you do not want to reply on this thread, please PM me. Would like to hear from you!

Thanks!

Hi Jenny,

I'm one of those people that have returned back to SA permanately. Lived in AUS for a year, but things just didn't work out for us, so we decided to return back home again.

The experience we had going to Aus was one of a life time. I will never forget it. It is a beautiful, peaceful country and I will miss it dearly.

Sandra

Hi Sandra

Can you explaine briefly?did you struggle to find jobs? or was there something else?

This site is mostly used by people who either desperately want to get into Aus, or are already there.

No doubt, a lot of people who came and went may have chatted here at some time, but what would be the point of continuing to chat on this type of forum if you have gone back to SA? Surely you would be looking forward not backward?

This type of question is probably better suited to "The homecoming revolution" website which is specifically for people who come and want to go back or people who went back.

Well I find it a good thread. It will help those still on there way to realize things don't work out for everyone, some due to a twist of fate and others because they can't adapt to Oz. This thread will give those still coming good insight and encourage them to do there research and know it isn't all sunshine and roses. Moving countries is not child play but very difficult at one time or the other. I think it is only fair to let those who are going or went back to share with us so we can take a more objective look at the big move. Not staying in Oz does not make people unwelcome on this forum as far as I know, it would be a bit anale of the Forumites to object to having more perspective on this very difficult process for all who go through it.

Moving countries is the hardest thing you will ever do. I like australia and I know I cannot go back home but that doesnt stop me from wishing I could still be in Africa and if it was safe I would be. My husband is working today and tomorrow and sitting alone at easter isnt fun. I have had invites from friends but they are all couples and I dont want to be a 3rd wheel, makes me feel worse. Days like today I could easily pack up and move home IF it was safe. Everyone will have lonely days and there will be days where each and everyone on the forum will want to be back in RSA.

Well I find it a good thread. It will help those still on there way to realize things don't work out for everyone, some due to a twist of fate and others because they can't adapt to Oz. This thread will give those still coming good insight and encourage them to do there research and know it isn't all sunshine and roses. Moving countries is not child play but very difficult at one time or the other. I think it is only fair to let those who are going or went back to share with us so we can take a more objective look at the big move. Not staying in Oz does not make people unwelcome on this forum as far as I know, it would be a bit anale of the Forumites to object to having more perspective on this very difficult process for all who go through it.

Since you clearly misunderstood my comment.

I will try to simplify.

Jenny is actively doing a lot of "research" because she is "unsure" about the move.

From this thread and others, it is very clear that she wants to read stories of those who didn't make in here (not people who are battling here). She wants the going home stories. I have been chatting here for quite a long time, and the going home stories are very few and far between. I am not going to debate the reasons for this - there just isn't a lot of the info Jenny is seeking on this particular website.

This forum is called "South Africans COMING to Australia". The majority of the foromites are enormously pro Australia here (myself included), so it is unlikely she will find the avalanch of home-going stories she is clearly seeking. (See other threads by Jenny)

If you go back and read my previous comment, you will see that I am not discouraging people from telling their stories, I am not saying that Aus doesn't have its problems etc, I merely saying that the type of info she is seeking, is not going to be abundant here.

Thank you for the clarification Gizmo, but my comment isn't at you but in general after reading some of the attacks on people who post those type of questions on this forum. Unfortunatley I miss SA alot and my family, and understand and have sympathy for those who are having a hard time. All I wish to bring to peoples attention is there is a difference between being pro Australian, (I have been here now for over 2 years), and just being anale

about people having a hard time and wishing to share. Fighting with these people don't exactly make those going back feel welcome to post there experiences, as a Host on the forum said "it is about emmigratting/immigrating, to and from SA." So it is nice to hear the feedback from those people it is not as if they betrayed some secret going to Oz alliance or something that silly and gives those still to come a reality check that it isn't for everyone and there is no shame in no being able to adapt in Oz, its freedom of choice. If everyone tries to see things through the writers eyes, we would maybe try and be a little less judgemental.

Hi all

I like to hear both sides of the story. But what I have realised is moving to Aus is like having your first child :blink:

You read every possible article people tell you their birth stories predict the gender of you baby even after you told them six times it is a boy they can see by the way you carry it is a girl....what I am getting to is no matter how prepared you are there is still some things that will be a dissapointment or an amazement....

IT is human nature to fear the unknown....I personally think you should decide to go and make the best of it or decide to stay and forget about Aus and go on with our life.

The fact is you should do what is best for your family and for yourself.

Good luck to all.

Jenny is actively doing a lot of "research" because she is "unsure" about the move.

Agree -

Nobody who is so unsure should be going down this road but rather wait until their head and heart are

in agreement with each other.

Hi Sandra

Can you explaine briefly?did you struggle to find jobs? or was there something else?

Hi Chantelle,

Lots happened while we were there in Australia that made us take the decision to return back home. But the main reason was my husband's place of work was going bankrupt (due to personal reasons beyond his control) so he couldn't afford the employees anymore. He looked for a permanent job for months but it wasn't easy. He did do odd jobs for companies (which had nothing to do with his trade) but this was only temp work with minimum wages. It was tough for us has we had to pay our debts every month and still put food on the table every night. Every day became a struggle for us. We left SA for the future of our kids yes that's true, but sometimes that just isn't enough. We has parents also need to make sure that we are able to provide for our children. We had lots of sleepless nights before we finally decided that we would return back home. And it hasn't been all that bad either here.

So yes it was tough for us there but it doesn't mean that it will be like that for other's. It's a chance that we all take and I believe we should take in life. If you don't you will always wonder what could have been. And we don't regret a single bit of it.

Sandra

Wow, Sandra. What a torid time it must've been and hats off to you and your family for making it through the challenges.

I hope with all my heart that life will be good for you and that you will be happy.

I have the biggest admiration for anyone who makes a life changing decision and face up to the consequences - good on you Sandra! I'm sorry it did not work out for you, but in the end you did the best with what you were given and you can feel very proud of that! So many people going back to South Africa can not soon enough tell the whole world how "bad" Australia is, instead of sharing the facts (and truth) about their experience. :jester: It is very refreshing to see someone who does not use their bad experience as en excuse to badmouth Australia. :ilikeit: I wish you all the best for your life in South Africa! Thanks for sharing that!

Hi Sandra!

Thanks for sharing your journey with us! I always hear of people moving back, but thereafter its as if they just fade away. One never hears from them again. That is why I was curious and posted this thread. I didn't had much responds though. So from the looks of it the people moving back doesn't take active part on this forum anymore? :jester: As they say, immigration is tough! But I think living in SA these days is also tough with all the things going on! It is so sad though! We went away for the easter weekend up north. Spend few days in KNP, Mussina, Louis Trichardt etc. I was so sad because we've got such a beautiful beautiful country! On the other hand it was nice to still see South Africans going on holiday, enjoying themselves and having fun! I think I am getting of the topic here :ilikeit:

Anyway Sandra! Glad that things worked out for you in the end!

I AGREE......WELL PUT CHANTELLE

Hi all

I like to hear both sides of the story. But what I have realised is moving to Aus is like having your first child :ilikeit:

You read every possible article people tell you their birth stories predict the gender of you baby even after you told them six times it is a boy they can see by the way you carry it is a girl....what I am getting to is no matter how prepared you are there is still some things that will be a dissapointment or an amazement....

IT is human nature to fear the unknown....I personally think you should decide to go and make the best of it or decide to stay and forget about Aus and go on with our life.

The fact is you should do what is best for your family and for yourself.

Good luck to all.