Converting from 175 to 176 - a guideline.

Pine and Riana Pienaar

I have had quite a bit of enquiries about the process for conversion from 175 to 176. I know a lot of us have recently followed this path. I will briefly show the process overall. This is not 100% and things like timeframes are not fixed. I also only went the through the ACT one.

I would like to invite others to amend, add and especially give detail of the other territories.

I will try briefly to lay out the process and provide you with some links:

• Here is the DIAC link to the 176 detail. Basically the same requirements and workings as the 175. Only thing is you need a valid sponsorship and you need to remain in that territory for the 2 year duration. You have PR and all that comes with that: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-ski...-migration/176/
  • Each territory has a list of occupations (subset of SOL) that they need and are willing to sponsor. You will have to determine which territory has your occupation on their list.

• They can sponsor as many as they would like on that list. They also have an allowance of 500 not on their list. For this you will have to contact them directly and liaise with them to see if you can get them to agree to sponsor you even if you are not on their list.

• This link gives you access to the detail for each territory:

• You will then need to go through the process of getting your sponsorship from them.

• Their timeframes and process differ between territories. Most are electronic these days and seem to take roughly a month.

• It is however possible to get it sooner but you have to motivate and discuss it with them. In our case we got the sponsorship within 2 days after applying but I asked by email and subsequently phoned them twice with my best telephone smile. I was straight about the fact that my medicals were expiring, and that I wanted to convert to 176 from 175 and there was a deadline date.

• As part of the application process they all need you to do research and show you are committed to staying in the territory for 2 years. This research takes a considerable amount of time. They mostly also don’t just want copy and paste from the web. They want you to show you have contacted people, looked at schooling, work, etc.

• For ACT they first needed us to do a pre-assessment by looking at our CV’s, etc before indicating they were willing to consider sponsoring us. As part of the application they then required us to write a 2 page statement of commitment ) that showed that we have personally researched their lifestyle, work opportunities, etc.

• Once you get the sponsorship grant letter from (form 1100, I think) them they fill in a form and send it to DIAC confirming their willingness to sponsor you. If you are not on their list there is some other paperwork they need to also send. They mostly also send you a letter to confirm the sponsorship. I propose you just confirm with them that they have sent in the forms to DIAC before you contact DIAC in this regard.
  • You then go to the DIAC site to accept the sponsorship. This is done through the post lodgment enquiry form and you can also send them an email

• adelaide.gsm.documents@immi.gov.au

• On the mail we just indicated that we accept the nomination, give the reference number that the territory provided and attach the letter if you have it

• On the post lodgment form, just indicate what it is about in the free text part they provide. This takes about 5 days before they process it and put it on your application status – they seem to stick to their service standard times

• I phoned them the next day to confirm if the form has been lodged by the territory and followed up after 5 days to make sure the conversion has indeed been done. They confirmed telephonically and indicated that it will now be processed as priority.
  • From here their service standard indicates (as contained in the response to blank email you send to this address: aspc.processing@immi.gov.au) you they will allocate a case officer to sponsored application as they are received within 10 days after receipt. You should then allow a further 10 days for the CO to contact you.

• In other words from the moment they confirm they are treating your application as a 176 you should allow 20 working days before you get worried.

• In our case it was 7 days before we got the visa and we did not even know we had a CO (despite telephonic follow up). It has been similar for a few other on the forum.

• Here are a few links to postings on our specific process for info: Sponsorship process

• This is the general contact page for DIAC and also contains the post lodgment form link, telephone numbers and email address: http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/visa-enqui...ofessionals.htm

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rene321

• billabong

• Pine and Riana Pienaar

• Maggel

Thanks a lot for the information!!

We are waiting on an answer from ACT this week - hopefully. They said they will proceed to finalise our application now - after receiving further info they requested. Not sure if this is good news or just news. Anyway - my husband phone NSW to hear if they will be willing to sponsor him as part of the 500 "other" applications and they said immediatly NO WAY. If you're not on the list, it won't happen. So maybe rather be on a list or double check before you start your application. Hopefully we'll be converting soon and be in ACT by July!! Can't wait.

Hi Pine & Riana

Thak you very much for this information. I have forwarded this to my agaent along with my husbands CV she will send it off to WA for confirmation.

Lisa

Thanks so much for all that info,

It definately does help!!!

Thanks to Pine and Riana, excellent post, I am going to pin it in place, so that it does not disappear in the rush!

when I called to ask about changing from a 175 to a state sponsored visa they said it was a new application and a new fee????????????

Hi there

What does all of this cost?

Just a ball point figure, if you can help?

There was no charge involved in the conversion from 175 to 176 at DIAC. The only fee we had to pay was at ACT as part of the sponsorship app.

It is really as simple as accepting the sponsorship and asking that your 175 be processed as a 176 by DIAC. It will however mean that your 175 no longer exists. So if you want your 175 to go on while they process a 176 for you only then it will be a separate app.

Dont know if there has been any changes since we did ours a month ago - can anyone confirm? I see there is another posting about some changes to sponsored visas: http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?s=&am...st&p=196119

Edited by Pine and Riana Pienaar

There was no charge involved in the conversion from 175 to 176 at DIAC. The only fee we had to pay was at ACT as part of the sponsorship app.

It is really as simple as accepting the sponsorship and asking that your 175 be processed as a 176 by DIAC. It will however mean that your 175 no longer exists. So if you want your 175 to go on while they process a 176 for you only then it will be a separate app.

Dont know if there has been any changes since we did ours a month ago - can anyone confirm? I see there is another posting about some changes to sponsored visas: http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?s=&am...st&p=196119

Hi Pine and Pienaar,

Roughly how much was this ACT sponsership fee if you dont mind me asking ?

Hi Pine and Pienaar,

Roughly how much was this ACT sponsership fee if you dont mind me asking ?

Paid so many things over the last while I may be wrong but if I recall then it was $275. Perhaps Billabong can confirm?

the only fee payable is to your agent if you used one.There does appear to be a long que i submitted in mid Jan to WA and still have not had a response yet

Hi Guys & Gals,

I am sure this has probably been discussed already but haven't been able to locate it.

Is there anybody that has applied for state sponsership for South Australia that can shed some

light on what they wrote on there application with regards to the various research parts so as

to get an idea of exactly how much info they are needing.

I have done some research but not sure how much is required and is really valid.

Thanks Ali

Some info on WA sponsorship.

There is no charge for sponsorship application.

We applied the 19th of January and only recieved sponsorship today.

Their website says 10 days, they changed to 4-6weeks, then 6-8weeks and ours took almost 10 weeks.

But we have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey there, firstly I'd like to say a big thanks to Pine and Riana for this post, it was a huge motivator for me. I submitted an online 175 (non-MODL) in July 2008 and after all the changes to timelines etc I decided to put tongue in cheek and apply for WA sponsorship. To be perfectly honest this is a fat chance that I'm taking as I am not on any 'in demand' lists but I have decided to send in an off-nomination appeal - nothing ventured nothing gained right and at least it gives me something to do. If they for some miracle of miracles decide to accept my application then great...if not then I'll be waiting to see what happens after July 2009 as nothing much is expected to move on the non-MODL applications until at least then :lol: .

What a drag when you consider how nicely things were going along last year and we couldn't be more ready to pack up and migrate. The waiting is starting to feel like a huge immovable rock. It's scary to think that so many changes have happened to the visa process since January 2009 and that we have no idea what's happening next - glad to know we're not alone in this boat :blink:

Thanks to everyone for posting info on sponsorship timelines as well - at least I have something 'new' to wait on a response for :rolleyes:

We sent our Vis SS form in to our agent 2 days ago. Initially we wanted to apply for NSW Regional SS, but hubby's skills are not on their list at the moment, and the agent made a call to them asking whether they would consider us as one of the 'off list' applicants instead, seeing as hubby is already employed in Regional NSW we we are happy to buy property here & contribute to the economy. But, they said 'no.' So... next best bet was Victoria (seeing as I still want to move there SOMEDAY as was the original plan, and if pushed to hubby could possibly apply for a transfer as work's HO is in Mlb.)

Like everyone else who is considering converting from a 175 MODL to a 176 SS, we patiently await the outcome of our State Sponsorship application. If it is approved, we will re-evaluate our options. If not, we stick to our lodged 175 MODL application. First prize is a PR visa ASAP.

Hi all,

Here are the changes to the state sponsorship of South Australia effective 01/04/09.

Sponsorship Occupation Lists

Due to planning levels being achieved, one occupation has been removed from the Permanent Sponsorship list and will no longer be available for sponsorships.

ASCO

Occupation

4931-11

Hairdresser

The following occupations have been removed from the Provisional Sponsorship list:

ASCO

Occupation

1191-11

Construction Project Manager

2113-17

Biochemist

2113-79

Life Scientists (nec)

2114-19

Agricultural Scientist

2114-21

Agricultural Advisor

2293-13

Statistician

2299-11

Health Information Manager

2529-79

Social Professionals (nec)

4931-11

Hairdresser

Revised requirement for Accountants 2211-11 – Available for Permanent and Provisional State Sponsorships

**2211-11 Accountant

IELTS score of 7 overall (with at least 6.0 in EACH band) AND 3 years work experience as an Accountant

Hi All,

anyone knows how long it takes for South Aus immi to send the documentation to DIAC after they approved your sponsorship and you sent them the details they asked for?

Hi All,

anyone knows how long it takes for South Aus immi to send the documentation to DIAC after they approved your sponsorship and you sent them the details they asked for?

would also like to know. We recieved email confirmation of sponsorship last Thursday and immediately agent sent an email to DIAC notifying them of change of 175 to 176 and giving sponsorship ref. Agent also sent an email to SA immi with visa ref and provided them with form 1100. But i have no way of knowing whether immi SA and DIAC have communicated or if they need to. i would assume that immi SA need to send the form 1100 to DIAC. they processed my sponsorship really fast (within 4 days) that i am hoping they arer efficient in all spheres

In response to Ali26 Q on what needs to be sent as proof of research for sponsorship, I added an extra 2 pages of motivation why i chose SA, if you send me your email I can mail it to you.

Jenny

Hi Guys,

Just got off the phone with our agent, and there is just one issue with us switching to a 176 from a 175;

Apparently there is now a rule that your IELTS date has to be after that of your lodgement. IE you need to have written IELTS after you handed in your application.

We got our IELTS results 10 days before we submitted our 175 (July 2008), so now we supposedly have to rewrite the IELTS.

Seems silly..

Anybody seen / experienced / heard of this?

Starting to get furstrated with these Ausies now...

Hi Guys,

Just got off the phone with our agent, and there is just one issue with us switching to a 176 from a 175;

Apparently there is now a rule that your IELTS date has to be after that of your lodgement. IE you need to have written IELTS after you handed in your application.

We got our IELTS results 10 days before we submitted our 175 (July 2008), so now we supposedly have to rewrite the IELTS.

Seems silly..

Anybody seen / experienced / heard of this?

Starting to get furstrated with these Ausies now...

I was told that they are valid for 2 years hope this helps

Believe me if I say a lot of us will put our hands up to become arsonists should we need to redo that test again!

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Thanks for all this great information, it really helps. :rolleyes:

We are currently applying for a state sponsorship in WA. On the application form they require you to stipulate the amount of money you will be bringing into WA. Does anyone know if there is a minimum amount required???

Thanks

Yellow

there was a thread posted earlier about amounts needed for the different states, will try look for the thread now for you

I know in Tasmania we needed a minimum of $20 000 for main applicant, $10 000 for every other applicant