Going it alone

Hi

We haved decided not to use immigration agents (thanks to advise from this chat line) and am wading through all the application information for visa 175. Am already needing advice!!

With regard to personal documents I see that the birth certificates need to show names of both parents. Is this correct and does this mean we have to get other birth certificates from Home Affairs? If so, does anyone know what this involves and I suppose the whole family (2 adults, 2 kids) need to get new birth certificates.

Terry :ilikeit:

Unabridged birth and marriage certificates required.

Best of luck with your application. I am sure all your questions will be answered on the forum! :ilikeit:

Yes, all (2+2) needs unabridged birth certificates. They differ from the ones we normally get when registering a baby because both parents and their ID numbers are on it. The same for your unabridged marraige cerificate. Just go to Home Affairs and ask for the application forms (4 unabridged birth and 1 marraige) I can't remember what it will cost.

While you are there also apply for kids passports and make sure your passports are valid for at least another 4+years.

Have you done your IELTS and Skills Assessments?

This is the frustrating stuff that can waste a lot of time.......

We're also doing this without an agent - it's really not that hard, the forumites should start charging agentfees - you'll get much better service and quicker replies :ilikeit:

takes 2-3 months to get the unabridged ("full") certificates. For safety get these for birth and marriage.

2-3 months ??? I can't remember mine taking that long. But then again that's just my birth cert. The standard answer from them is, 4-6 weeks, but you could expect is earlier. Just give em a call every now and again and enquire about the status of your certs. The main problems are the IELTS, there is a looooonnnnggg waiting list, rather book it now while you can. Usually it's fully booked for up to 3-4 months.

Next have your skills assessed. All the information are on the immi website as well as the assessing authorities. That will also take anywhere from 4-6 weeks up to a couple of months, depending on your skill and the assessing authority.

Leave the police clearance and medical checks for the last things you need to do, some people do it when they have a CO, others do it a couple of months after submitting their applications.

Also for the assessing, you might need to get references from your previous jobs for the last 5 years, this also takes time as some companies don't keep staffing records that long ago or the people you worked under has left. Also you have to get your CV in order for the assessment. Some places also require your university transcripts if you studied.

You also need information about your immediate family, like birthdays, health problems, etc etc. This will be needed at application submission.

I think that's it, there might be some other things that i'm missing, but that's about it.

If you hold one of the passports below you dont need to do IELTS unless you want the additional points if you hold one of the passports below I think you get 15 points if you do IELTs and score a certain amount of points (not sure what amount maybe someone here can confirm what points you need) you can get an additional 10 points.

ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS

If you are the holder of an eligible passport issued by:

the United Kingdom (UK)

Canada

New Zealand

the United States of America (USA) or

the Republic of Ireland

you are considered to have met the threshold English language requirement (competent or vocational English) and are not be required to sit an IELTS or OET test.

Wow thanks guys for all the replies. Will be spending a day next week at Home Affairs. Have been on the IELTS website and will book soonest. What on earth is an unabridged marriage certificate - this is one hell of a learning curve!!

Terry

We lodged ours alone as well - also thanks to the forum and the web.... We have applied for the 120 Employer nominated visa. Only posted the application last week and still to do medicals so will see how good our paperwork was and let you know......

K

The unabridged Marraige certificate also has both sets of parents' names and ID's

Reallu Miran? I used the one given to us when we got married. It is a hand written one that states " UNABRIDGED MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE" on the top and has an official stamp etc. It has our ID numbers and my previous surnames... I am sure my parents are not mentioned. Is that going to be ok? Has anyone used a similar document with success???

Edited by We R Going!

The handwritten one we received on our wedding day, is definitly only a Marraige Certificate. There is no mention of "unabridged" on it.

But I checked again: the Unabridged Marraige Certificate just gives you and your husband's details, as well as place, date, marraige officer ect. - the same as on the original certificate. It's just printed, not hand-written.

I'm also interested to know if the original are OK. I was just following the 100steps to immigrate..... :blush:

I also believe a SANDF clearance certificate. This is if you an any way serverd in the SA Defence Force, even the compulsory service.

I have managed to get mine the same day but I have visited them in the Poyntons building.

The handwritten one we received on our wedding day, is definitly only a Marraige Certificate. There is no mention of "unabridged" on it.

But I checked again: the Unabridged Marraige Certificate just gives you and your husband's details, as well as place, date, marraige officer ect. - the same as on the original certificate. It's just printed, not hand-written.

I'm also interested to know if the original are OK. I was just following the 100steps to immigrate..... :blush:

Hi Miran - we have two hand written. One on the day we got married and the other was collected two months after our marriage and it is hand written and DEFINITELY says Unabridged Marriage Certificate on it. It is a Bl-36 form from home affairs and has a serial number etc..... I am sure this is ok.... Has a home affairs stamp as well.

Hoping this is ok cos that is all we have..............

Unabridged marriage certificate should have the parents' names. Sometimes their id numbers are not there, but that is not a problem. DEFINITELY not a normal marriage certificate

Our normal marriage certificate was accepted, the handwritten one. Maybe we just got lucky?

Jip, my unabridged one is also a BI-36 so printed or handwritten should make no difference......

The original was a BI-27 (Marriage Certificate)

Polly, my Unabridged MC doesn't have my husband's or my parents names or ID's. I'm just sending it "as is" and hoping for the same luck as Zorba.

To be honest, I think you should apply for the other one just in case. You don't want to wait an extra three months for your visa if they don't accept the one you have. We were told in no uncertain terms that the handwritten one we had was not acceptable.

Have a backup plan :ilikeit:

• 2 weeks later...

Also apply for the documentation from Home Affairs if you or your wife changed names/surnames in the past. We waited for about 4 months to get a copy of this document.

Pieter&Rene

Hi,

I have found this company called BUNNYHOP Document Services and they charge a fee and you can get all your documents such as unabridged birth certificates, unabridged marriage certificates and police clearance certificates within 1 month. I have heard way too many horror stories about the dept of home affairs. Much easier and safer to use Bunnyhop.

Good luck

jackie

Have a look at this posting - I put a list of the docs on for help. If you need any help please feel free to PM me and I will tell you where, how and what in our case. This is perfectly doable and dont let comments from agents put you off - I got three skills assessments through and ultimately got my visa on an occupation three of them told me I dont stand a chance.

With us now on the move I should be able to give you a hand in some aspects.

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?s=&am...st&p=164717

Edited by Pine and Riana Pienaar