SA Entertainers performing in Australia

Barnone

Live South African Entertainers  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to watch SA entertainers perform live in Australia ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on the type of entertainer
  2. 2. Which type of SA Entertainers would you pay to watch live in Australia ?

• Afrikaans Music
    • Celebrity Speakers
    • Comedians
    • "Cross over" Music
    • SA music DJ's
    • Musical Theatre
    • Rock Bands
  3. 3. How much would you pay ?

• AU$ 50 +
    • AU$ 70 +
    • AU$ 90 +

We have someone who is willing to put up the money to bring SA artists over to Australia, but we need to do our home work, so please help us get it right !

At this point we are only looking at Melbourne, Perth, Sydney & perhaps Brisbane but if there is demand for 100 tickets plus we may consider other towns & cities.

Any names of SA entertainers who have been there in the last 3 years we know of Johnny Clegg, Mark Lottering, Hugh Masekela, Umoja, Soweto Gospel Choir, Pieter Smith, Danie Niehaus, Robbie Wessels (Poena) and Wicus Van Der Merwe (Klein Tolla)... maybe you would like to see them again ?

Names of SA entertainers who you would like to see perform there ?

(We know from previous threads that Casper de Vries has a SAAustralia fan club already !)

Edited by Barnone

Don't know if anybody is aware of this but Dreamy and myself REALLY like Casper. :unsure:

Mark Lottering in Perth YES YES YES :ilikeit: I have a dvd of one of his shows..."from the Cape flats with love"...it is excellent! I tell you , if you are missing that true Cape culture just watch that.

Lindy-Lee

:blush:

WoooHoooo :ilikeit::unsure::blush:

I would love to see Barry Hilton, Mark Loettrering and Leon Schuster, from a comedy point of view. Musically, I would pay to see Arno Carstens and Johnny Clegg.

Ajay

WOW! I would love to see Mark Lottering, Barry Hilton and Casper. Hubby would love tee Poena, and I would watch Arno Carstens & Johnny Clegg as well maybe Nicholis Louw or Kurt Darren.

List is so long.

LL, you have got to tell me where you found a dvd for Mark Lottering?

Bring 'em on, Barnone! :ilikeit: we can't wait!

As you know by now, I am a fanatic when it comes to the performing arts. I like almost everything, from Johnny Clegg, Arno Carstens, Robbie Wessels, and many more. I think Mark Lottering is great, and of course, me and Lindy-Lee are the leaders(only members???) of the Casper Fan Club :ph34r: .

Some of my all time favourite performers are also Soli Philander - (who can remember the blunder Henriëtta Gryffenberg made with his name?) and Saranti Rheeders, who I almost met :blush: (Hahaha laughing at myself!)

Anyone remember Bright Blue? They had this hit song, which was still being played when we left a year ago: Weeping. Pity they aren't so active anymore. Barnone, do you know if the Peter Cohen from FreshlyGround is the same Peter Cohen from Bright Blue? I see that FreshlyGround has won an award for their music! :unsure:

I think SA artitists are world class, but unfortunately you have to know the SA culture intimately to be able to fully appreciate their work. That is also the thing that makes them so extremely unique in the world, although I think it might hamper them in taking their art overseas.

Greetings,

Dreamy

LL, you have got to tell me where you found a dvd for Mark Lottering?

Hi D

ek het jou PM gestuur.

Lindy-Lee

:ilikeit:

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hey Barnone,

I was actually wondering where you have been, glad to see you're back (or have I just been unfortunate in missing your posts lately ?). Ah cool ! Please can you send over Barry Hilton !! :ilikeit: I will even put up posters at the SA shop in Dural for him ! Ajay and I will sit in the front row. :blush:

Love

SS

:unsure:

Edited by Sunshine Sister

I've just been thinking....you know who I would love to see together in a show....Evita (Pieter Dirk Uys) and Ozzie Dame Edna....man what a show that will be :ilikeit:

Would love to see...the cousin Barry Hilton too :unsure:

Lindy-Lee

:blush:

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Barnone - I would also love to see Pieter Dirk Uys with Dame Edna - what a hoot. Maybe you can arrange a round trip tour of Aus. & S. Africa with both of them. :ilikeit: I'm not a huge fan of Barry Hilton, actually. Maybe he reminds me too much of my roots... :hug:

I have in the past paid to see Freshly Ground (when they opened for Robbie Williams), Arno Carstens, Watershed, Casper De Vries and one of my regrets so far is that we kept missing Just Jinger (Ginger?? - not sure of the latest spelling). How talented is Art? Have had their CD's for almost 10 years now, surely.

We also recently bought the new Robbie Wessels CD with 'Leeuloop' :ph34r: to my surprise it's great music and I wasn't sick of it until right near the end. I would probably also pay to see Theuns Jordaan, one of my faves. And Karen Zoid! I love her, but I think she just had a baby, so she might be out of action for a while.

Maybe you could convince 2 or 3 artists to tour together to save costs and attract more people to the concerts.

Who are the guys that did the cover of 'Charlie'? - slipped my mind, but they were very cool and we haven't heard anything from them for ages.

I love South African music, my uncles jammed with the Radio Rats in Springs way back when and I grew up having my ears blasted by electric guitar. Can't get it out of my blood! :blush:

PS. I'm also in the Casper fan club big time. :unsure: He has a wicked sense of humour, but at least he insults everyone in equal doses.

Thanks for a great idea.

Bronwyn

Edited by Bronwyn

Any names of SA entertainers who have been there in the last 3 years we know of Johnny Clegg, Mark Lottering, Hugh Masekela, Umoja, Soweto Gospel Choir, Pieter Smith, Danie Niehaus, Robbie Wessels (Poena) and Wicus Van Der Merwe (Klein Tolla)... maybe you would like to see them again ?

(We know from previous threads that Casper de Vries has a SAAustralia fan club already !)

Thanks to you all for your responses so far ... we were going to try "avoid" bringingthose that had been in the past 3 years but do I understand correctly that you want those people back or that some of you missed the artists last time ? or maybe my question was not posed very clearly.

Great to see comedians are so popular, due to the equipment requirements the costs are considerably lower for them, we are probably going to do a week at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival followed by a whirlwind tour of the state capitals, unfortunately we cannot use either Barry H or Mark L for this as the material needs to be of an international nature & not aimed too directly at SA issues/ audiences but the after tour will be geared more toards SA audiences.

Any other names of people you know have been over or who you would like to see ?

Johnny Clegg, Hugh Masekela, Umoja, Soweto Gospel Choir - these would be an absolute sellout in Adelaide. In fact, I think the Soweto String quartet were here earlier in the year and did sell out, as well as Ladysmith Black Mambazo and of course Mirian Makeba.....

How about trying to get some of the acts into the Womadelaide or the Big Day Out? There is stiff competition though.... just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...
We have someone who is willing to put up the money to bring SA artists over to Australia, but we need to do our home work, so please help us get it right !

At this point we are only looking at Melbourne, Perth, Sydney & perhaps Brisbane but if there is demand for 100 tickets plus we may consider other towns & cities.

Hi Barnone

As you know by now, I would love to see Dozi come over for a show or two!!! He had a great tour in Amerika last year, travalling with his band. They really rocked Texas!!! Other SA entertainers are: Kurt Darren, Matthys Roets and Theuns Jordaan.

I'm sure that the Johnny Clegg fans out there will enjoy Dozi aswell!!

Regards

Karin

How about Wonderboom...? They've certainly got the street-cred with their run-up in the international Battle-of-the-Bands last year. Plus they do a lot of SA classics (in Afrikaans too).

Norm

• 2 years later...

I will pay to see Prime Circle or Seether (but they are not really south african anymore).

Will probably to see Wonderboom or other rock bands too.