Greetings from Wagga Wagga!

Good Witch

Dear forumites,

We made it! We have arrived in awesome Australia, and in our new home-town - Wagga Wagga. It is very hot, but not unpleasantly so neither altogether unfamiliar. The trees sing! There are beetles or something (faeries perhaps?) that 'sing' in sound waves, from one tree to the next all the way up and down the streets, and across the neighborhoods. I thought it was linked to the heat of the day at first, but became aware of them even in the early hours of the morning while the rest of Wagga was asleep and we were wide-eyed and bushy tailed!

I am still amazed (after several days and nights) at how very safe we are in Australia! Last night, to my husband’s amazement, I insisted on us taking (yet another) walk; it was already past midnight! The streets were quiet and dark, and (best of all) SAFE!!!! What an amazing feeling! I am in a constant state of gratitude and awe at how incredibly blessed and privileged we are... I hope to never take for granted the absolute bliss of feeling secure again!

The airport experience at Jhb Intl was... well, it was our last South African experience, and fortunately this provided us with enough humor and patience to get thru it okay, before finally boarding our plane. We flew Qantas direct to Sydney, 11 and a half hours or so... Absolutely exhausting! Tight, uncomfortable, and exhausting. But, the airline staff onboard were great, and there was an air of optimism - perhaps our own? We eventually arrived in Sydney, by then I was buzzing! I had been looking down at this new flat, brown land called Australia from the air, and I could NOT curb the tears of gratitude and relief! Much as I tried! I suddenly realized that I am very soon going to be able to see my darling son Shaughn again - after 7 (almost 8) long years! This part still feels rather unreal to me as we haven't managed to get to Melbourne to meet with him yet, and he works so has not yet made his way to Wagga. We are hoping for a reunion next weekend..! Looking down from the air on this land I felt a peace come over me that I have not felt in too many years to mention... I truly embraced the notion of calling this new land 'home.' And, I do feel so at home here...

Life - I believe - is what we make of it. It's not what happens to us that matters as much as how we deal with it. In a strange way I am grateful for the hard lessons that Africa taught me. These added depth to my character and to my insight. It prepared me in way I probably don't even know yet for a wonderful life in this new land called home. I vow to never take for granted my freedom, and to cherish always the privilege of feeling safe and secure. Basic human rights, I know... But still a privilege, I believe...

Sydney harbor at night is breathtakingly beautiful! Even though I was so incredibly exhausted that I actually fell asleep on several occasions, once while on my feet! And once while on the ferry in mid-conversation with my hubby! LOL! We walked and walked... I eventually could no longer drag my feet, and we somehow made our way back to the hotel. After a shower I fell into bed and was dead to the world until the next morning!

Flying to Wagga from Sydney was quick and easy. I had barely started relaxing into my latest Sudoku puzzle when the pilot announced that we were about to descend for Wagga!

Wagga... it kinda grows on you... Large enough to cater to all our needs (and more!) yet, small enough to retain a 'country' feel. Small enough to walk into town if we wish, and attend to all our business. There's a big old river that runs thru the town, I cannot wait to explore the banks of this river! It is like a large, fat old mother-snake that winds her way thru the district... Trees grow all along the long and winding bank, and I imagine it must have the most amazing shady spots to dream or picnic under! I think we'll do a bit of exploration this weekend!

On Monday is Australia Day! How brilliant is our timing? All of Wagga seems geared towards celebrating this occasion, and the Australians - it seems - take great pride in celebrating who and what they are! With good reason too methinks! So, on Monday we hope to be able to join the general festivities to celebrate all that is great about Australia and being Australian! Granted, we are not yet considered to be 'Australian' per se, but... we are happy to be 'learner' Aussies for now - and will be working towards changing our status as soon as humanly possible to 'full-bred' Australians.

Forum friends, I know only too well what a long and often hard road it is to get to this point. Allow me to say that it is SO worth it in the end... My advice is to hang in there, don't give up... Face each challenge that arises with a song in your heart, because once you too have made your way here, you will agree that this is a land worth waiting and working for. You are all going to be so very happy! At least, that is my wish for you...

With love

Andi

aka: Learner-Australian, Wagga-Wagga-ian!

Thanks for sharing, had tears in my eyes, your reunion with your son is going to be wonderful, I haven't seen my mom for 4 years, I couldn't imagine 7, I am determined to see her this year.

Enjoy Wagga Wagga, sounds like a lovely place, and keep sharing your experiences with us.

Jill

What a lovely post.

Wagga Wagga sounds great.

I do hope you see your son next week-you must be bursting with excitement.

Enjoy and I look to hearing more about your discoveries along the banks of " that fat old mother snake river".

Might the noise you hear perhaps be cicadas?

Ask the locals

CONGRATULATIONS....

You have made it to 'Wagga Wagga'...

brilliant post... (as usual...)

Hope to see ya all soon...

Hugs

Joefromsa (The Savant Family)

GREAT post, thanks!

Keeps us motivated to get just get there....

J

Hi Andi

This sounds great - we have been wondering about the weather as we see such high tempratures and we are due to land in Wagga soon - Please Pm me with info about the town, suburbs and nice places to aty if you can.

I will really appreciate this,

We are due to arrive 1st week of April - cant wait .

Please keep us updated with all the happenings and your experiences.

Look forward to your next post.

When is Gunther starting work?

Good Luck

Brenda & Nick

Sounds wonderful, i am very happy for you. It seems its everything you imagined and wanted. Wish you the very best :)

Wow! I'm so happy for you guys! Can't wait to have that feeling!! Keep the posts coming! :)

Andi, you sound soooooo happy!! I can't wait to see your post about your reunion with your son :-)

Tracey & Family xxxxxx

Wonderful post! Glad to hear you arrived safely and ooking forward to hearing your Aussie-fication over the next months....

HI Andi

I am so happy for you. Sounds great. We are also heading for Sydney. Cant wait to see Sydney at night.

Keep us updated.

Karina

Thanks so much for your lovely post, Andi!

I actually did get goos-bumps reading it!

Good luck with everything and keep us up to date with Wagga-wagga life! (sounds beautiful!) :blush:

Leigh

Andi, with such a wonderful, positive attitude you are destined for great things in Australia!

Welcome home!

zorba

Awww, thanks for all the lovely comments everyone..! I had a lump in my throat, especially with the 'welcome home' comment - thanks Zorba! That's exactly how it feels - as if I have come home. Cliché, I know... but, true none-the-less.

On our first day in Australia (Sydney,) the new American president - Obama - was embarking on the procession towards his inauguration into office. We saw some of it on television in our hotel room, and I remember thinking that this was truly an auspicious day for the world, and a truly GOOD day to begin our new lives Down Under in the lucky country! Obama brings hope to a world that has become mean and war-weary... he is perceived to be a breath of fresh air. You will forgive me for wanting to draw parallels between this mammoth world event and our very own (albeit little by comparison) miracle, the start of our lives in Australia, filled with so much hope and promise too... :lol:

My late father was a cricketer. He made it as a top-notch umpire for some years before his untimely death 12 years ago. How proud he would have been of the South African cricket team playing in Australia! Yet another historical event unfolding during our departure for and arrival in Australia. My January 2009 calendar seems to be bursting with important moments!

Wagga apparently means 'crow' in an Aboriginal language, Wagga Wagga means 'place of many crows.' And, the crows here are gorgeous! Black and white and they seem to be very tame! There are quite a lot of crows in Wagga, but they seem to be out-numbered by the incredible parrots that fly wild! I am constantly in awe at the many beautiful birds! Just yesterday we saw another type of parrot in one of the trees by the river. Exotic birds that live freely and untamed. It is quite something to see! Our former beloved pet parrot Bartie (whom we had to find a new home for before we left for Aus) would have been in his element amongst these other gorgeous creatures in the Wagga sky!

Yesterday was Australia Day! And we are the proud owners of... (wait for it...) an Aussie flag! LOL! Yes! I know it's probably not a big deal seeing as everybody else in Aus also has one, but, I was VERY proud yesterday to participate in the festivities with (new) flag in hand! So, off we went into the streets late yesterday morning. Following the crowd. We eventually ended up on the banks of the Murrumbidgee River (the fat old mother-snake river) where we gleefully watched families splashing in the water without a care in the world! What a sight! Not a worry in the world - least of all for their safety - and everyone had such a lot of fun in the sun! It reminded me that the average person in the world really only wants a peaceful existence, and that the realms of war and warmongering belongs firmly in the laps of individual world leaders that are often power hungry and filled with greed. The average person doesn't wish to discriminate and hate his neighbor simply because they are different, they just want to be free to raise their children and live a good, wholesome life alongside their neighbor, and occasionally - on days like yesterday - meet the neighbors and their children on the banks of the communal river, have a BBQ and a dip to cool off. Average people want peace and the joys that simple pleasures bring... There's a LOT to be said for 'average.' I really liked the 'average' that I saw yesterday... It makes for a more peaceful world...

Here's to more peace and good averages!

Hugz

Andi

What a lovely post, so very happy for you. I know what you mean about looking through the plane's window when you can finally see Australia, in absolute awe, its an amazing feeling!

Hi Andi and Gunther

Thank you for a very positive post, soooo needed tonight. Thank you for your beautiful words and positive feedback, Just what the Doctor ordered!

Hope your weekend plans for your reunion with your son plays out!

Enjoy, we are thinking of you in the new land :ilikeit:

Stranded

Hi Andi & Gunter - say hi to the Wagga people for me - great bunch of people in Wagga. We stayed in Wagga not for long though ± 8 months and left fantastic friends behind. If you love Wagga in the summer you are going to love Wagga even more in the Winter - it is absolutely beautiful in the winter. Enjoy all you exploring !!

Hi Andi!

Nice to hear that you are enjoying your new experiences it sounds wonderfull, I couldn't help but picture a kind of Tolkein inspired shire living from your posts.

Keep em coming and maybe throw in a picture or two if you can..

all the best

T

Hey T, that's so cool! I am delighted that my words inspired Tolkein-esque images in your mind, as I am a huge hobbit (and golum) fan! *chuckle* Well, just to add to that, here's a little something for ya all, it's two little 'somethings' that I wrote years ago, and kinda reminds me of where I am at in my life now... If I remember correctly the first one was published years ago in a coffe-table anthology in the USA. Enjoy!

Physics and Faeries

The wholeness of creation

Is alive within me,

Principles of time and space

And synchronicity.

In its simplest form

And in its complexity,

The wholeness of creation

Is alive within me.

Chaos and order,

Elements evolutionary;

Physics through to faeries

Science and mystery.

Universes, Multiverses

Dimensions of reality

-many of which I cannot see,

Yet, all of creation

Is alive within me.

Andi Fisher © 1998-2009

God's Reflection

I have seen God

In the hues of the sunrise,

On the wings of a dragon-fly,

In the depth of a child's eyes.

S/he has appeared

In the smallest of things,

Sometimes just a kind smile

Or the comfort a kind heart brings.

These moments hold a mirror

Into which we all can stare,

For God reflects back onto us

Reminding us that S/he's there

Andi Fisher © 1998-2009

THAT'S AMAZING :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Baie dankie vir die 2 mooi gedigte. Dit was regtig baie aangenaam om dit te lees.

Telanie

Edited by Robert & Telanie