Switch from 175 to 176?

Johan du Toit

With the recent changes to the VISA allocation priorities, why cant I move to a state sponsorship like 176 for example. I am currently on 175 and about to lodge my application. I have only checked Southern and Western Australia's occupation list so far and I am on those.

I understand those will be prioritized. That could mean I get in much quicker?

What are the financial and administrative implications?

My first choice is Perth.

I might be totally confused, but I need your expert advise. The way it is now, the 175s will never reach the front of the queue, because the sponsored visas always get priority. I am worried.

And what if somebody already applied for 175 last year, but doesn't have a CO yet, is it at all possible to change your application to 176? Personally I have not applied for anything yet, but got this question through a PM. I have no idea if it can be done.

I am pretty much in the same boat, I am waiting for my skills assessment to be finalised, and then I was planning to apply for the 175 visa. But since nobody is sure what is going to happen with the 175 visas now, I have decided to switch to 176 state sponsored. My 175 would not have been on either the CSL or MODL lists by the way.

Hello All,

As long as your occupation is on a state eligibility list then you are able to change your application from a SC175 to SC176 - even after it is lodged. There is no fee for this.

I would advise making your application o the state government first then once you have approval changing your visa application from a SC175 to a SC176. This can be done using the 'post lodgement query' on the DIAC website.

Most states require that you have done extensive research on their state before applying for sponsorship - as so many are now applying for state sponsorship this has become an important part of the application. Please make sure that you research and answer all their questions fully.

Feel free to contact me if you need more info.

That is good news. I am on the CSL, MODL, SOL and state occupation lists. Electronics Engineer.

I only found out recently that I have moved to MODL as wel. My agents did not let me know. I had to go to all the trouble to my university for a letter that I was educated in Afrikaans, just to get the extra 5 points to make 120. Now I see I actually have a total of 135.

I ask again. Why do I pay them? I am the one who is doing all the work and research.

I ask again. Why do I pay them? I am the one who is doing all the work and research.

Hi Werner

I feel the same about my useless agent but this is a topic for another day.

On the 176/475: you need to complete a questionnaire regadring the research that you have done on that specific state. You need to supply proof of this research as well. Not a long and difficult questionnaire, but how do you proof a conversation that you had over the phone? The questionnaire also asks about your emotions e.g. how do you plan to cope in a new environment etc.

The 176/475 is also VERY strict that you meet the financial criteria set out. This financial criteria might be diffreent from state to state.

Regards

Herman

That is good news. I am on the CSL, MODL, SOL and state occupation lists. Electronics Engineer.

I only found out recently that I have moved to MODL as wel. My agents did not let me know. I had to go to all the trouble to my university for a letter that I was educated in Afrikaans, just to get the extra 5 points to make 120. Now I see I actually have a total of 135.

We were not going to use agent. Were introduced to an agent and he has been worth double what we are paying him. We were hoping to maybe get in on a temp visa, he got us a PR visa sponsorship! They know the subtlities and opportuntiies and obstacles in the process. When all goes well then doing it yourself is not an issue. Buth when the wheels come off... It's good risk management, assuming you have the right one. There absolute opportunists out there too, have seen the outcome of their activities also.

Hi Werner

On the 176/475: you need to complete a questionnaire regadring the research that you have done on that specific state. You need to supply proof of this research as well. Not a long and difficult questionnaire, but how do you proof a conversation that you had over the phone? The questionnaire also asks about your emotions e.g. how do you plan to cope in a new environment etc.

The 176/475 is also VERY strict that you meet the financial criteria set out. This financial criteria might be diffreent from state to state.

Regards

Herman

Herman our agent gave us very specific guidance on how to articulate all of that stuff. Not an issue with guidance.

Hi Werner

Regards

Herman

Thanks Herman. The questionnaire regarding research; is it part of the online application? How much money must I have if I want to go on Skilled Sponsored Visa (SSV) in WA? Will my current pension of about R220 000 (before tax) count towards this? Will it be enough?

Edited by werner du toit

Thanks Herman. The questionnaire regarding research; is it part of the online application? How much money must I have if I want to go on Skilled Sponsored Visa (SSV) in WA? Will my current pension of about R220 000 (before tax) count towards this? Will it be enough?

Hi Werner

See the link to the topic "475 money in bank" : http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=20850 where you will find a link towards South Astralia's online questionaire. There is also a link to what financial cpacity you need to have as well as what you may put done as assets. If you go to the link that states "online application", you will find sample questiones of the questionnaire. Sure that WA will have similar website.

Herman

Werner, yes, the questionnaire will be online - built into the online application. You can save and go back as often as you like once you've started your application (prior to lodgement). I am sure your pension will be more than enough - it is best to list all 'assets' you plan to take to Australia (even profit from selling of property/vehicles pending, if applicable) and attach as extra attachment to show the state you have means of supporting yourself inititally upon landing up until you find a job.

Edited: It seems there IS a financial requirement on 176 state nominated visa. Refer to Booklet 6 - General Skilled Migration

Read all about the 176 visa here: Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176) (NB: The 176 visa can also be relative-sponsored, but read all info that specifically pertains to state-nominated 176 visa.)

Very important link for you is: Nomination by State/Territory government - click on Western Australia to find all specific details (do your own research beyond what your agent can offer you.)

Please note that the skills lists (eligible for state nomination) for most states have changed on 12 January 2009. Refer to this thread for more info: Major Changes on 176 in Victoria, New List - It contains a link for ALL states - not only Victoria.

Good luck!

Edited by kangaroo

I have just completed my online application for State Sponsorship to WA. Easy as pie. Just waiting for result. How long should it take?

I have just completed my online application for State Sponsorship to WA. Easy as pie. Just waiting for result. How long should it take?

4-6 weeks

Hi,

I just switched too, but on a 136 to 137 (old version of the 175/176). It took 3 days for WA to approve sponsorship and another 4 weeks and my visa was granted, they are on the ball. No extra fees at all - it has been a breeze!

4-6 weeks

For the VISA or the sponsership results? If it is for the sponsorship results, then I will miss the 13 Feb deadline.

For the VISA or the sponsership results? If it is for the sponsorship results, then I will miss the 13 Feb deadline.

Hi Werner

Jammer dit is slegs vir die sponsorship results. You then immediately lodge at DIAC and with the new timeline nobody knows how long thereafter.

Hi Werner

Jammer dit is slegs vir die sponsorship results. You then immediately lodge at DIAC and with the new timeline nobody knows how long thereafter.

I will lodge the 175 in about 1 week. Will change it to 176 online after that when I get sponsorship.

This is all Home Affair's fault. They took 5 months with my birth certificates. I was ready to lodge in August already.

Who knows how much time and money they have cost me with their pathetic incompetence.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello All,

As long as your occupation is on a state eligibility list then you are able to change your application from a SC175 to SC176 - even after it is lodged. There is no fee for this.

I would advise making your application o the state government first then once you have approval changing your visa application from a SC175 to a SC176. This can be done using the 'post lodgement query' on the DIAC website.

Most states require that you have done extensive research on their state before applying for sponsorship - as so many are now applying for state sponsorship this has become an important part of the application. Please make sure that you research and answer all their questions fully.

Feel free to contact me if you need more info.

Hi

Please tell me how I can change our 175 to 176 if:

1. We don't have R100 000's in the bank

2. My husband (Main applicant) is currently a primary school teacher/dept principal/acting principal

We lodged on 22 Sept '08 and have 2 kids (One in Grade 1 currently) and the other turning 5....

We're aiming for Perth!

PLEASE