Long Weekend in Queensland

Cindylou

So I'm going to be working in Queensland for two weeks in Jan and need to decide where to spend the Aussie Day weekend - my options are Brisbane, Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast. If any of you living "that side" have a good suggestion please post here....

So I'm going to be working in Queensland for two weeks in Jan and need to decide where to spend the Aussie Day weekend - my options are Brisbane, Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast. If any of you living "that side" have a good suggestion please post here....

We live on the gold coast, but last year spent Australia day up at Southbank in Brisbane.

the atmosphere was very festive, people very patriotic.. and lots of entertainment laid on..

:thumbdown:

if you want hustle and bustle and see how the other side lives (rich and famous and spoilt kids). Gold Coast.

if you want a relaxing holiday, Sunshine Coast without a doubt.

if you want to see drunkards everywhere, Brisbane.

Hi Cindylou

Even though I myself don't live in QLD, Noosa Heads on Sunshine Coast is one of my favourite spots in QLD - stunningly beautiful beaches, interesting little shops & boutiques (even world-renowned photographer Peter Lik has one of his photographic galleries here) and definitely the place I would have chosen had I been in your position looking for a place over a long weekend. Tip: There is an authentic Italian restaurant (whose name I now forgot) right on the beach at Noosa Heads with delectable food, gorgeous view on to beach and wonderful atmosphere. Lots of other good restaurant choices too. (Google 'Noosa' to find accommodation etc. - it's a very popular place, but not as rushed as some other tourist spots can get.) The greenery and general natural beauty in Noosa (and rest of Sunshine Coast) is hard to beat.

If you go to Gold Coast (some beautiful areas here), avoid Surfer's Paradise - has a bit of a tacky feel. Also avoid theme parks (e.g. Water World, Movie World etc.) unless that's something you'd like. If you're in Gold Coast area, be sure to visit Mount Tamborine - stunning little village into the hinterland not far from Gold Coast, with many walking/hiking trails. Feels like you're 'in the mountains' - also lots of quaint little shops, coffee houses, art galleries, restaurants and fantastic atmosphere. Also a bit cooler than rest of (quite humid) QLD due to its altitude.

I'd go for either Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast as you'll be coming from Perth. Brisbane is a nice enough city, but my guess is that you'd need more of a relaxed (complete change of scenery) get-away than merely being in yet another city environment.

Enjoy the decision and hope you have a great time wherever you go! :huh:

Thanks guys!

I think I'll take Roogirl's advice and take some time out from Bris, I'll be there from Sat to the Friday of the w'end so I'm sure that I'll be in need of some chill time. Now to decide: up, or down, mmmmm both sound so tempting......

Well, looks like I'll be heading up to Noosa for a few days RnR - thanx for the advice Kangaroo, I almost couldn't resist jumping on the next plane to the SC, you made it sound so wonderful!

You're welcome C'Lou :ilikeit:

You've made a good choice - hope you have an AWESOME time and well-deserved break in beautiful Noosa.

I'm sure you've already done your own research, but here's a preview of what you can look forward to:

Photos of Noosa Heads & surroundings

The Peter Lik gallery I mentioned is in Hastings Street, Noosa Heads (Exact address = Shop 2, Seahaven, 9 Hastings St, Noosa Heads). BTW: The authentic little Italian restaurant I mentioned (whose name I forgot) is also on Hastings Street. At the back of Hastings Street lies the main beach of Noosa Heads...stunning.

You'll no doubt immediately recognise Peter Lik's photography - especially his landscape photography has been used all over the world in postcards, books, magazines, on cards etc. (Even more fantastic seeing that he's completely self-taught.)

Here's a Cosmotourist review I stumbled upon: Travel Tip: Peter Lik Gallery I can only agree - especially if photography is something you like, consider paying the gallery a visit. I loved it.

Enjoy! :lol: