Rockhampton/Yeppoon Queensland

Emille

Hi

I will be arriving in Rockhampton on 28 October.

I would like to write/meet up with other South Africans already living there or on their way there.

Thanks

Emille

Hi Emile,

I know there are quite a few saffers in Rocky, you will love it there, especially Yeppoon, wouldn't mind living there myself.

Jill

Hi Emille

If you Google doctors in Rockhampton you will come up with dozens of SA surnames.They could put you in touch with the local SA club.Good luck.

Hi Emille,

We are in Rockhampton, has been since July'08.

There is a big Saffer community here. You could try NickyG, Vossie and numerous others.

Good luck and welcome to Rocky. :)

Edited by PROzzie

Hi Emile

My nephew is in Yappoon, also previous from Cape Town. PM me if you would like me to send his contact details

Martin

Hi Emille,

We are in Rockhampton, has been since July'08.

There is a big Saffer community here. You could try NickyG, Vossie and numerous others.

Good luck and welcome to Rocky. :ilikeit:

Hi Prozzie

Thanks for the reply. I have made contact with (the famous) Vossie. We will only arrive in Rocky on 28 October.

How are you finding it there?

E

Hi Prozzie

Thanks for the reply. I have made contact with (the famous) Vossie. We will only arrive in Rocky on 28 October.

How are you finding it there?

E

Hallo there,

We are enjoying ourselves, the people are friendly and helpful and the weather - well compared to Jhb - great!!!! I think it is a stunning place.

Good luck with the preparations, it is a VERY Loooooooong flight. :ilikeit:

Prozzie

Yes we are leaving CT at 12:00 on the Monday, and arrive in Rockhampton the Tuesday evening. And that with a 15 year old....

IS the weather not too hot/humid (I suppose you havent had the summer weather yet)

E

HI Emile,

It gets hot in Rockhampton and humid, but maybe a bit of a dry heat.

You will get used to it, most houses in Oz have airconditioners or evaporative cooling systems, plus I find the shopping centres are very well airconditioned, not like in SA when they get too full they don't function well enough.

Plus the schools have airconditioning as well.

have a good weekend, Jill

Hi Jill

I managed to secure a flat in Yeppoon for 3 months (Nov-Jan), its fully airconditioned and there is a pool so I guess we would survive the three hottest months! My employer will also give me a car with aircon. I will be commuting Yeppoon- to Rocky daily.

Take care

Emille

Hey Emille

Min Dae - It is a good town to be in, it is getting pretty hot is was 33 deg C here today so be warned. Yeppon is a great place to stay and Emu park even better, not as commercial. They say in Rocky you hit about 37 - 40 deg C so it is very hot, you do not go outside much as you cannot take the heat, you have to go through a season to get used to the climate.

I thought your little one was 15 months old?

Chat soon and looking forward to meeting you. BTW it is just as important to mix with Ozzies as SA's in order to adjust

Nicki

Hi Nicky,

I think he meant 15 months.

Hi Emille,

The flat sounds lovely, we are coming to Yeppoon for 5 days in January for a holiday, looking forward to it. You will get used to the heat, the airconditioners work very well here. There is a lovely new shopping centre in Yeppoon, with a nice big Big W, (our favourite shop), so your wife will enjoy that, nice shoe shop, clothes shop and a really nice Woolworths and butcher.

bye for now Jill

Hey Emille

Min Dae - It is a good town to be in, it is getting pretty hot is was 33 deg C here today so be warned. Yeppon is a great place to stay and Emu park even better, not as commercial. They say in Rocky you hit about 37 - 40 deg C so it is very hot, you do not go outside much as you cannot take the heat, you have to go through a season to get used to the climate.

I thought your little one was 15 months old?

Chat soon and looking forward to meeting you. BTW it is just as important to mix with Ozzies as SA's in order to adjust

Nicki

Hi Nicki

Thanks for the post. Yes I must say I have prepared myself for the worst in terms of temperature. As you know CT never gets that hot- we hover around 23'C even in summer. And we've had an exceptional cold winter- for instance today is 15'C (with Melbourne at 22'C- shows you!). Being from the coast I thought Yeppoon would be a good choice, and as the employer pays for the car and petrol, it wont cost me more except of cause in time.

Sorry yes my son is 15 months old- I sometimes say 15 years...(when I dont think).

Yes I am also looking forward to meeting you. I know yes I would like to make friends with Ozzies too but obviously a good start are the few SA'ers...

Take care

Emille

Hi Nicky,

I think he meant 15 months.

Hi Emille,

The flat sounds lovely, we are coming to Yeppoon for 5 days in January for a holiday, looking forward to it. You will get used to the heat, the airconditioners work very well here. There is a lovely new shopping centre in Yeppoon, with a nice big Big W, (our favourite shop), so your wife will enjoy that, nice shoe shop, clothes shop and a really nice Woolworths and butcher.

bye for now Jill

Hi Jill!

Yes 15 months ha ha.

Yes Ive chosen the flat via the internet- so all I know of it are the photos from the internet, but its brand new, its got a huuuuuge pool (my wife Sonja said thats her minimum requirement considering the weather!) and the owner will furnish it for us. Its probably small but all we need at this stage, nice that we dont have to book temporaray accommodation/hotel as that wouldhave been very expensive.

See you soon!

Emille