Can we manage on this in Gold Coast?

sharksfan

Hi All,

I know there was a posting refering to salaries and expenses and "making it" on here a while ago. I have located the calculator that Woodag/Werner posted BUT I am really hoping that someone from Brisbane/Gold Coast can tell us whether the following is an ok salary: $75,000 plus 9% super?

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (ages: 2 + newborn). Will this be acceptable for us to get by in GoldCoast?

Can anyone give un an idea of the list the monthly living costs in GoldCoast so that we can make a decision as to whether accept this salary?

At this point our thinking is that we should take the opportunity as its a once in a lifetime, winning the lottery type thing (we will be sponsored on 457) and not quibble too much about the starting salary.

I would really appreciate any advice in this regard.

Cheers,

Sharksfan

:ilikeit:

Hi Sharksfan,

I don't know about the Gold Coast, but that is one heck of a salary to me!

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Sharksfan,

If it is that once in a lifetime opportunity I'd say take it. As I always say it all depends one what you are used to currently and what your expectations would be. I don't know for what job this is, but to answer your question - I definitely think you would get by on it. Once here you can reassess.

Chatterbug

Hi Sharksfan

You should be able to comfortably live on this income. What profession are you in? Depending on this DIMIA has a threshold of the minimum salary you have to be on (without any allowances etc) and if you earn enough you can get the benefit of claiming LAFHA (Living Away From Home Allowance) and that would be a substantial tax benefit on a monthly basis, which means that you will have more cash in hand. Will the kids be attending child care or stay with mom? If they are going to attend school - that can be quite costly around $800 to $1000 per month if they go full day. To rent a good size home for a family of 4 can cost you between $ 3oo to $ 400 per week (up to a 4 bedroom with aircon etc). Transport to get to and from work minimum a $ 120 depending on where you have to travel and what method you choose to make use of. Private medical aid will cost you around $320 for a family of 4. Telephone costs around $100 + broadband etc.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards

Rialet

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your responses. I know its one of those questions that may be "not something to ask other people". However, this opportunity has come up out of the blue and with no LSD trip its difficult to work out salary vs expenses.

The job is in the Financial Services industry and is a one in a million opportunity because we do not qualify for General Skilled Migration visa. So having an employer who is willing to sponsor us is a fantastic opportunity. Also, we had always wanted to move to Brisbane area rather than Sydney (we have friends in Brisbane and prefer the climate) and had assumed that we would have to find an employer in Sydney (it being the financial centre with investment banking).

So fingers crossed we can get off of mud island soon and move down under by Xmas! B)

Cheers,

Sharksfan

:lol:

Mate, if you can't get by on 75 Grand a year, you are living too high a life.

The essential thing is that you live within your means . . . . and 75 big ones will see you by without too many dramas.

Just be ready to tighten your belts for the first couple of years, as you're settling into a new country and are flying blind for the first bit of time.

Eventually, you start to save your income more and more by not having to rent, for instance, and know which are the cheaper stores to buy at, etc., etc.

You will be able to get by on that income. It may not be as much as London wages, but then again, you'll find the living expenses in Australia relatively less.

Hi Sharksfan

I lived in Kloof/Hillcrest for 10 years and have lived on the Gold Coast for the past 5.

It is a WONDERFUL place to live. Forget Surfers Paradise- there are many beautiful hinterland areas which will make you think you are still in Pietermaritzburg!(if that is what you want)

$75 000 will do you fine! GRAB IT! Also- Many Sharkfans here!