How much do you need to earn in AUD to make a living

Happy2Bhere

Hi everybody

this is a question to all of you that has already made the BIG move to Oz.....

How much do you need to earn in Melbourne to make a decent living. We are a family of 4 (me, hubby and 2 toddlers). My husband had a job offer in Melbourne on an 457 visa.

We would just like to know if we would be able to make a living on $120,000 Ozzie dollars per year if I stay at home with the kids. Bearing in mind that he gets a company car and cellphone.

Thanks

Trudie

Hi Trudie,

It's hard to say because different people have different standards and expenses, but I would suggest that you could have a fairly comfortable suburban existence with $120,000 as a family of four. You wouldn't be rich, but you certainly wouldn't starve.

Hi TrudieD,

My opinion is that is an excellent salary and you would be able to live comfortably and stay at home with the kids.

Jill

Hi Trudie,

It's hard to say because different people have different standards and expenses, but I would suggest that you could have a fairly comfortable suburban existence with $120,000 as a family of four. You wouldn't be rich, but you certainly wouldn't starve.

Thanks for you reply. :ilikeit:

I see that you are in Melbourne. Weird question......... Is the grass on the other side realy greener? Is it realy as nice as everybody says? I am so affraid about this move.... to leave everybody here in SA and move my whole life there....

Trudie

Geez, $120 000 for single income, and you won't starve...

I am going to squat somewhere on $60 000!!! Someone living in a big place, nice garden? Can I bring my "sinke & primus stofie"?! Promise I won't bring the whole family, just a cousins and aunties and... :ilikeit:

That is a major question, and the basic answer I came up with (bearing in mind this was done sitting my lounge in Joburg...), it that from $80,000 we would be able to live, and from $120 we would be able to start looking for a property to buy.

I asked a friend that has been in Sydney for about 5 months, and R80k (gross) is also what he needs for a family of 4 (while renting).

I found this link very informative also; http://www.aussiemove.com/aus/costlive.asp

Hope this helps.

Hi Trudie D

Don't know about the grass being greener in Melbourne, you know we have had a drought for the last few years! LOL. However, when the grass died we made a plan and brought out the plastic grass......

Life is good here, sleep well, no alarms to set, no grill gates to lock, no firearms to clean and load, no security guards to worry about, no burglar bars, sheesh, I could go on and on and on!

Thanks everybody for all your input... it makes things a bit more clear....

We are going to dinner tomorrow night after hubby comes back from Namibia (on business) to make the final decision. The company in Melbourne is asking for it before the weekend is up.

We need to do this for our kids!!!! :ilikeit:

Regards

Trudie

I asked a friend that has been in Sydney for about 5 months, and R80k (gross) is also what he needs for a family of 4 (while renting).

I assume you meant $80k and not R80k... but really I cannot see how a family of 4 can survive on $80k p/a in Sydney, even if renting. Can probably do it, but you'll have to live on the bare necessities only.

Thanks for you reply. :lol:

I see that you are in Melbourne. Weird question......... Is the grass on the other side realy greener? Is it realy as nice as everybody says? I am so affraid about this move.... to leave everybody here in SA and move my whole life there....

Trudie

Again, it's hard to say because it depends on what kind of a lifestyle you had back in SA.... but in my experience...

I lived in SA and the UK and for me the grass is definitely greener here because to me Australia combines the first world elements of the UK with the outdoors and sunny lifestyle of South Africa, minus the crime and uncertainty.

It still amazes me how I can carry on my daily life without having to even think of safety. The opportunities are endless if you're prepared to work hard.

I'll admit that the hardest part for me was, and still is, leaving friends and family behind. That's the key to making it in a new country - finding your new friends and family. Sad but true.

I guess you have to weigh up whether being around your friends and family is more important to you than looking over your shoulder.

I would suggest that if you did come over - immerse yourself in as much as possible. Work hard, join clubs, play sport, study, meet people, keep busy, and thus you don't give yourself enough time to sit around and miss home. I think that's where I first went wrong, and where I'm starting to come right now.

Phew, apologies for the essay.

• Like 1

I don't know about Melbourne, but in Adelaide you would have a royal life on that amount of money!

I would suggest that if you did come over - immerse yourself in as much as possible. Work hard, join clubs, play sport, study, meet people, keep busy, and thus you don't give yourself enough time to sit around and miss home. I think that's where I first went wrong, and where I'm starting to come right now.

Phew, apologies for the essay.

Somewhere, on the application forms for PR, I read that you need appr. $930 per week for a family of three to survive in OZ. I presume that is rent, food, everything included. Just have a look..........

Somewhere, on the application forms for PR, I read that you need appr. $930 per week for a family of three to survive in OZ. I presume that is rent, food, everything included. Just have a look..........

It could be, but I think that once again it depends on your standard of living. We're managing fine on less than that. I think you'll need more if you're still setting up home and need to buy everything, where as we don't need to buy much extra stuff as we moved here with almost everything we need (once it arrives). :whome:

We are going to dinner tomorrow night after hubby comes back from Namibia (on business) to make the final decision. The company in Melbourne is asking for it before the weekend is up.

We need to do this for our kids!!!! :hug:

Regards

Trudie

Trudie,

IMHO it's a no-brainer. Just pack and go already!!

Good luck.

zorba

:blink:

Do you know what the cost of living is? -- generally your income + 5%, no matter how much you earn, you end up with a bigger house and car and scraping from one month to the next.

(I bit of my insight LOL) B

Hi Maloui

You are not the only one anticipating being in the $60 000 boat as my hubbies is a graphic designer and the wages are not the best. If I work part time I could add to the dollars which is the plan. But we are also already trying to tighten the belt to prepare for the leap to Aus.

Hi Trudie

I think you will be well off with that kind of income and company benefits. We are also going to Melbourne on a 457, and I thought my hubby will be getting a good salary, but it is less than what you will be getting (and no company car and cellphone). We are three (only one toddler) and I plan to stay at home too, so I'm sure you will be better off than we will be.

I might work part time later on, but I hope it will be because I want to, not because I have to.

Go for it!

Alibaba

Hi Alibaba

when are you leaving for Melbourne? Do you know what area you are going to stay in? The company my hubby is going to work for is in Mount Waverley. He signed the job offer last night and we are meeting the Immigration agency on Friday in Cape Town to get the 457 wheels in motion.

I have 2 kiddies (4 and 3). The 4 year old will be going to school but the 3 year old will be staying with me until we are all settled in. I do want to work later (accounting) on just to get out a little bit. But only contact half day work. Apparently there is a lot of that around... :rolleyes:

Good to "talk" to you.

Trudie

Hi Zorba

Hubby signed the job offer last night and emailed it to them and it is now a done deal. We are already meeting the Immigration agency on Friday to put the 457 wheels in motion.

No brainer..... my brain is in overdrive.

T :rolleyes:

Everytime I read one of these topics I get worried. You see I must be living in a dream world I earn 55k and somehow I have bought a fairly decent car for $29k I am renting a 4 bed house and I even bought furniture for it in Australia. I even manage to send money back to RSA.

Now I am scared because if I wake up from my dream world I may find that I cant really live on that kind of money at all.

Everytime I read one of these topics I get worried. You see I must be living in a dream world I earn 55k and somehow I have bought a fairly decent car for $29k I am renting a 4 bed house and I even bought furniture for it in Australia. I even manage to send money back to RSA.

Now I am scared because if I wake up from my dream world I may find that I cant really live on that kind of money at all.

Its nice to get it from the horses mouth seen as you are already over there!

We are moving to Tasmania later this year and my husbands salary will be less than yours, but its good to know you are having a comfortable life on that amount. I think we all just need to wait and see when we are over there, we might be pleasantly surprised. :thumbdown:

Hi Trudie,

I will say you will live pretty well actually, we are on $120 000 a year between my husband and I in Brisbane and we have no financial stress at this point..

• 4 months later...