Which City to Choose

No Worries Mate

Which city are you going to  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Our reason is (you can choose more than one)

• Job Offer
    • Family live there
    • Friends live there
    • We like it there
    • We want to be on the East Coast
    • We want to be on the West Coast
    • Better oppotunities
    • Regional Visa Requirement
    • Affordable
    • Cosmopolitan lifestyle
    • Climate
  2. 2. City you are choosing

• Sydney
    • Perth
    • Melbourne
    • Brisbane
    • Adelaide
    • Canberra
    • Darwin
    • Hobart
    • Outback
    • Other
    • Gold Coast City
    • Cairns

Hi

After some discussions last night we are still unsure of exactly where to settle. We are currently think Sydney. We will be going over without jobs which makes the choice harder.

I am interested in your reasons for deciding. Anything specific...please write about it.

Andre

Edited by No Worries Mate

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• No Worries Mate

• Andre S

• KimH

• Shelly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We decided to focus our job search on Gold Coast, because of the climate, the sandy beaches, the child friendly lifestyle and all there is to do. There is also a large South African community here, and they support each other.

Always sunny and warm, but not as humid as Brissie, and lovely mild winters, I hear.

So, now we are here and loving it!

Elize

The gold coast is north of Brisbane right?

I would have thought it more humid.....

Andre

Where's the choice for Gold Coast City? It is the sixth biggest city in Oz.

We recently arrived on the Gold Coast (70km SE of Brisbane) and we're really enjoying it here. Great weather, good beaches with warm water, relaxed lifestyle. Just avoid Surfer's Paradise!

I've heard from a couple of people who moved from Sydney that they wished they had come here sooner. Apparently Sydney is too big and too busy, and has bad traffic and pollution. It does look like a beautiful place though.

Edited by graeme_vdv

Graeme

Thanks. I have added Gold Coast City. Any others to add just let me know.

Andre

Thanks. I have added Gold Coast City. Any others to add just let me know.

Andre

Elize

The gold coast is north of Brisbane right?

I would have thought it more humid.....

Andre

It is to the South of Brisbane. I think you are thinking of the Sunshine Coast.

Cant fill in the poll as we have not decided on where to go yet and it is becoming more and more difficult to settle on a place.

We are a young couple about to get married who want to settle and start a family when we reach Aus. He is in IT, I am an attorney so hopefully work wont be a huge problem (once I convert my degree at least)

We know no-one in Aus :)

We like the sound of Brisbane - any advice!?!?!

Maybe we will just have to fork out and do a LSD trip?! Seems so expensive though but I guess this is an investment in your furture...

Kim

Guest natalie3

Cant fill in the poll as we have not decided on where to go yet and it is becoming more and more difficult to settle on a place.

seems we are indeed very similar...(occupation wise)..we are also looking at brisbane..seems like a nice "in between" city..

Edited by natalie3

If you have the money--do a LSD trip. Will help you in this huge decision. All the best!

we are living in adelaide and have been here for a year and really love it!

smaller than the other cities, great beaches and a very relaxed lifestyle and the wine region is awesome!

put adelaide on your list!!

Hi André

The only problem with emigrating to Oz is that you are spoilt for choice. All the cities appear to offer beauty, safety, good weather and a good standard of living.

Listening to stories of other South Africans who have visited and combining one's own experiences of travelling overseas to say the USA, Europe or Canada, one builds up a picture of a place in one's mind. Believe me, once you get to Australia, reality is a pleasant surprise. It is better to do an LSD trip before forming too many pictures in your mind of what things look like. For the optimistic immigrant such as myself, the first LSD trip is a pilgrimage to your new home. Once you see the brown land from over the aeroplane wing, your heart starts racing. Gosh, it looks a lot like South Africa...

First impressions of Sydney are a mixture of amazement and a strange sense of familiarity. Arriving at JFK or Heathrow is more foreign IMO. I have the UK passport and have been over to visit family every few years since I was a child but I still find London foreign and different from Johannesburg. Not necessarily in a bad way, just different. Sydney for me is the closest thing you will find to Johannesburg, minus the crime and grime. Imagine a fully functioning Johannesburg by the sea cross bred with the eurocentricity of Cape Town (urban street culture, smart coffee shops etc.) and a dominant Anglophile history but a new world fusion culture of multiculturalism and you have Sydney.

View of Sydney's Circular Qay from our hotel room. Consider staying the first night in the swanky five star "Four Seasons Hotel" to get the best possible first impression of Sydney. (We got our room at a discounted rate from needitnow.com) get a shuttlebus from the airport; (AU$25 for two adults) Thereafter you can rough it in the Traveller's Lodge on Phillip street which is right next to a tube station and Hyde Park (beautiful park), walking distance to the opera house and museums. The rooms are clean and quiet, there is a little kitchenette, queen bed, sleeper couch and table with chairs. Shower, toilet & basin only in the large en suite; no bath. The tube will take you straight to the airport.

Then again, it FEELS more like an international city like New York, only you get the feeling that it is a smaller, snug version. Again, imagine what Johannesburg could have been without decades of isolation from the rest of the world. If you are looking for an exciting, urban experience in one of the world's top 5 most beautiful cities, choose the Sydney CBD. For many it's a lifestyle choice.

In Johannesburg, the word apartment is a bit of a compromise. Only recently have Sandtonians started to view apartments as a very desirable housing option, but I think that has a lot to do with crime. Flats were always scoffed at by most suburbanites. Sydney has some of the most desirable new modern apartments I have ever seen. Think of Clifton and Cape Town's Waterfront.

If you prefer the suburbs, Sydney has those in abundance.

Bondi is pretty much treeless and unamazing except for the beach, so similar to Muizenberg on my first impression. (Bear in mind I saw it on a drivethru recce.)

Manly is a half hour ferry ride over the Sydney harbour and reminded me almost of 1980's Umhlanga Rocks. Nice beach and beautiful houses; more vegetation. People commute daily to the CBD on the ferry which leaves every half hour. The jet boat is used during peak hours and is faster.

Other suburbs are commutable by ferry from the CBD: Rose Bay, Mosman, and many others. (visit Sydneypass.info)

Suburbs closer to the CBD range from the trendy (like Melville JHB see Surrey Hills and Paddington think Parkhurst JHB or Norwood JHB) to the affordable with some grungier areas (like Brixton JHB or Westdene JHB think upcoming Redfern next to Surrey Hills - there is also a university campus so it caters to a range of people from yuppies to pennyless students).

If you prefer leafy suburbs like the Johannesburg northern suburbs, Wahroonga reminded me of Melrose JHB or Parktown North JHB. There are many large quality houses set in large gardens of about 1/4 acre and more with no high security walls or fences. Lots of Agapanthus and wild irises to remind you of Johannesburg. The private school in Wahroonga I walked past makes St Stithians look parochial. Judging by the number of Volvo SUVs and Audi Q7s picking up kids from school, there is no shortage of money. But then your sprog can walk to the train station (as many little girls do clutching expensive cell phones) and use the train unaccompanied. It just IS safe enough to do.

Anyone who says Australian houses are all ugly, just hasn't looked in the right places or simply can't afford the properly designed houses, myself included. Sure, the houses are built American style using timber framing and SA houses are more solid on the whole, but there is consistency and less arbitrary uncontrolled building, so less of an amateurish mish mash. Pavements are respected, bylaws enforced and maintained by council so walking is an option, even desirable as you feel safe and don't get harassed by hordes of unemployed desperados (Redfern is a bit iffy though; you will see the odd Aborigine and white bum combo looking drunk and lost; just loitering peacefully). Manly and Wahroonga were two suburbs that stood out for me. Manly was all about the showy house aimed at the sea view (like Umhlanga DBN) whereas Wahroonga was all about the tree lined street and gentle classy uppercrust suburban life (like Saxonwold JHB). I only saw the north shore suburbs as that's where we will be heading. Sorry we didn't have time to see St Ives where the "boat people" (South africans) live :whome:

For the regular folks, if you want Randburg or Edenvale, Hornsby was the closest thing IMO. The train deposits you at the start of a neat pedestrian boulevard which terminates in a large new shopping centre. Think Cresta or Eastgate shopping centres on three levels. This is car based suburbia with a multi level parkade. Around the shopping precinct, there is a large zone of neat three storey apartment blocks; all slightly different with parking basements, set in attractive leafy gardens and neat cement sidewalks leading to the shops. (Very American in design - think Frank Lloyd Wright architecture in Chicago for the middle classes.)The further away you go, the zoning changes to regular family suburban houses on good sized stands with large lawns - very nice. Horsby has a large Asian/Chinese population from what I could see (one property booklet was only in Chinese), it is neat, clean and peaceful. I saw one young hoon (not Asian) in his enormous black Lumina SS tearing up the tar as he screeched around corners and thundered into the distance with the sound of a big V8 (must have been a Saffer :ilikeit: ).BTW, You can still get 2 bedroom apartments here for as little as AU$400k I think.

All the suburbs mentioned were visited using the tube/train or ferry public transport system. Just buy a day pass for around AU$16 per adult (if memory serves) and you are also allowed to use the busses too.

Sydney is truly a world class city. Everything Johannesburg COULD have been.

Disclaimer:

If anyone is offended by my casual remarks, please don't start a rant because I'm simply not going to respond. I have tried to give a balanced view (MY VIEW) of what I saw on a short 5 night LSD trip but these are merely MY PERSONAL OPINIONS. I would love to hear other people's views on my opinions too (let's compare opinions), especially those who have lived in Sydney for a while. I have no doubt that many of my opinions are a bit off the mark as they are all essentially first impressions. But as they say, first impressions are lasting impressions...

André S

Andre

Thanks

We have also seen Sydney. I have been there twice. AND WE LOVE THE PLACE!!

Melbourne was a bit to european for me...??? Still liked it though

A

Melbourne was a bit to european for me...???

That's one of the (many) reasons I love Melbourne so much! ...Just goes to show: different strokes for different folks.

We should be grateful that people differ and choose differently otherwise we would all live in the same city, follow the same careers, all want the same...that's just plain boring.

AndreS, thank you for the lengthy post and valuable opinions! :ilikeit:

Andre S - what a reply!! T :ilikeit:

Thanks so much for an amazing description of Sydney! It wasnt really on the list cause have lived in London for 3 years and didnt want to do the big city thing again. You have however made me forget any preconceived notions and now it is back on the list.

South African friends living in the Uk are thinking of going to Melbourne as they like the arty scene and apparently Melbourne has that in abundance. Apparently very cosmpolitan. Would have been our first choice but too scared of the "4 weathers in one day" tagbite we keep hearing about. Having done the terrible weather thing in London and now being back in beautiful sunny Durbs we cant bear the thought of a rainy climate.

I think that a LSD trip is the only way. Andre S you are absolutely right - we are spoiled for choice!!

Now to start saving....

K

I am quite amazed at how popular Melbourne is????

Melbourne won the international award "Best City in the World to Live In" in 2002 and 2004... so it must have something!

Must say it's got me interested... I'm looking forward to visiting there on our LSD later this month.

What about the weather in Brisbane and Melbourne and Perth for that matter - they say Brisbane is ever worse than Durban, and Melbourne's weather is alot worse than Cape Town more like London - how can you have for season's in 1 day? Thx Melanie :D

If Brisbane is worse than Durban it must be fabulous cause we have the best weather ever! Of course I am a very biased Durbanite! :thumbdown:

I have heard that Brisbane is very humid but I think it is worth one or two months of discomfort for round the year sunshine. With regards to the "four seasons in one day" comment - I have read that it can be sunny when you leave the house and then pouring with rain later with much colder weather the same evening. So summer, winter, autumn and spring weather in one day.

Foncussed - please give us a full report on Melbourne once you have been cause seems like somewhere we need to check out!

Kim

What about the weather in Brisbane and Melbourne and Perth for that matter - they say Brisbane is ever worse than Durban, and Melbourne's weather is alot worse than Cape Town more like London - how can you have for season's in 1 day? Thx Melanie :ilikeit:

Sorry, I beg to differ. :whome: I lived in Cape Town, London and currently in Melbourne. It is not at all like London, much closer to Cape Town. If you don't like the weather too hot for too long and not to cold for too long, then Melbourne is the place to be. A heatwave will struck for 4-7 days and then it will be bearable again. Winter is a lot like Cape Town even though you can get better weather sometimes for weeks (that is the last 2 years).

All I can say is that Melbourne is a lovely city. I am not a city person. Lived in Strand and Namibian 'platteland' and love the small town feeling. Where I live (close to the city, 30 mins) it feels not as close to the city. Usually you just stay in your area and visit the city by train if you want to. You will find a big shopping centre close to where you live and don't need the city if you don't feel like it. The beach is 10 minutes drive and 'platteland' an hour/ hour and a half.

Good luck with your decision, not an easy one.

Yep, melbourne has a reputation of having 4 seasons in one day.

And yep, brissy is humid. No big deal though. If your from Durbs, it wont bother you. But if perhaps your a bit sensative to the humidity, rather go somewhere else.

So nobody in the outback or other remote town? I mean like in a pofadder or a prince albert, etc??

Like to hear about it?

A

Edited by No Worries Mate

As for Brissie, we've been here for 16months, decided on Bris because we like Tropical. A bit disappointed as it's not Tropical enough (no worries about the humidity) so might just decide to move further North one day, who knows.

We have settled well and are doing well in Brissie. Job wise I think lots of opportunity. Maybe not as much as in Sydney but then again it's not as expensive as Sydney either.

Edited to add: AndreS FANTASTIC post!!! Excellent use of the English language!! You could be a writer!!! If you are, I'll buy your books!!!

Edited by Nilo

Hi

I wrote this on another post, but feel it will also fit in well with this discussion.

Try looking at Cairns.

It is stunning here.

Cairns is bordered by the ocean and the Great Barrier Reef on one side, and has the mountains and Tropical rain Forest on the other side.

It is very hot and humid for a few months, but has perfect weather for the rest of the year.

There is an amazing amount of outdoor activities here, ranging from camping, scenic drives and walks, Sky rail, Bungee Jumping, The Great Barrier Reef with all the asscociated water sports and marine excursions, Horse Riding, Golf, Bowls, Ten Pin Bowling, plenty of uncrowded beaches, Go karts, Cable Water Ski ing, hot air balloon, helicopter rides, sky diving, and the most amazing picnic sites with free gas and BBQs. There are also many creeks, rivers and lakes that have great swimming areas and picnic places. The kids parks are all really nice, clean and well planned.

..... and of course, there are plenty of shops and tourist areas for sight seeing, to keep all the shoppers happy.

There is also a huge selection of places to eat out, and pavement cafes and restaurants.

Cairns is a failrly large town with a good shopping center, but there are many small residential areas set out of the city.

We live out up on a mountain slope, bordering onto the rain forest.

The life style here is very laid back and peaceful.

We spend a lot of time outdoors, and it is always clean, and peaceful, and SAFE.

We have had many BBQ's on the Esplanade on the beach front at night, and we have never worried about the kids riding their scooters along all the many cycle paths, or playing alone in the kids parks or Skate Parks.

It is just great !!!!!!