Advice- How much can you really do in your first week

NatalieB

Hi all,

Hope you can advice... I need to know how much you can really do within your first week... did you need a slow start into things or did you hit the ground running.... I am landing on Friday 2nd Oct...I had originally planned to attend an intense 5 day Cert 4 course on the Monday 5th Oct.. so that I can quickly get that done.. and after that I can add that into my CV and go job hunting the following week... this course has been mentioned as 'desirable' in most of the adverts that I see for my occupation... The course runs the following week too so Im not just restricted to this particular week...

My question is... with the jetlag and getting to know your bearings.. would I be putting too much pressure on myself by attending this course on my first week or is it totally do-able!!!

all advise will be helpful!!!!

Natalie...

• Like 1

Hi Natalie,

Totally normal thing to think and worry about, and goes hand in hand with the new chapter of the move!

We've moved overseas twice, and can definitely give advice/my own opinion - I know I, for one, will sleep better at night knowing all my admin is sorted, before I get stuck into anything else.

From what I've read, Aus is soooo efficient with that side of things, that it wouldn't take you very long to get the nitty gritty done (compared to SA!)

Our plan is to arrive, give ourselves a day to relax and settle, and then hit the ground running, get things sorted in a couple days. I know I would feel loads better when its done :)

Good luck!

NatalieB,

The jetlag knocks you and takes about an hour per day to regain your normal sleep cycle and circadian rhythms. I'd rather use the time to tackle admin as MrsSmith shared. It's very efficient here and you can get a lot done. I a week I moved into our rental, got my drivers, activated our bank accounts, loaded in all our belongings from the container, bought and built furniture and appliances we didn't bring, signed up for Medicare and Centrelink, enrolled our son in school and bought a car, oh and took some time out to hit Bondi Beach. Ha Ha. Maybe I was a little over enthusiastic, but I got that all done in 7-days.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

From what I've read, and how we experienced the admin we did on our activation trip, you can easily gets loads of that done in one week. If I had to plan this for myself I would do admin, where I can choose a later get-up time on an off day, or appear less-than-enthusiastic if I'm tired, in the first week, and then do the course when I'm better rested, more alert and in a more peppy mood.

Alternatively you can ask yourself what the benefits would be of doing the course in the first week versus the second week, if they are few, do it the second week, and rather be safe.

But that's just me, I prefer to takes things gradually. I don't know if you're secretly Super Woman. :D
  • Like 1

Thanks RedPanda.. :boxing::boxing: Super Woman :boxing::boxing: I like I like.. that should be my new name...loool... Thanks for the responses... You do make a valid point on getting the admin all done and out of the way upon arrival... and not live in limbo... but other than bank activation, drivers licences and centrelink... what other admin stuff is there to do?? I see these being done and completed within two days... I have accommodation for 2 months.. so I had decided that I will job hunt.. and once I get something (hopefully within these two months) I will start house hunting...looking at the location of where I work and not have to travel from one side of town to the other..@ Matt how did you decide on the location of where you live...

@MrsSmith the decisions and excitement and anticipation is all building up... I am probably going to arrive and need that first weekend to relax and get my bearings right.. I just hope that Melbourne welcomes me that weekend with lovely weather!!! :blush-anim-cl::blush-anim-cl:

• Like 1

What else

Mobile phone contract

medicare

private medical insurance

Car hire/purchase maybe

you need to get this in the right order as you will need some of it to get the 100 point identification test. I can't remember what the order is but a search of the forum should find it.

I'm definitely interested in the correct order, will be good to know, as I've read somewhere about the ID verification stuff ?

I'm definitely interested in the correct order, will be good to know, as I've read somewhere about the ID verification stuff ?

@NatalieB - I'm sure you have considered it but when will be the next Cert 4 course. While it will be tough on you, if the time gap is too big then do it asap to get it on your CV. That is also a ideal opportunity to meet like minded people for your new network. They may know someone who know someone else that may offer you a job :-)

The order is as follows:

Get an address!

You can't get any of the above if you don't have a local address so either find a rental or ask if you can use a friend, family member or even the short term rental details, bare in mind if you do that you'll be updating it all in the not too distant future when you find a more permanent residence.

The 100 point ID system is varied and you get different points for each piece of evidence provided, but typical the easiest and most convenient for new migrants is as follows.

Current Passport = 70 Points

Australian Driver License (Or Photo ID if you don't Drive) = 40 Points

Credit Card or Medicare Card = 25 Points

Total = 135 points

Weirdly you get above the points with just the first two, but many places want at least 3 items.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Matt

• Like 2

Matt,

Thanks for mentioning drivers - I wanted to ask how easy is it to obtain an Australian licence? I've read on NSW gov website that it can easily be exchanged for my SA one. But also read that some have to do a learners and drivers test to obtain this... do you know which is correct?

Edited by MrsSmith

MrsSmith,

No, no written tests, you literally walk in, fill in an application, decide how many years you want to pay, 1,3 or 5 years (it's cheaper per year the longer you go), have a quick eye test and photo and they print it then and there, took me about 30-40mins start to finis, walked out with my Aus drivers.

My wife had an issue when she went though, they wanted her to drive on her SA drivers for 6-months first before converting, so she has done that and in the meantime paid for a photo ID, which gives you the same points and is one of her main points of ID.

NatalieB,

Sorry, I glossed over your question about suburbs. We started looking North, but didn't want to have to commute an hour or two each day and started looking at inner city suburbs that were popular and offered close proximity to the CBD. We also connected with a local Church on-line and the pastor gave us great input about the suburbs, local schools and even which roads were zoned for the schools and which were nicer to live in for young families (parks, family areas etc) and we were able to build a profile about where we wanted to stay and weirdly landed a property before we arrived, off of Instagram of all places!

Hope that helps

Cheers

Matt

Edited by AFreshStart

With regards to drivers licenses, be sure to check the requirements for your state. In Victoria we could just book an appointment to get our RSA licenses converted, no waiting period. On the day we made the appointment though the computer system was offline, so the lady couldn't do her normal checks, she almost had us write tests. RSA is on their second list of accepted licenses, where they don't recognise our drivers test, but they do recognise our road experience, so you have to prove that you have had your license for more than 5 years, then they convert it. Otherwise you have to do tests. (all our licenses show the First Issue Date, so it's not a problem to prove how long you've had yours)

• Like 1

Thanks so much Matt & RedPanda.

Ooooo I hope its the same for NSW, as I can't even imagine after 12 years of driving, having to redo a learners & a test haha.

Would it be different for a 457 visa though, being a "non-resident"? We will be applying for 186 once we are there.

Thanks

Stace

MrsSmith,

Yes, as RedPanda shared you need a minimum of 5-years of driving under your belt to avoid the tests, I forget this because I have 17 years of driving experience, which shown as RedPanda pointed out on your SA Drivers as "Date of First Issue". I did mine at the Bondi Junction RMS, no booking, just walked in and did it.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Matt,

That's excellent, SO RELIEVED about that :ilikeit:

Will definitely go to the Bondi Junction RMS, we'll be based there for our first month on arrival.

Thanks Matt.. Definitely a lot of investigating went into it.,..

@ottg the course will be running the follow week with other institutions... so I will book into that one... and for my first Aussie luck... just checked online.. and there is a sale on with another institution.. going to save a whole $300... so Im definitely taking this one...

• Like 2

I know... and Im going to need this moola... I heard that Australian wine is expensive!!!

Oh heavens I surely hope not, I will have a very special budget just for that....my needs are worse....love good wine, but love bubbles more HAHA

The wine is expensive in comparison to RSA prices. We looked. :cry: We in RSA are very spoilt in that department. My sister in law who lives near London has been saying this for quite some time.

I've forgotten how to attach an image here that is not a weblink. So the verbal summary:

Prices that we saw ranged between $8.99-$46.99 per bottle, with most being between $11-$22, on a shelf of red wines, in Jan 2014. Those on here who know more about wine could probably add more contextual information.

In RSA we love all the really sweet, rather cheap wines (St Anna, Four Cousins, Robertson [All in the 'Natural Sweet' variety]), so it's safe to say just about anyone who's lived in the Cape for a while will know more about wine than we do. ;)

Then there is the whole trial and error that we have to go through until you find the ones you like..I was in London a couple of years ago and went in to choose a bottle of wine... it obviously made sense not to choose the £3 as I assumed it would taste like vinegar.. so took something for £8... ahhh it was vile..so the wine lovers that are already there.. please do send through your recommendations..

• Like 1

On wines, there are great, affordable options. Nothing like cheap range you get in SA's, but still some lovely options. I worked for Wine-Of-The-Month Club years ago and hold a foundational certificate with the Cape Wine Academy, so know a little bit about wine.

This may shock some of you, but some of the best value wines come from ALDI, which is a large chain store that has great and regular offerings that are excellent value for money.

Our everyday drinking wine is a quaffable Sauv. Blanc from South Point Estate, more on the tropical side, think summer fruit and gooseberries with a crisp finish and it's only $4.99 a bottle. They also have regular great beer specials, a few weeks ago they offered Asian beers like ASAHI (Japanese Lager) & Tiger (Singaporean) and I bought some Fat Yak this week for cheaper than the usual suspects like BWS & Dan Murphy.

We also buy on-line through Cellarmasters and Naked Wines, which are clubs much like Wine-Of-The-Month and allows you to buy in bulk once you find a few you like, buying half or full case and would need to look at my notes to share some of our favourites.

Before you all think we're raging alcoholics we love entertaining and usual have people round for a meal 2-3 times a week.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Hahaha would never think that Matt. It all sounds positively wonderful, I'm excited to try out new wines, and will definitely take advice and look into Naked Wines etc.

The Sauv Blanc you mention sounds yummy. I have a glass every evening - a wine a day, keeps the doctor away :whome: I'm sure before long we will become old hats at finding good deals.

Hahaha...Matt! Yes, we also joke about that sometimes, because we always have different wines in the house, although we prefer ciders most of the time. But then we restock the wines when we bulk buy the ciders, and then it ends up being a whole boot full of booze! And I always have to repress the urge to tell the whole store that:"We only do this every 3-4 months! Honest!". Maybe they just think we're stocking up for a huge party?

But yes, sharing wine with friends, over dinner is the best! (I'll have to save this thread for later reference...)

I've heard that Australia produces some good wines. There are so many things I'm looking forward to discovering once we're there.