My 10 days in Sydney so far

Kimmykins

Heya everyone and especially to those back in SA that watch for these posts

I had a long haul flight JHB-HK-SYD......Yawn. Advise on this, Get a neck pillow. Take some panado with you.

Boarder Patrol in Sydney = very friendly make sure as you come off the plane you have filled in the Ebola form. You will need it regardless of Ebola not being in SA. The mere fact that we arrived from Africa was enough. Long que's but it moves quite quickly. No fruit and Nuts or biltong in bags allowed. Declare all meds you may have on you even in your booked in luggage. I got waved right through but I was prepared with scripts even for Adcodol (they didn't even check it but I believe it was cause I was prepared)

My cousin picked me up at the airport so I was pretty blessed. There are trains, busses and cabbies all very reliable.

First day after landing you are all starry eyed and bushy tailed. I got my bank account sorted and my travel card sorted. Also got a cheap old Samsung Gal S2 at a place called BigW, very cool cause it is loaded with Navigation for Australia and New Zealand, I have found this to be the holy grail of travel for me at the moment and it worked wonderfully. I was up at 8h30 Sim and phone and topup cost me $130

Second day - I was up at a normal time 7h30 and had everything else I needed to do planned.....crashed spectacularly at 12h00 though as a result of Jet Lag

Third day - sorted Centrelink and Medicare - actually went into Chatswood to do this,. Believe it can be done online but its nice to have that one on one contact.

Fourth day - Had to go down to the airport again to collect my excess baggage sent through UBag,..excellent service Ubag offer but please be aware that their is a surcharge of at least $120 for handling and freight which I was not aware of. That was when the unfamiliarity of Aus hit me. I bawled like a child. But the lady behind the counter was very helpful. It also didn't help that I had a cabby waiting.....$250....fook!!! Oh yes, and if you send a package though Ubag you have to go to customs first to clear it. The lovely lady at freight advised that anything less than 20kg just post (courier) no customs, no extra freight and handeling charges.....and NO CABBY. Started looking for work on Seek, amended my resume with my Aus contact details and address

Fifth Day - I could at least laugh at the previous days mistakes. Went out and watched my first Netball league match.

Sixth Day - My first bday in Aus....Had a lekker Saffa Braai

Seventh Day - Started looking some more for work, tried to apply for my TFN online. Could not come right with TFN. Got a couple of calls for my resume, of which one resulted in an interview. Yay!!!

Eight Day - Went to my first interview, got the job....double yay!!! Sat back and relaxed.

Ninth Day - Up since 4 stressing about schools for my littlies, child care costs and the effect of Sydney on my children (we come from Port Elizabeth so the culture and size shock is immense) Started my new job very tired and feeling low. Cried all the way to my first apartment viewing (staying with my cousin), rental was ok but not was I was after. Spoke to hubby on Skype, cried some more, decided Sydney will just be temp for at least 2 years till we build up on some Aus dollars. Decided on the Hills District....Now looking for rentals in that area. Any heads up or advice welcome.

Tenth Day - Feeling jipper again. Lets see what the rest of my time brings here.

Advise. Be ready for Sydney.,...its not cheap.

Oh yes....Miss my husband and children terribly as they are still in SA following later.

• Like 6

Kimmykins, welcome, great news about the job. Hope the settling in goes well, that you find that elusive rental and that hubby and the kids soon join you.

• Like 1

Thanks Mara,

To be honest we had actually hoped to settle in Sunbury after reading much of what you had to say, but looks like we will need to hang on a bit. Darn it.

Mmm, what a loss... would have been lovely to have you join us!

• Like 1

Job on the 8th day!? Wow, well done! :ilikeit:

• Like 2

Kimmykins, we have the opposite - my husband is in Sydney while our kids and I are still here in SA. He landed on the 4th of August, started work on the 6th with severe jet lag :-). It is tough when you land with Rand and have to live off Dollars but from what I read, it gets better as soon as you start earning those Dollars. My kids and I are joining my husband in 6 weeks' time and we are looking at the Carlingford area. My husband works in the CBD but he says their public transport systems are fantastic so he will be commuting in and out. He did say he is never eating out again. A steak, egg, chips and beer cost him $20, which in his SA brain converted it to R200 and a Hell-NO response :-)

Our kids are 9 years old, and 1 year old. My son is not happy about the move. I have been trying to sell him on anything and everything to make it easier, but right now, I think it will be better once he sees his dad again (Skype is just not the same). I feel for you though, I cannot imagine being away from my kids. And this separation from my husband hurts my heart every day but we will be there soon. Our son will start in Oz on the 6th of October, in time for their 4th Term, at the recommendation from the Principal at the school we are interested in.

And they do say to just give it two years. Two years to get over the culture shock and everything else. Then make decisions about your future.

• Like 2

Thanks Kimmykins, these kinds of posts are inspiring for the rest of us still waiting to make the Big Move.

• Like 1

@Jems Carlingford is a great area :). But the traffic can be horrific :(. Hopefully it will get better when they open up the norwest rail link and *finally* complete the new tunnel (ie the toal road).

Friends of mine there say those changes won't affect them much. But you can be hopefull that people to will use the new trains or jump straight onto the M2 and avoid driving through Carlingford.

• Like 1

Nice update thanks.

Just to correct the info on the Ebola form. I visited New Zealand recently and also had to complete the form upon return to Aus. So it seems all inbound passengers must fill it in, not just Africans.

• Like 1

Recently flew from Sydney to Joburg. There were 2 flights coming through the gate, ours and one from the states. They made the Americans complete an ebola form but waived us through. I laughed.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing.

I didn't know that you have to apply for a TFN yourself? I thought it's done when you get a position at a company.

Also thanks for the info on U-Bag. I will be using them soon based on my question asked on the forums.

I'm landing sole alone in Sydney in 4 weeks and I'm looking forward to it. Only positivity and focused.

Wishing you al the best for the future

:)

ORC, would be happy to help should you need. PM me and I will give you my number. Otherwise you can message me when you ready and if you need help. I had a successful application for my TFN online, I was just putting in the address where I am staying incorrectly that is why I was struggling.

K

Well done on a good start in Oz!! May the next couple of weeks fly by so your family can be reunited again :)

Woow Kimmykins... well done... your doing great and you have definitely gotten me excited and looking forward to my trip out...I land in Melbourne on the 2nd October.. but would love to find a job in Sydney at some point!! I am also heading out first and have my family follow up in December...or earlier if I strike gold and get a job offer within the first month :ilikeit:

• Like 1