Finance Salary Guide

CGP

I received this salary guide and think that it could be useful to anyone in finance/administration who is looking to make the move to Aus.

A couple of comments:

There has been little or no increase from 2013 to 2014. In fact, the most senior positions have actually declined up to 6%. That backs up what the recruitment agents have been telling me - the top guys are staying in the workforce longer due to the knock in their super/pension and they are staying in their current positions because they will take a pay cut if they move.

It also shows that the market for accountants (yes - even CA's) is terrible at the moment.

The salary differential between an entry level accountant and a financial manager / financial controller is not as big as you would get in SA. I think that this also makes the market a bit sticky because people are perhaps happy to sit in a comfortable role and not look to progress because the increase in responsibility and stress isn't adequately addressed by the increase in salary. (that's just my view and I might be wrong)

The salaries for roles up to about accountant / financial accountant roles x exchange rate look way higher than you get in SA (not sure whether the purchasing power is better though because Aus is very expensive).

The more senior position salaries x exchange rates are just about on par with in SA, so you would actually be worse off considering the cost of living.

I'm not in recruitment and am by no means an expert on salaries so take my comments with a pinch of salt. When I got here and was asked what salary I expected I had no idea and consequently am earning on the low bracket. Maybe this guide will help some of you do better.

Cheers

2014 Robert Half Salary Guide.pdf

Edited by CGP
  • Like 1