Subclass 190 (Migration agent) vs. Sublcass 457 (Job placement agent)

thedreamer

Hi all

I am fairly new to this Australian immigration thing and would appreciate some advice. I have done some homework and I am currently stuck with a dilemma.

How does I go about choosing between a migration agent who recommends a subclass 190 visa and a placement company who tries to find you employment and then arranges a subclass 457 visa.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

FIRSTLY:

I was recently reading about a scam company that promises you a job then takes you money and runs, NO company can promise you a job, it doesn't work like that be REAAAAALY careful, ask advice here before handing over $$$$$, same goes for agents.

Im not an agent this is my take on it, but should give you an idea of the diffs, im in auz on a 457 visa.

This is from a chat i was having with someone else and is a bit of an overview, others feel free to chime in:

PR VISA

Pro:

You arrive as a resident, get healthcare, unemployment benefits, MUCH cheaper schooling (Which is not in my costs as we don't have kids yet), lots of handouts from the government until you are up and running, if you not earning a great salary the government gives you lots of rebates, once you have it you can do an activation trip and then take some time to sell up and move over.

Cons:

Very expensive (Especially in Rands), takes a long time to get (some peeps have been waiting 5+ years).

Pro:

We didnt pay anything at all the sponsoring company paid the visa, agent, plane tickets, car rental when we arrived, temp accommodation till we found our own pace, i had a job when i arrived and was earning a salary.

The whole process took a few months and was reaaaaaly easy (Because we did almost nothing), you also don't start as a junior, they are hiring you as a senior and pay you as such, we also sold everything in RSA and started again this side, so there were no shipping costs, you also don't have to do skills assessments (Unless the company specifically asks), there is no education, job, or anything tests (In fact there is no chance I would have qualified for PR, so this was really our only option).

Cons:

Im not a resident, if i loose my job i have 90 days to find another sponsor or get out of Auz, no benefits, rebates, medicare, nothing, im a here on a work permit, sending kids to pre/school when you not a resident is crazy expensive, you are basically being employed by a company, if you get the visa you need to get your ass on a plane and get to your new job, they generally wont give you lots of time to settle up in RSA.

After 2 years (We are in the process now) there is an easy conversion of the 457 to PR, again no education/skills checks and a straight forwards process, however the company needs to be prepared & able to sponsor, Some don't or are not able in which case your only option is to find another sponsor or do the whole PR thing from scratch.

Next bit is that not all companies are able to sponsor, they have to jump through giant flaming hoops to be able to, further they have to prove that they tried and were unable to source skills locally, so again if you have a rare or in huge demand skill-set you sorted otherwise it is really hard to find a 457 sponsor.

Getting PR as soon as you are able is a must, you are not safe from being sent back to South Africa until you have it, iv been here 2 years now and am 90 days from being on a plane back to south Africa because i don't have PR, even though we have a house full of stuff, a car, my wife has a job already, doesn't matter, something happens to my job and i cant find a new sponsor i am out, a couple of times i have seen peeps on some of the groups desperately trying to find a new sponsor before they get shipped back, but there are also lots like us that complete the 2 years and convert with no problems.

Also when you are earning in $$$ the $10k for the PR conversion from 457 is a lot cheaper as a cost of living thing, if you are fortunate like we are the company that is sponsoring is paying for it so it is actually costing us nothing. (Hopefully have PR in a couple of months).

So, 457 is a pretty large risk but fast, cheap and easy if you have a rare/high demand skill, PR is safe but takes long and is expensive.

Edited by Nev

Actually, if the company is legit, there is no reason why you can't do both, although why a 190, that is state sponsored isn't it? You can actually start a 190 or a 189 and in the meantime take up employment on a 457, the only major thing is that you have to be sure that the p.r. visa gets granted after the 457 as the last visa granted cancels any others.

Also on a 457 and if the sponsoring company is willing and you have a skills assessment done, they can sponsor your p.r. ENS 186 straight away through the direct entry stream, the waiting 2 years part is for those who go through the transitional stream, but if you qualify for a p.r. visa, there is no reason why you can't go ahead with it whilst working on a 457.

Also, bear in mind that a company offering a 457 also has the ability to sponsor you straight off on ENS186, whilst you are still sitting in South Africa, it is just that most companies like to use the 457 and have you work for a year or two, to see that you fit.............................and also because it is not unknown for people to "jump ship" as soon as they have p.r.

This is a very simplified view of various visas, obviously you need to do your homework, but feel free to ask any questions, both of your agent/s and here.

Hi

Under the new system the PR 190 state sponsored visa can take three months. it is the preliminary assessment of your skills that takes longer and doing the IELTS test. if you can get PR it offers you security.

Come over on PR. Especially if you have children. I've seen what companies do to people on 457s - they know they have you by the short and curlies and they will get their pound of flesh and then some.

Hi everyone

Wow. I really appreciate the input and advice from everyone. It is going to assist me in making my decision.

@Nev: Pro's and Con's do always help in making the best decision, thanks for all the detail regarding the 2 options.

@AndreaL: Great info, thanks. It has opened my mind open to the option of beginning the 190 process while in the meantime trying to source a reliable and trustworthy job placement company to assist me with coming over on a 457.

@Izzy and Donovan83: Thanks for your input. I do find solace in the 190/ PR option, due to all the benefits associated with it. I also have family staying in my state nominated region so will be able to take my time finding a suitable position.

Again, a big thanks to everyone for taking the time to post a reply. I am really interested in getting in contact with a reputable job placement company who has proven success/testimonials I may refer to. I have no children and I am in a rare/ skilled scientific trade so I might be able to secure a job which will speed up the process and reduce costs on my side. Could anyone recommend/ advise a reputable job placement company? It would be greatly appreciated.

Really excited to get the process going but want to make sure I choose the best option due to the financial costs involved.

Thanks again!

Hi the dreamer

I'm not really aware of companies that do such, as it is generally the company themselves that are a registered sponsor with DIBP. I have known of a migration agency who "advertised" positions, in reality they had a deal with the companies that they would advertise the positions and if suitable candidate came up, they then introduced the potential employee to the employer and if a deal was struck, the company then used them as the agents to do the 457, this was for trade positions though and many years ago.

You will have to be very smart with companies that promise to find you work, many people have paid money only to be directed to SEEK or some such website.

What is your trade.......who knows, just getting it out there might just get you some leads to follow up.

In any event, I would advise starting to get your documentation together for your skills assessment and doing your language test etc. and planning to start your p.r. application.

One question, if you have an unusual skill, why bother going for the 190, why not go straight for the 189?

All the peeps that i know that were sponsored on a 457 found the recruitment agent or company though linked-in, companies generally dont advertise on seek as they get thousands of applications from people who are taking a chance but don't come close to the requirement,

Get your linked in profile properly filled in and shiny BEFORE you start looking as if you respond to something the first thing they will check is your profile, if it is not great you will just not hear from them.

Then start searching, look at job listings, first search for companies that would employ your type of skills and look if they have a jobs section, email and ask if they are willing to sponsor, once you have been through that list ONLY THEN try find recruiters that specialize in your field - the reason for this is that the recruiter will send your CV out to all the companies then they will be forced to pay commission to employ you and may be less willing, so try direct first

Also for specialized fields you have to find the right recruiter, general recruiters will be rubbish at finding spots for you, the guys who handle your field will know who is looking, who can sponsor and have contacts

Edited by Nev

Just as both of the following are cropping up quite a bit (often together) with people coming to me at the moment.

If you are coming on a SC457 check your sponsors policy for sponsoring permanent residence, several companies have a policy not to continue to PR (be it money related or unions).

Plus as several point out check the business offering the service and what you are actually paying for. I had a couple who had paid a lot of money for 3 interviews with sponsors that were not eligible to sponsor them. But also know of people for whom this type of deal has worked well.

As Andrea points out there is nothing to stop you looking at the 457 (you have a job to come to and a bit of speed) and a 190 (security for the long term). This option can work very well.

However, if you come on a 457 with the intention of applying for state sponsorship then remember that you need to be coming to a state that sponsors your occupation (and will hopefully continue to do so until you get sponsored by them).

If you are looking long term and coming on a temporary visa please check your pathway - and remember rules change, including the occupations the states sponsor.

Edited by TeeTMI