Braais, Bbq's and Barbies

Abha93

Agreed Andrea. Speaking of braais, what's the best way to clean a barbie? :P

Burn off the remnants of the last one, steel brush, then clean it with an onion whilst it's hot. Ready for the next round!

• Like 2

Easy Off Bang oven cleaner. Spray on, leave for 30 minutes and rinse off. Sorry Hansa, becoming like a true Aussie. Far too lazy to do all the work you just suggested. Guess I am fitting in better than I thought.

This is all done while I sit with a beer in hand watching and cheering the wife on. Also making sure she removes the grill and plate from the barbie before starting.

• Like 1

I've been told that cleaning the grid with oven cleaner or even dishwashing liquid isn't the best thing to do, because the flavour and oil that's impregnated it gives extra flavour to the meat, and is highly prized by seasoned meatmasters.

• Like 1

I misunderstood, I thought he meant how do you clean the actual grid. The barbie itself is another story....

You don't clean a barbie, you just buy a new one every 4 years. Lekker in Aus.

• Like 1

You understood right Hansa. My only focus is the grid. I've also noticed that you just push the barbie onto the sidewalk for collection when it gets too dirty :D

I don't think I'll ever be able to toss a perfectly good barbie out no matter how dirty it is. Better things to spend my dosh on.

• Like 3

Agreed Andrea. Speaking of braais, what's the best way to clean a barbie? :P

I'm not sure, being a boy and all (with only two other brothers), I'll ask my niece... :P

I don't think I'll ever be able to toss a perfectly good barbie out no matter how dirty it is. Better things to spend my dosh on.

I didn't say they were perfectly good. My barbies are knackered after four years with the amount that I used them :)

Agree, mine is nearly ready for the tossing stage..................I could clean it, but I've got my eye on a new toy......................actually there was a thread on Aussikaners ( O.K. I go there sometimes when I feel the need to rumble..... :blush: ...actually there are some nice folks there too). Apparently you can clean the stainless steel parts (exterior) with WD40.

For the inside, most people just burn the crap off the grill and use a steel brush. I also use those Selleys tough wipes on the flat plate of my barbie ( that is the vegetarian and seafood side......lol)

I'll give the onion a try Hansa............

..............................and so the conversation meanders off in another direction.

I use my waterblaster. I use it to deep clean the shower as well, about once every 2 months.

Edited by 17yearsoutofrsa

Just to clarify. - The onion bit is for the grid itself, whilst it's hot, just before you're ready to cook. Cut it in half and with a long fork or pair of tongs rub the onion up and down along the bars of the grid. Do it with pressure, pretty hard so that the onion sizzles and you see grooves starting to develop in the onion. This helps to season the grid nicely, get rid of rust, gunk, etc.

Chuck the onion, don't eat it. :)

Edited by HansaPlease

Burn off the remnants of the last one, steel brush, then clean it with an onion whilst it's hot. Ready for the next round!

Hey, I haven't tried the onion thing yet! Tonight...

Just to clarify. - The onion bit is for the grid itself, whilst it's hot, just before you're ready to cook. Cut it in half and with a long fork or pair of tongs rub the onion up and down along the bars of the grid. Do it with pressure, pretty hard so that the onion sizzles and you see grooves starting to develop in the onion. This helps to season the grid nicely, get rid of rust, gunk, etc.

Chuck the onion, don't eat it. :)

Dunno....when that sizzling sound and the smell of roasting onion hits......who knows??? :whome:

Is nobody braaing with wood or coals anymore?....lol is it just gas now or what?

If somebody read from the end of this thread they would think that you should be careful be very careful when you BBQ and use an onion before you BBQ....lol

Edited by Killerjoe

I was thinking the same thing. It's quite a drift from emotional investment in a visa to investing in onions...

Personally I try not to get rid of too much inside the braais as there is a lot of flavour locked in those oils and ashes. Get rid of the bulk of the ash but don't put too much effort into cleaning it much. The same thing with a poitjie pot, rinse, wipe away solids, oil it up and stat afresh.

The onion is definitely the way to go though, do it while the fire's hot but beware the fingers, use a long fork or tongs as Hansa said. When that scent goes into the air and you have an ice cold one in hand that's about as close as we can get to heaven here on earth. :D

• Like 1

At least with a gas bbq you can braai all year round and it is quick and easy when you come home from work, with no mess or smell, no smoke for the neighbours to complain about.

We also use charcoal, but at this time of year and with us having had no rain ( and the devastating fires in NSW) there are fire bans in most places, so gas it is.

That's going to take some getting used to... :closedeyes:

Nah....just think of it like a big skottel when you have been camping etc. I love it, it keeps the mess out of the kitchen. I've got a great set up with a fridge (beers a chillin') on the patio and TV. Great for lazy breakfasts etc.

We insist on doing our turkey in the Weber at Xmas though.

• Like 1

lol... what a drift...

we do the onion thing on the grid as well... works really well. Will have to try the beer with it next ;)

Andrea... nomnomnom on turkey in the weber. Think we need to do something like that this year.

Is nobody braaing with wood or coals anymore?....lol is it just gas now or what?

I braai with both. Depends in what I feel like and how much time I have. The onion thing applies to both the gas BBQ and the braai. :)

Mods, I wonder if we should split this thread? Or I'm going to start a braai appreciation thread :)

For me everyday is a matter of WTHFDWD (definition available on request, but PG is advised)...

But each night I put my head down on that cushion... I know I will still be there slogging it on...

Less uncertainty, more stable limbo ;)

Edited by GideonVD

I braai with both. Depends in what I feel like and how much time I have. The onion thing applies to both the gas BBQ and the braai. :)

Mods, I wonder if we should split this thread? Or I'm going to start a braai appreciation thread :)

O.K. I have split the thread. If you don't like the name just let me know and I'll change it................................now you actually have to contribute to the thread.............maybe a few hints and tips for gas bbq's and some advice on charcoal/wood for our kettle braai's................................go mad :)

• Like 1

BEST answer I've read. I have watched many-a-man do the same (minus the onion) ;)

Edited by shannonc4

BEST answer I've read. I have watched many-a-man do the same ;)

Hey, hey, this forum is gender equal ;) I do most of the bbqing in this house, I even have a set of pink bbq tools ( the kids bought them for mothers day..................my wire brush is styling :)

Hey, hey, this forum is gender equal ;) I do most of the bbqing in this house, I even have a set of pink bbq tools ( the kids bought them for mothers day..................my wire brush is styling :)

P-P-P-Pink...? :blink:

Hmmm....maybe that'll encourage my other half to use ours. Where did they get those again?!