Junior Mechanical Engineer: Seeking Employment

GMyers

Hi guys,

I have just joined SAAustralia Forums today and so far have found it quite humbling!

I little bit about myself, I graduated with a B.Sc (Honours) in Mechanical Engineering, from UCT in 2011. Since graduation, I have been interested in Australia and have subsequently attended the "Working In" Expo's held in South Africa.

I decided that my best bet is to obtain the working rights for Aus, as opposed to looking for sponsorship (due to my lack of experience). Therefore, I applied and received a 476 Visa (18 month, last entry October 2013).

It terms of my career path, because I'm young, I am opened minded as to which avenue to enter. Even if it means working part time/internships for a couple of months before landing the engineering job. However, my current job entails mobile HVAC project work for rail.

Would someone be able to shed some light as to what procedures I could put in place to successfully find work in Aus?

Would my experience post a problem as most jobs refer to Senior/Lead/Principal positions?

Your help will be greatly appreciated :)

Regards

Grant

Hey Grant, firstly welcome to the forum and good luck with your journey. The best way to look for work in Australia is to actually be here and if you have the visa in hand then you should consider coming over if it's at all possible. Recruiters and companies like to see prospective candidates in person. Even though you may have the visa they will be hesitant to offer you positions before you arrive because they have no guarantee that you are actually going to arrive. You would be shocked if you knew what the no show percentage on the first day of work is.

Being in the engineering field you could also attend one of those conferences that they hold every so often in South Africa but I am not sure how often they are run. Here is a link to the next one in Johannesburg.

http://www.workingin-events.com/events/opportunities-overseas-expo-johannesburg-september-2013/#.UbSV0UrAGfM

Grant,

Just get here. I assume you are single ....

If that is the case just apply for any job. Cleaner - burger flipper - whatever - while continuing the search for an engineering job.

If you are freshly graduated, unless you were the sort of student whose Dad would buy him Lancia's (I show my age) - you can live on a burger-flippers pay - not well, but you can.