Emoticons for iPhone and iPad

Sunnyskies

Question

Credit for the answer to this question goes to my 9 year old daughter, who thought I was just daft not knowing the ??obvious answer.

Also, for us who are too old to know better, they are emojis (pronounced emo-s).

Step by step guide:

1. Go to your App Store and search for emoticons - choose your desired app and download.

2. Go to settings, general, keyboard and elect to add a keyboard - add the keyboard call emoji

3. Type message as usual - when you want to add an emoji click the ? button on the bottom left side of the keyboard, choose you emoji and then click ? to get back to normal keypad.

Ok, so you no longer use the standard emojis of the forum, but variety will help find the right emoji.

Ps - I think this works as I can see the emoji from my post in "quoting" on my iPad when it was typed on my iPhone. Next question will be wether the emojis come up in emails.

20 answers to this question

Going to try this right now! You're a star! Or.... Your daughter's a star.

:)

It works! Yay!?

Edited by BellaR

Guess it doesnt. You might be seeing emoticons on your iPad screen because you have a specific app installed, but the rest of us are seeing empty squares.

In order for the forum emoticon software to work you need Java. Apple refuses to allow java on their devices. Hence no emoticons.

Bleh!

Guess it doesnt. You might be seeing emoticons on your iPad screen because you have a specific app installed, but the rest of us are seeing empty squares. In order for the forum emoticon software to work you need Java. Apple refuses to allow java on their devices. Hence no emoticons.

That's why I use the Google Chrome browser for iOS, it works 100% with almost any site ;):P

PS: It also helps learning the BB Code for the smileys :)

Edited by GideonVD

That's why I use the Google Chrome browser for iOS, it works 100% with almost any site ;):P

PS: It also helps learning the BB Code for the smileys :)

Could u send me the link please?

Trust Google to make something work in Apple. Oh the irony! :magic:

I am posting this using Chrome and I don't see the emoticon options. Gideon, do you see them? Or do I need special version of Chrome?

Testing from Chrome...

?

Edited by BellaR

Is my emoticon visible to u guys?

Nope not to me. I am using Chrome on a PC

Is my emoticon visible to u guys?

If it is a fly....yes, I use Firefox and am om my laptop, but it is a little black and white fly, no colour, on my ipad it is a lovely yellow fly, or is it a bee? And guess what, on the laptop the fly is pointing upward, on the ipad it is pointing to the corner of your avatar, so they come out differently according to what you view them on

Bella your fly is visible on the iPad and iPhone on either Safari or Chrome but not on the PC using Chrome. But based on horrible comments by Mara and AndreaL about Apple users on your "Quoting" thread, I may just continue to use them on my iPad and iPhone where only other Apple users can see them. :boxing: Takes way too long to learn BB Code for the less common emojis :);):( :0 <3 (that is about my repertoire).

And a lovely repertoire it is too Sunnyskies.......see, I'm not horrible all of the time ;)

I do have an ipad and use it, but am not willing to sell my soul to Apple and go the whole hog " as she hugs and strokes her beloved galaxy s3".......... :P

• Like 2

hugs and strokes her beloved galaxy S3

What would you do without it? My Blackberries were an extension of my arm, my S3 is an extension of my life (Sad, I know, but true!)

See ladies....the evidence is.... in Android rocks, iphone.....not.....

My android makes me coffee now too!

Ah well, my iPhone just wakes me up, tells me where I need to be and how to get there, lets me get the money I need to get where I'm going, allows me to shop until I am broke, let's me chat with my family overseas on skype (and actually on my prepaid plan which works a real treat), paints my toenails, cuts my hair and does my make-up - what more could a girl ask for.

For those of you who don't get it, I'm just joking about the toenails, hair and make-up.

I'm actually in a quandry as I really like my iPhone 4, but I want to upgrade but am not convinced about the 5, as the battery life sucks and generally people I know haven't been that impressed in comparison to the 4. Question for the Android users:

- does iTune work the same on an Android?

- how do you back-up the phone, on iTunes or elsewhere (if so whereso)?

- do I have to repurchase my apps, or will the Android sync with iTunes/my sim (or whatever) and give me the same apps again.

If I have to reload my life I'll probably just get a 5 and three chargors. The emoji issue is really not an issue for me. As you can tell I like to write complete sentences, can't tweet and am useless with talking txt msg. So AndreaL and others, how do I reconcile my iPhone/iPad lifestyle with an Android (my husband won't help as he says I'm mad to even think about moving - he had an HTC and thought it a completely useless piece of junk)?