Any other pilots out there who want to or have immigrated to Australia?

Cath

Hey all,

My husband is a pilot, flying for an airline and we would desperately love to move to Oz. it is just a minefield of paperwork and exams and a truck load of money to have his license converted to an Australian ATPL .... and this is just get to the point of filling in the expression of interest form. Is there anybody out there who is also in this process or who has done it?

Then I have so many questions!

We would love to get the 190 visa, but "aeroplane pilot" isn't on the SOL for general Australia, but is on the Western Australia skilled migration occupation list. I read that one of the requirements for the 190 visa is that you need to nominate a career that is on the SOL, but surely there must be a way to apply even if his career is only on the Western Australia SMOL?

Also, what happens if we go to all the expense of converting his pilots license, doing the IELTS (which will take many months) but then suddenly aeroplane pilot is taken off the list? ... Or if we actually get the the point of applying for the visa and then it gets taken off once we've applied?

Unless he gets a job offer from an airline who is willing to sponsor him (and its been said that the chance of that is practically zero), the fact that his career is on the W. Aus SMOL is our only chance right now.

Its all very daunting and exciting and crazy, but we want this so badly. Having some advice form somebody who is in the same boat would just be incredible.

Thanks so much!

Edited by Cath

You can apply for WA State Sponsorship without a job offer, the State is sponsoring you. You cannot apply for a 189 visa if the occupation in not on the schedule 1 list. Get cracking with your paperwork :ilikeit:

Thanks very much bbop!

Now just the ever so tiny herdle of all the paperwork and exams my poor husband has to get through again to get his Aussie license before we can even complete the EOI! Nipping that they don't change the Western Aus SMOL and remove pilots before we can get anywhere :-)

I did find out that once your application is in and they then remove the occupation from the list, your application will still be processed, but might just take long then.

I'm learning :-)

• Like 1

Hey all,

My husband is a pilot, flying for an airline and we would desperately love to move to Oz. it is just a minefield of paperwork and exams and a truck load of money to have his license converted to an Australian ATPL .... and this is just get to the point of filling in the expression of interest form. Is there anybody out there who is also in this process or who has done it?

Then I have so many questions!

We would love to get the 190 visa, but "aeroplane pilot" isn't on the SOL for general Australia, but is on the Western Australia skilled migration occupation list. I read that one of the requirements for the 190 visa is that you need to nominate a career that is on the SOL, but surely there must be a way to apply even if his career is only on the Western Australia SMOL?

Also, what happens if we go to all the expense of converting his pilots license, doing the IELTS (which will take many months) but then suddenly aeroplane pilot is taken off the list? ... Or if we actually get the the point of applying for the visa and then it gets taken off once we've applied?

Unless he gets a job offer from an airline who is willing to sponsor him (and its been said that the chance of that is practically zero), the fact that his career is on the W. Aus SMOL is our only chance right now.

Its all very daunting and exciting and crazy, but we want this so badly. Having some advice form somebody who is in the same boat would just be incredible.

Thanks so much!

Hi Cath,

I'm a recently retired australian airline pilot Perth based, unfortunately I know nothing about VISAS but may be able to help work wise.

I have managed to help a number of south african pilots with jobs both GA and Airline the latest in Sept 12, through inside contacts mainly management / chief pilot etc.

If you could send me a brief description of your husbands experience hours/ types/ratings etc I could point you in the right direction.

Be aware that all airlines have a rigid seniority system so walking straght into a command will not be a given, also all airlines will require a face to face interview

Regards,

Pete

Edited by peterm
  • Like 2

Thanks so much Pete, that's incredibly generous of you!

He is at present flying the A319 command (but he is totally aware of the seniority system and not expecting to glide into a command position). He has around 620 command hours on the A319 then before that he flew A340-300 as first officer and has around 3,880 hours on that; has around 500 hours on the B737-200.

He has also flown the B1900 and has 2,200 hours on that. He has 11,200 total hours of which 9,200 are turbine and 5,000 jet time.

He started off flying charters for almost 5 years on various planes like C210’s, C402's then the C208 and C406 twin van. The rest is all airline flying where he's been working since 2003, so he's been at the same airline almost 10 years now.

Thanks again for the help!

Kind regards,

Cath

Thanks so much Pete, that's incredibly generous of you!

He is at present flying the A319 command (but he is totally aware of the seniority system and not expecting to glide into a command position). He has around 620 command hours on the A319 then before that he flew A340-300 as first officer and has around 3,880 hours on that; has around 500 hours on the B737-200.

He has also flown the B1900 and has 2,200 hours on that. He has 11,200 total hours of which 9,200 are turbine and 5,000 jet time.

He started off flying charters for almost 5 years on various planes like C210’s, C402's then the C208 and C406 twin van. The rest is all airline flying where he's been working since 2003, so he's been at the same airline almost 10 years now.

Thanks again for the help!

Kind regards,

Cath

Hi Cath,

Well he certainly has the hours and the experience behind him now, so I guess the question now is which way to go, i'm tempted to go for Skywest a company I worked for 25 years they have a fleet of about 12>< F50 and 12>< F100 PLUS 1><A320 RPT and FIFO.

They are now part of Virgin Blue, I believe that their award is still the same F50 F/O $75000 PA plus super (9%) 6 weeks holiday PA with 17.5 leave loading F100 Command first year $155000 PA plus super (9 %) 6 weeks holiday PA with 17.5% leave loading. Note the above figures are for year one with yearly increases year 9.

The next I would suggest is Network fully owned by QANTAS, they are bringing 10 ><F100 into the country all have low hours, high serial numbers, ex American Airlines and are being ferried to the Netherlands to REKKOF to ensure all AD's have been complied with and been painted. By the way the the Sept 12 guy I mentioned above has now been checked to line as an F50 F/O his wife (also a pilot) works for Network as their safety guru.

I will PM you my details for future questions.

I hope that I can be more use to you in the future and wil look foreward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Pete

Edited by peterm
  • Like 1

Hi Cath,

Not an expert but a Pilot and ATC fall within category B job which requires a BA degree or equivalent. Struggling to get a positive vetassess outcome due to no BA degree.

Regards

A

Hi there Flowman

Are you an ATC? Is Vetassess who you do your skills assessment through? As far as pilots go, CASA is the governing body there and no mention has been made of a BA degree, basically just a matter of writing a bunch of exams and doing a flight test. If you look on the SOL for Australa you will see who will do your skills assessment.

Best of luck!

Cath

Hi Cath

Yip I'm an ATC. I was trying the to obtain an state sponsorship (Visa190) and thus required a vetassess assessment. They had no issues with the ATC side of things but as an ATC in group B category they required an BA degree to provide points. It might be different if an employer is doing it for you? I'm hopeful that they will sponsor me going forward.

Regards and best of luck as well,

Regards

A

Oh no man! That seems very strange! Are you going to apply for your visa by yourself or through an agent? Just trying to think who might know a bit more about this. No mention of any BA degree has been made as far as pilots go, hoping they don't throw that one in later for good measure...

Crikey, I din't think any ATC around S. Africa would have a BA degree. Will shout if I can find out anything more about that.

All the best!

Cath

Hi Cath

Yip I'm an ATC. I was trying the to obtain an state sponsorship (Visa190) and thus required a vetassess assessment. They had no issues with the ATC side of things but as an ATC in group B category they required an BA degree to provide points. It might be different if an employer is doing it for you? I'm hopeful that they will sponsor me going forward.

Regards and best of luck as well,

Regards

A

Hi Flowman,

I don't know if I can help you, as a retired aussie pilot but, CASA does not control ATC that is the task of AIRSERVICES AUSTRALIA so they are two separate agencies and the federal government controls both of them.

Perhaps you would be better served by contacting airservices, to be honest I have never heard of a BA in ATC but in this day and age who knows, the ATC guys I know have now moved on into retirement.

I understand that airservices has a facility in Hobart for ATC training, perhaps that may be of help to you or be able to point you in the right direction. If I can help you In any way please please contact me

Regards,

Pete

Hi Cath and Pete

I did apply myself for state sponsorship but required a positive outcome on my vetassess. In the meantime

I'm working with Airservices and hopefully all goes well. I was quite disappointed when vetassess insisted on a BA degree and almost enrolled. Thanks for the offer for help and I will PM you if I need any clarity or help in the future.

Cath- it's worth it in the end.

A

• Like 1

Hi Cath,

Well he certainly has the hours and the experience behind him now, so I guess the question now is which way to go, i'm tempted to go for Skywest a company I worked for 25 years they have a fleet of about 12>< F50 and 12>< F100 PLUS 1><A320 RPT and FIFO.

They are now part of Virgin Blue, I believe that their award is still the same F50 F/O $75000 PA plus super (9%) 6 weeks holiday PA with 17.5 leave loading F100 Command first year $155000 PA plus super (9 %) 6 weeks holiday PA with 17.5% leave loading. Note the above figures are for year one with yearly increases year 9.

The next I would suggest is Network fully owned by QANTAS, they are bringing 10 ><F100 into the country all have low hours, high serial numbers, ex American Airlines and are being ferried to the Netherlands to REKKOF to ensure all AD's have been complied with and been painted. By the way the the Sept 12 guy I mentioned above has now been checked to line as an F50 F/O his wife (also a pilot) works for Network as their safety guru.

I hope that I can be more use to you in the future and wil look foreward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Pete

Peterm, I can't fly a plane to save my own life, but I just wanted to thank you for your generous offer and help to total strangers you've never met. People like you is what makes this forum great. True scholar and a gentleman.
  • Like 4

I agree with you benp,

Such generosity and selflessness is so rare these days and to come across it and experience it is so encouraging and uplifting. We really appreciate it Pete!

Cath

• Like 2

It is a lot of paperwork, but I would like to encourage you: doing it, every single piece of paper gets you a step closer to your dream. Start today! Bit by bit gets you there.

• 2 months later...

Hi Cath

I am also a Pilot planning to go to Perth if possible.

Have you been able to get more info on the assessment that needs to be done?

From what I can gather, I will have to go to Aus write the tests and do the flight test before requesting a skills assessment to submit an EOI?

I have a Commercial Helicopter and Commercial Aeroplane license and was wondering if I should convert both and what the costs are for this?

Any info you can help me with please!

Thank you

Roelof

Hi Cath,

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete

I have a Commercial Helicopter as well as a Commercial Aeroplane license here in RSA, Have you got contact with any Helicopter operators?

I would prefer to fly helicopters, do you know what the helicopter industry is like over there and what are the requirements for flying there.

Seems like I will have to convert my license in Aus by going there writing test and doing a flight test, so just want to get some background before I just into it.

Thank you.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Roelof

Hi Pete

I have a Commercial Helicopter as well as a Commercial Aeroplane license here in RSA, Have you got contact with any Helicopter operators?

I would prefer to fly helicopters, do you know what the helicopter industry is like over there and what are the requirements for flying there.

Seems like I will have to convert my license in Aus by going there writing test and doing a flight test, so just want to get some background before I just into it.

Thank you.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Roelof

Hi Roelof,

The main players are Bristow and CHC (Canada), Bristow have been operating on the north west shelf since the 1960's and are currently in partnership with Cobham (formally National Jet Systems that I worked for) on the Gorgon project with 3 dedicated RJ 100's for the FIFO side of stuff. This is a $250000 million contract through to 2016 or whenever the project finishes.

As far as I'm aware Bristow and CHC are the major players in the country, however there a number of minor operators all over the place. For instance Helimuster has something like 50 R22's cattle mustering up north and if I was you I would avoid them as survival rates in that industry are very low.

Cobham has another 14 Bae 146's all doing FIFO around the iron ore mines and charter work.

I don't think validating your licence here is any big deal as one of your countrymen that I helped did it in a week.

If you could send me a brief summary of your experience (ratings,endorsment types, hours, IFR etc) I could see if I could find something that may suit you.

Regards,

Pete

Edited by peterm

Hi Pete here is my avaition experience! You are awesome, thanks for the help

Aeroplane total 677hrs

Single Piston 517 hrs

Twin piston 10 hrs

Twin turbine 150hrs ( KingAir C90)

Instrument rating with 180 hrs Instrument flying

Helicopter Total 1600 hrs

Single Piston

R22 50hrs

R44 1400hrs

Single Turbine

R66 150hrs (awesome machine by the way!!!)

With night rating

All my licenses are current and Class 1 medical

Hope this is enough info

Hi Roelof,

The main players are Bristow and CHC (Canada), Bristow have been operating on the north west shelf since the 1960's and are currently in partnership with Cobham (formally National Jet Systems that I worked for) on the Gorgon project with 3 dedicated RJ 100's for the FIFO side of stuff. This is a $250000 million contract through to 2016 or whenever the project finishes.

As far as I'm aware Bristow and CHC are the major players in the country, however there a number of minor operators all over the place. For instance Helimuster has something like 50 R22's cattle mustering up north and if I was you I would avoid them as survival rates in that industry are very low.

Cobham has another 14 Bae 146's all doing FIFO around the iron ore mines and charter work.

I don't think validating your licence here is any big deal as one of your countrymen that I helped did it in a week.

If you could send me a brief summary of your experience (ratings,endorsment types, hours, IFR etc) I could see if I could find something that may suit you.

Regards,

Pete

Roelofjdutoit, on 03 May 2013 - 14:17, said:

Hi Pete here is my avaition experience! You are awesome, thanks for the help

Aeroplane total 677hrs

Single Piston 517 hrs

Twin piston 10 hrs

Twin turbine 150hrs ( KingAir C90)

Instrument rating with 180 hrs Instrument flying

Helicopter Total 1600 hrs

Single Piston

R22 50hrs

R44 1400hrs

Single Turbine

R66 150hrs (awesome machine by the way!!!)

With night rating

All my licenses are current and Class 1 medical

Hope this is enough info

Hi Roelof,

Regards,

Pete

Hi Roelof,

Well I guess you have a big decision to make which will not be easy, two things come to mind

1. If you decide to go with choppers you will be doing FIFO and will your wife be able to handle 2 weeks on and 1 week off.( I think.)

2. I think that you should contact Bristow and see if they will employ you on a CPL basis given that you have a healthy number of rotary wing hours.

Have you considered doing an ATPL(H) as this may enhance your chances as you appear to have close to the hours required?

3. I will endavour to contact an old friend Steve Pearson who use to be Chief Pilot of Bristow Australia, last I heard from him he was the safety consultant to them.

4. Barring that because your fixed wing hours are low it maybe worth looking at Skippers Aviation they operate a large fleet of Conquest, Metro,Kingair,Dash 100/300,Emb 120 and 1 Fokker 100. The advantage of this is that you would be based in Perth which I'm sure would help your wife settle more comfortably.

I have endeavoured to contact Stewy Rawlinson, a retired Bristow pilot to find out more information for you but he is currently overseas.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pete

Edited by peterm

Hi Roelof,

Well I guess you have a big decision to make which will not be easy, two things come to mind

1. If you decide to go with choppers you will be doing FIFO and will your wife be able to handle 2 weeks on and 1 week off think.

2. I think that you should contact Bristow and see if they will employ you on a CPL basis given that you have a healthy number of rotary wing hours.

Have you considered doing an ATPL(H) as this may enhance your chances as you appear to have close to the hours required?

3. I will endavour to contact an old friend Steve Pearson who use to be Chief Pilot of Bristow Australia, last I heard from him he was the safety consultant to them.

4. Barring that because your fixed wing hours are low it maybe worth looking at Skippers Aviation they operate a large fleet of Conquest, Metro,Kingair,Dash 100/300,Emb 120 and 1 Fokker 100. The advantage of this is that you would be based in Perth which I'm sure would help your wife settle more comfortably.

I have endeavoured to contact Stewy Rawlinson, a retired Bristow pilot to find out more information for you but he is currently overseas.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pete

What an awesome help you are!

Thank you so much.

I will definately contact Skippers.

I want to finish my ATP as well, but would want to do it once I am in Australia, do you know what the process is for the conversion of license, I know about the written test, and I already have the study material, but there is also some flight training and a tests involved, do you know how many hours is required for this, and I would imagine that I would have to hire an aeroplane and a helicopter for these test? Going to be expensive, might only convert one license at first and start working and then convert the other, so I am trying to establish which one is worth converting!

You are really a great help! Thank you so much!!

Roelof

What an awesome help you are!

Thank you so much.

I will definately contact Skippers.

I want to finish my ATP as well, but would want to do it once I am in Australia, do you know what the process is for the conversion of license, I know about the written test, and I already have the study material, but there is also some flight training and a tests involved, do you know how many hours is required for this, and I would imagine that I would have to hire an aeroplane and a helicopter for these test? Going to be expensive, might only convert one license at first and start working and then convert the other, so I am trying to establish which one is worth converting!

You are really a great help! Thank you so much!!

Roelof

Hi Roelof,

I would not expect more than 1or 2 hours with an FOI (Flight Operations Inspector)

however there are a few traps that I know you guys are unaware of.

1. DME arrivals which will take you safely down to circling altitude. I will attach a scan depicting these.

2. NDB 272 ndb's were shut down years ago however Locator Beacons remain at most airfield with an ILS. So you may be asked to do an NDB approach.

I think it would be more like a Prof / IFR check.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pete

post-13964-0-88191200-1367636045_thumb.j

Edited by peterm

Hi Roelof,

I would not expect more than 1or 2 hours with an FOI (Flight Operations Inspector)

however there are a few traps that I know you guys are unaware of.

1. DME arrivals which will take you safely down to circling altitude. I will attach a scan depicting these.

2. NDB 272 ndb's were shut down years ago however Locator Beacons remain at most airfield with an ILS. So you may be asked to do an NDB approach.

I think it would be more like a Prof / IFR check.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete

This is very intersting, I must be honest, I have never seen something like this. When would you use this? Is this for a straight in approach and turn unto runway heading once clear of cloud? There is no runway allocated and the approach sector is to the side, not lining up to any runway? It looks like it can make life much easier for a direct approach and then just circle and land on whichever runway is in use.

Thank you so much for your help so far!

Can you suggest a flying school or do you have info on the procedure for validating my license, what exams I will have to write and where I can get the study material, as well as an idea of how much the flying will cost?

Have a great day!!

• 9 months later...

Hi Cath,

I'm a recently retired australian airline pilot Perth based, unfortunately I know nothing about VISAS but may be able to help work wise.

I have managed to help a number of south african pilots with jobs both GA and Airline the latest in Sept 12, through inside contacts mainly management / chief pilot etc.

If you could send me a brief description of your husbands experience hours/ types/ratings etc I could point you in the right direction.

Be aware that all airlines have a rigid seniority system so walking straght into a command will not be a given, also all airlines will require a face to face interview

Regards,

Pete

HI Cath and pete,

I'm also a commercial pilot license holder, if u can help me out about paperwork and immigration thing and what are the chances of getting a pilot job as this stage?

Kind Regards,

Jenish