Murders

Willow

Two weeks ago, a co-worker was murdered. Last night three South Africans were murdered.

"The 41-year-old victim had emigrated from South Africa with his family about two years ago and his murdered father-in-law, 64, and mother-in-law, 65, were on holidays from South Africa" - The Advertiser.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/armed-siege-near-primary-school/story-e6frea6u-1226046660184.

I think this is it. At the time of the article, the police did not know why the victims neighbour went mental and shot them all. He has been arrested, so we will know soon. In Aus murder is very rarely a random act, unless there is mental health problems in the mix.

Australia has .015/1000 murders p.a. (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita). That means in any one year there are 330 murders p.a.

There are 120k people of RSA decent in Australia according to the 2006 report (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Australia). That would, more than likely, exclude RSA's who came on their British passports and, more than likely, would exclude RSA's in Australia on NZ passports.

I think 120k is low, especially since the official ratio in NZ is double that of Oz, mind you 2006 is a while ago, and there is a new survey to be done later this year. So officially RSA's account for 1/2% of Australia's population.

That means, statistically at least, that of the 330 murders each year 2 will be of South African decent.

As South Africans become more and more of the percentage of Australia's population, so they will be represented more and more in the national stats.

So 1/2% of all drownings in Australia will be South Africans ete. etc.

OMW thats hectic!! Hope they get to the bottom of why he shot them!!!

This has left me speechless. The horror! here is a poor woman, who goes through all the pain and drama of immigrating, to have virtually her whole family wiped out by a crazy person. How could this happen????? The Police have their man- but that gives me no satisfaction. A family has been destroyed. My prayers tonight are with this family.

This has left me speechless. The horror! here is a poor woman, who goes through all the pain and drama of immigrating, to have virtually her whole family wiped out by a crazy person. How could this happen????? The Police have their man- but that gives me no satisfaction. A family has been destroyed. My prayers tonight are with this family.

All day I have been thinking about this poor family and this terrible tragedy. As you say, moving here and then this! I guess all we can do is pray for comfort and peace for the family left behind.

This is terribly tragic :cry:

One of my worst fears whilst being here in RSA.. My heart goes out to this poor woman and her kids.. :(

This is just too tragic..... :cry: thoughts and prayers go out to

family and friends of the family. How senseless indeed!!

Edited for spelling

It's true that we will become more & more statistically represented in Australian deaths & crime if you look at those numbers, thanks, makes sense. But still, what a shocking event for the family, and unexpected! It prompted me to go & look up the Gold Coast shooting of a South African man in December. I found he has survived & is doing much better: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/03/22/301121_gold-coast-news.html

Maybe we just notice these news reports because we are South African, but they do seem to stand out. :(

So sad.

Spoke to the inlaws last night, this was all over the Sunday papers. Typical press to jump on this, a South African and his family get murdered in Adelaide and its big news, South Africans in South Africa get murdered every day and its relegated to a small block in the papers.

Big news because its rare here

It's SO sad! Imagine what they must have gone through and especially with the parents being there and not expecting anything like that to happen! I'm sure we'll find out why this happened soon. It could have been anyone living next to Mr crazy-guy....

a South African and his family get murdered in Adelaide and its big news, South Africans in South Africa get murdered every day and its relegated to a small block in the papers.

Big news because its rare here

True.

It is strange that this news was all over the Sunday Times, this was an tragedy.... There was not to much about the farmer in Ottosdal that was murdered over the weekend and body dragged behind his bakkie for 1.5 km.......but then again it is an every day happening in SA.

Whatd disgusting is that people are actually "getting lekker" that a family has been murdered...all because it was veraaiers..oops I meant immigrants...

This is shocking.

I happened to read one of the FRONT page articles today and the woman who's parents were murdered with her husband still says that Australia is safer than South Africa, and they moved here for a better life for their kids and she still loves the country and does not blame it for this tradgedy, she see's it for what it is, apparrently her husband warned her and she ran out with a 10 year old child (sounds like a friend of the kids) out the back door and the guy went from room to room, that's where he found her parents.

Still makes it no easier to accept but we all knew OZ was not totally crime free and they have the man in custody which is more than what would have happened here in SA.

My thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family.

T

Archived