Importing a Trailer/Vehicle

Pine and Riana Pienaar

Background:

I have read through lots of threads on trailers and vehicles on the forum, have done considerable reading on the links and government sites in OZ, did normal postings, had 1:1 interactions with some people who have gone through the mill (both on the forum and outside), spoke to people who import and move new trailers, spoke to manufacturers locan and in OZ, etc. From all this I compiled a set of the key info that we need if we want to move new or older trailers across.

I hope this saves someone else some effort. I would however like to invite all using the forum who have some info they can add or contribute to add in their 5c worth so we can have something that is fairly complete and can be used as a one stop by all.

Just for context:

• We have an old Venter (Pony) trailer as well as a 4x4/off-road trailer
  • In our case the off-road we inherited with provisa that we must pass it on to Riana's sister should we leave SA. They sadly came to collect it this Sunday - so gone are our camping days in SA
  • I ordered a new Conqueror Conquest trailer two weeks ago (don't ask the price unless you are sitting) and expect delivery in the next two weeks. I will be putting a tarp over it and mothballing it till they pack it in the container (we pray at the end of Jan)
  • We will be trasnferring the Pony to my father

Overview:

Seems the import of existing trailers is not really an issue - as long as it is clean and you have the parework, etc. As I could not get all the details on the import of a new trailer I focussed more on that but if you have an existing one the essence of what needs to be done is the same, it is just slightly simpler.

For a new one the key is that the taxing is different (higher) and the there is a step or two extra on this side. In my case I will be getting the papers from the manufacturer, will go brave the queues to register it and at the same time deregister it and get police clearance for the export - only real difference is that I will register and deregister at the same time while for existing you will just deregister. Rest of the process is really pretty much the same.

I did look at alternative of importing it directly from the manufacturer. This can be done but it must fly solo which in itself has the cost of a 20 foot container. I decided against it and decided to take a 40 foor instead and thus being able to take more of my home content (almost all that is worth something) as well instead.

Costing:

I did quite a bit of a search on alternatives to importing the new off-road trailer from here. Firstly there are very few real alternatives options that compares properly to what we have here. Most are of the flat almost mini caravan variety where you need to have a lot of packing space in your towing vehicle. Secondly what they have there is extremely expensive, especially given the exchange rate.

Everyone has to decide for them selves after they have looked at the full picture. I calculated that even with the import and tax duties and the cost of the additional 20 foot of conatiner (which is not really just for the trailer) it was still quite a bit cheaper for me to import the new trailer.

Links to some of the trailer alternatives:

OZ Govt Site Link:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/veh...cles/index.aspx

Imports.Vehicle@infrastructure.gov.au

Taxation Rate:

The taxation is explained more in detail in the attached documents. The essence of it is basically:

• 5% import duties (only new)
  • 10% GST on the valuation price of the trailer

The Process:

• Get export clearance certificate (deregistrasie sertifikaat) from your local government

• Get it deregistered at the licensing department - make sure your documents state that its for exporting purposes (uitvoer doeleindes).

• They will examine the trailer and give you the papers

• You have an original AS WELL AS copies of

• Utility bill,

• ID

• Registration papers

• After that you need to get a police clearance certificate (can be done at the same testing grounds)

• Only valid for 21 days

• Time it wit your move so that when your movers load your stuff that the clearance is still valid

• Registration in OZ

• Get the following documents,

•  Tax Invoice

•  Manufacturers Certificate (showing Gross Vehicle Mass, Tare Weight, Year etc, etc)

•  Any licensing documents from the Licensing office

•  Make sure that the info on the trailer and all the registration documents match up

• Apply for an import permit from Australia

• Sent in the application by email

• Paid the 50 dollars with our credit card

• You will received the permit in the post (about 17 working days).

• Removal company will need a copy of the import permit before they can send it.

• Moving it (sure this is not 100% complete)

• People had to deliver the trailer to the moving company’s premises,

• They then made a crate for it in the container in order to be able to pack above it etc.

• Once it had cleared customs and quarantine inspection in Australia we had to collect it from the removal company’s premises.

• To get it from the companies premises to home and get all the above done you need to get a permit from the Transport Department before you collect the trailer

• In Australia, you have to get a safety inspection done

• Then take it to the Transport Department to get measured up and registered

Attachments:

I attach several documents that you may need as well. These are all in their latest versions available on the site links at the top.

• Application to import vehicle
  • Verhicle import brosjure
  • Building trrailers - spects the trailers have to comply with

• Like 2

VERY helpful thanks!! :)

This is great! We left our venter behind as we ran short of time to do the paperwork. BIG MISTAKE!!

People, bring your trailers!

zorba

:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I always see questions around what the alternatives are in Australia for trailers. I came across this site that was a lint to almost all the manufacturers in Australia. You should be able to look at alternatives and costings frem there.

http://www.campertrailers.org/manufacturers.htm

Edited by Pine and Riana Pienaar

havent seen anything here that compares to venter (trailers) and Jurgens (caravans) in quality or price.

same goes with boats.

if you can bring them, Bring Them!

havent seen anything here that compares to venter (trailers) and Jurgens (caravans) in quality or price.

same goes with boats.

if you can bring them, Bring Them!

Will be looking for a boat over there - any suggestions?

Hi

Just a quick add it for those that are on a budget.

Make sure you budget for new tyres for the trailor when you arrive in Oz.

Brother in law brought his trailor over and even though he had put new tyres on before leaving SA, he had to replace the tyres with "Australian" approved tyres here before it could be licensed. Personally I think it just depends on the examiner at the time.

Mandy

Will be looking for a boat over there - any suggestions?

buy a boat in SA and ship it over.

unless you want to pay R120 000 for a pathetic tin can with a 40hp no name brand motor, instead of say, an xstaski or a panache with a nice big 220hp Mariner/Yamaha

www.boatpoint.com.au

look through there, you'll see what i mean.

you can get a decent malibu in SA, and pay freight/insurance/import taxes, and still be better off than buying a "tinny" here.

closest you'll get to some decent kind of bowrider will be around R140 000 ($23, 000 ish) for a 1980's model bottom of the range bayliner

Edited by calibrated

• 3 months later...

Sean put this in on another posting recently. A lot of it is already covered in my original posting and subsequent additions but I thought this a nice summary:

• OZ SIDE

1. Go to http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/veh...cles/index.aspx

2. Click on Application Forms and download the Word Doc (You can fill this one in)

3. READ this Guide: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/veh...df/VSB10_09.pdf

3. Fill in, print out, sign, scan and email to Imports.Vehicle@infrastructure.gov.au with certified * passport photographs.

I emailed photographs of my trailer, copy of purchase invoice and dimensions etc.

* NB!!!!!!!! They will not accept a Policeman / Headmaster or a number of other people to certify your passport photographs.

I ended up using my Church minister, and had to provide proof that he could certify the docs with his qualifications.

You can use a lawyer, but might cost more than the application. This was my only headache.

SA SIDE

1. Go to your local traffic license Dept and get them to give you a RPC form with second last block marked as Export.

2. Take the print out to the Police Clearance section (Mine was at the Road Worthy Dept) and request a Motor Vehicle Clearance

3. They will need to see the item, so give yourself time if it still needs to be cleaned.

4. Take your Police Clearance back to the traffic license dept and request an ARN form. You have to fill in another form before this with basic details.

5. If the vehicle is in your name, you might not need the original registration certificate or else take it anyway.

6. Give a copy of your Police Clearance to your movers and the ARN. SA Customs need them.

Make sure you also give the Australia permit to your movers.

Your vehicle has to comply with OZ regulations and your permit will tell you what you may have to do.

Make sure your trailer is very very clean - I steam cleaned mine, and no mud or dirt on it.

We packed all our clothes, linen, bedding, cousins and stuffed toys into the trailer.

• Like 1

I need to send a quad trailer with 3 quads on it, anyone keen to share a 20ft container ? I have already done all the paperwork.

• 3 months later...

I have removed the following documents:

- Vehicle_import_brosjure.pdf ( 228.49K ) Number of downloads: 6

- Building_Small_Trailers.pdf ( 404.62K ) Number of downloads: 6

- App_Import_Vehicle.pdf ( 59.47K ) Number of downloads: 7

If anyone is interested in these documents you are wellcome to PM me and we can make arrangements.

I have by the way now successfully imported my trailere and just need to finalise the registration this side. No hassles at all.

I see they are avilable directly in Australia

VENTER TRAILERS NOW ON SALE IN AUS

I wonder what their prices are like?

EDIT: Sorry I see that link was posted back in 2001 and at that time cost $2500

Edited by Jordy

• 1 month later...

I have at last registered my trailer. After I got it I parked it in the garage - just too darn cold in Canberra to go camping till spring.

I gathered all the info I could lay my hands on and spoke to everyone I could think off - including the people now distributing my trailer in OZ. In the process I confirmed most of my info and added one or two small things. Most of all though I started worrying unnecessarily.

The registration requirements for the different territories differ. I spoke to people in NSW and Perth and in the process could not quite get what to do and what not. I spoke to motor dealerships here in ACT and got conflicting info.

What uptimately helped was to phone Canberra Connect and ask them what now.

Quite simple:

• Go to the weighbridge and get your weigh bridge certificate (pink slip)
    • There are weigh bridges all over - they are close to the selling points for firewood
      Costs you $15-20
      They usually open very early.
      The one in Mitchel opposite the Toyota dealer at the dumps open at 7:30 and the process takes something like 10 min.
      Remember to empty out your trailer as you pay registration fees by weight
      The VIN number is the one on your import permit or existing plate

Then book an appointment at the Dickson test centre (132281)

• I booked the first slot for 8 and arrived 20 minutes early.
    Out of there in 15 minutes
    Cost $30

Had to do few fixes

• Need white reflectors on front (put one on each side with double sided tape
    Needed mudflaps to at least your axle level. Bought conveier belt at Clarks rubber made a galavanised steel bracket to position it and put them on. Bit of sweat and not too much cost. Not a requirement in all territories though.
    Needed to take the yellow reflector tape compulsory in SA off the back. Just stuck red tape over it

Took it back again for retesting (an early appointment). Cost me $13

Walked 20 metres to the Canberra connect shopfront, got my ticket and walked out 15 minutes later with my registration plate in hand (and a little poorer). Between $7-800.

What I did not need was: a new ACT registration plate, any changes to the safety chain (mine only had a cable linked to the braking system). Due to the kind of braking system they could not test my brakes (other than the handbreak).

All in all a pleasant expereince and had I not been stirring up ghosts I would have been much more relaxed.

• 2 weeks later...

Venter Trailers are available in Aus....We are the agents in Queensland.....

You can contact Nick at,

www.insulgrant.com.au

They are on the Gold Coast....will ship anywhere in Qld.

I will be there from 10 October 2009

Drop us a line.

Hilton

• 6 years later...

Pine, thank you for starting this threat, your wisdom helped me tremendously.

DanielK, just to let you know that Pine's last visit to the forum was in March 2014...

Thank you, Mara. I have noticed that. I hope that Pine still receive emails on his old posts and that he might add or change some of his findings/experiences :-)

Daniel, that would be unusual in Australia, we have so many internet service providers that we often switch to a better deal. If you were to send him a PM then, if he still has the same email address, he should get it.