The 100 step process to immigrating to Australia from South Africa

Jordy

Hi Vitchi,

I see your PCC went quick, did you do it directly? Did you get an sms for loading of forms and a sms for completion? 

What skill did you go under if i may ask?

Hi, yes did it directly and delivered myself. We got an SMS for my wife's PCC, but not for mine. I kept checking online on a daily basis.

Thank you all for the checklists and advice. As Newton said, "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" (discover truth by building on previous discoveries).

To me you are all giants.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Husky said:

Thank you all for the checklists and advice. As Newton said, "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" (discover truth by building on previous discoveries).

To me you are all giants.

Wow husky, thank you for your kind words. We are pleased that the forum is a helpful place. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just to update you, i just got notification of our PR 189 visa approval. Soooooo happy and relieved. All the hard work paid off. I can also say that using Migrate2Oz was a good decision. They are excellent! I hope everybody's applications come through soon. Sending kind wishes to all!

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Regarding skills assessment & IELTS, I have a few questions:

1. English is my second language but I did my tertiary education in English. Do I still need to do IELTS?

2. I have a National Diploma and a B.Tech degree in IT from a "technicon". Does the B.Tech count as a Bachelors?

3. Do I have my skills verified first (Australian Computer Society), and THEN do the IELTS?

4. How long are skills assessments valid for?

Any info will be highly appreciated.

Thanks you

1. Yes, you still need to do it. IELTS is to verify that you can adequately speak, read, write and comprehend English, regardless of the medium your degree was done in and regardless of whether English is your first or second language.

2. Can't answer this one.

3. I don't think the timing matters. Book the IELTS soon - there is often a long waiting list.

4. Two years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nyevfby said:

2. I have a National Diploma and a B.Tech degree in IT from a "technicon". Does the B.Tech count as a Bachelors?

I'm not sure, but the ACS will determine whether or not your B.Tech counts as a bachelor's.

Check their website for the criteria they use to determine your skill level - it's usually something like your qualification from SA plus X years working experience is enough to meet the minimum criteria.

They use your institution, qualification, subjects, and work experience combined to arrive at the decision.

For reference, my CTI diploma + 7 years working experience was considered to meet the minimum criteria as a software engineer. I've seen a few people say their SA Bsc + 2 years working experience was considered to meet the minimum, so I'd guess that your qualification would fall somewhere in between.

Hope that helps?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nyevfby said:

1. English is my second language but I did my tertiary education in English. Do I still need to do IELTS?

3. Do I have my skills verified first (Australian Computer Society), and THEN do the IELTS?

Hi there....

Yes - you HAVE to do an english test :) Your spouse may not have to if they can prove "competent" english - by means of a degree/secondary enducation onducted in english/uk passport....check the home affairs website for this. 

If possible for your occupation  I would recommend doing the Pearson Test of english - much quicker to book, get results for and the results are generally more appealing.....(For a lot of people..) My hubby did Ielts first and from Booking to result it was about 90 days:o..for Pearsons it was 5 days:ilikeit:

You can do these two in any order - it doesn't matter, as long as both of them are valid at the time you submit you EOI. 

I would suggest doing your skills assessment first - It is quite time consuming to get all the paperwork together and the actual assessing authority process took about two months for us, but maybe it wont be as long for you as you are under a different occupation. :D IE - submit your skills assessment and THEN while you are waiting do your english test.

Best of luck and feel free to DM for help :)

Edited by TamLovesRic
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

One more thing, if I'm the main applicant, does my wife also need to do IELTS to be allowed on my visa?

5 minutes ago, nyevfby said:

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

One more thing, if I'm the main applicant, does my wife also need to do IELTS to be allowed on my visa?

Nope - look at the reply from @TamLovesRic - she said "Your spouse may not have to if they can prove "competent" english - by means of a degree/secondary enducation onducted in english/uk passport....check the home affairs website for this". 

My husband was the main applicant and I just needed to provide a letter from my uni that my degree was in English and that was enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TamTam said:

My husband was the main applicant and I just needed to provide a letter from my uni that my degree was in English and that was enough.

@TamTam oooo interesting - I just uploaded my academic transcript, I wonder if this is enough -  - Where did you study? If at Wits, do you have details of the contact person who helped you with this? :) please. Although I also have a UK passport which they should accept anyway?....right?? Gosh...the uncertainty sometimes!! LOL 

10 minutes ago, TamLovesRic said:

I just uploaded my academic transcript, I wonder if this is enough -  - Where did you study? If at Wits, do you have details of the contact person who helped you with this? :) please. Although I also have a UK passport which they should accept anyway?....right?? Gosh...the uncertainty sometimes!! LOL 

I studied at Wits as well, in the APES department (no jokes please ;)), if I remember correctly, I just emailed a representative for the department and requested a letter.

The following comes from https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/lega/lega/form/immi-faqs/how-can-i-prove-i-have-competent-english so you are fine!

How can I prove I have competent English?

To prove that you have competent English you must provide evidence of one of the following:

You hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country.

• 3 months later...
On 3/12/2018 at 12:42 PM, iambrettstar said:

I'm not sure, but the ACS will determine whether or not your B.Tech counts as a bachelor's.

Check their website for the criteria they use to determine your skill level - it's usually something like your qualification from SA plus X years working experience is enough to meet the minimum criteria.

They use your institution, qualification, subjects, and work experience combined to arrive at the decision.

For reference, my CTI diploma + 7 years working experience was considered to meet the minimum criteria as a software engineer. I've seen a few people say their SA Bsc + 2 years working experience was considered to meet the minimum, so I'd guess that your qualification would fall somewhere in between.

Hope that helps?

Hi Brett, were you able to find out if your BTech with experience was equivalent to a Batchelors? 

On 7/5/2018 at 4:07 AM, Daleen said:

Hi Brett, were you able to find out if your BTech with experience was equivalent to a Batchelors? 

Hi @Daleen - I don't have a BTech, just a diploma from CTI and experience. It was enough for me to be considered qualified (I'm currently sitting in Melbourne with a glass of wine in hand).

You need to do the skills assessment with ACS to see where you end up - like I said previously, they essentially take your qualifications and working experience and arrive at a date where you're considered skilled - in my case, my diploma + 7 years of working experience was what it took. Any experience thereafter can be used for points in the "work experience" category.

If you want to chat further, feel free to PM me.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Very helpful list, thanks for that.

14. Apply for academic transcripts from your university

Will this be your academic record provided by the institution?

• 1 year later...

Thought I’d come back here after all this time. I printed this list in ~March 2008. It became a bit of a talisman for us. As we lived life, sometimes it wound up in a cupboard and wasn’t seen for months, but it was never forgotten and we plodded through the steps. Occasionally hope was almost -almost- lost, but eventually in 2015 we landed in Melbourne on a 457 visa. The job market was tough and many days I almost -almost- let it get to me that losing my job would likely mean having to go back. Thankfully we received our PR after a few years, and on 18th June we attended a virtual citizenship ceremony!

We couldn’t be happier and I’m so thankful that we pulled through! The moral of the story is that it’s hard; really hard. But if you let your “give up” always be an “almost”  then she’ll be right!

Thanks to Jordy for the original post. Not sure if you still monitor this forum, but, hat tip, you made a great contribution to our journey!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, Jordy is still around... 😊 The list was built on a number of lists from various people over time.  Glad it helped you as we hoped it would.  Purpose served!👍  

2 minutes ago, Riekie said:

Yes, Jordy is still around... 😊 The list was built on a number of lists from various people over time.  Glad it helped you as we hoped it would.  Purpose served!👍  

Awesome! I literally just today pointed someone who is "starting the process" to the list.

• Like 1