The 100 step process to immigrating to Australia from South Africa

Jordy

This is great. Thank you so much! I have just printed this and stuck it on my fridge!

Good post Jordy, I've sent it to a few other who are now getting the bug since we told them we're going..

perhaps the the point on Container costs could be updated... 20ft = R65K+ 40ft=100K+

:)

I have created Excel count down list for people to download and use.

Be warned, if you reset you do so at your own peril, I cannot recover it for you.

Use any character you fancy in the white column to mark completion of the task and it will count down your to-do list.

Please make sure you have Macros enabled to use the reset function. And save it in a convenient place!

To Do list count downer

I have updated it again so you may want to re-download it

• 2 weeks later...

This is such an awesome thread. So, so helpful.

It makes the process seem less daunting.

Thanks sooooo much Jordy!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We need another list of "Steps on arrival" with things like - getting medicare cards, bank accounts, phones etc etc :)

• 4 weeks later...

Mmmm... Good idea! :ilikeit: I've done it too long ago to remember it all - maybe a more recent arrival could take that on.

Thank You Jordy for this amazing list you put together and were so kind to share it with us all. I am close to the end of my process and even though I only just came across your list today, it has been extremely helpful still. There were a few items on your list that I realise I could perhaps do a little extra work on for the good reasons that you pointed out. One Item I had totally forgotten to put on my list was copies of important documents to leave behind with my sister. Although she does hold a backup of most of my documents it does not include everything and especially my WILL. Thank you once again Jordy. :)

• Like 1

I am very pleased so many have found this list helpful. Although it does need updating. Perhaps I will have a look at it again and update.

• 1 month later...

Really impressive list, reminded me of things that I still need to do!

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this. I am just starting the whole process...lodged my EOI on 18th June, and will definitely be referring to this list in the upcoming months.

Thank you Jordy, I used this list in 2008 and have been in Australia for four and a half years.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone who has done this just check whether all the steps are in place please, and add is need be

• 1 month later...

Hi all, is there anyway someone could do an updated version of this or edit this one? So much has changed and I am getting a little confused. Especially in what order the invite, case officer, medicals and final payment happens,

Thanks!

This process was written with the RSMS visa in mind. I will have a look at it to update it but there is a good post by HadEnoughofJuju detailing the precise process for EOI visas.

• 5 months later...

None of my children ever considered moving to Australia. Like all of us, they love South Africa. Now my daughter is pregnant and they realize the value of bringing up a child in a secure environment. I just hope that the Australian Government will allow them to immigrate. I miss my children so much and it would be like heaven having them here.

Thanks for this list. I wish I had seen it while I was going through all the steps of moving to Australia!

None of my children ever considered moving to Australia. Like all of us, they love South Africa. Now my daughter is pregnant and they realize the value of bringing up a child in a secure environment. I just hope that the Australian Government will allow them to immigrate. I miss my children so much and it would be like heaven having them here.

I sent her the link to this list. I am sure she will find it useful.

• 2 months later...

I agree LizM - a list of things to do on arrival would be really handy right now...

Jordy, can you post that link to HEOJJ post?

Which post? Did he do one with steps to do once arrived?

You mentioned HEOJJ did a good one with EOI Visa, so I assumed you had the post to read. :)

I made the comment back in Aug 2013 and I cant remember the topic title. I tried searching for it but cant find it now. :(

• 5 months later...

Jordy, thank you for this list. I only read it now and my husband and I have been through these steps (we have our visas and plane tickets), but there was advice that we didn't think of that has been very useful. Great tips on how to tie up lose ends too. Thank you!

I see that others are asking if this list needs modifying for more recent times. We got our visa in June 2014 and I must say this list still applies and we went through parts that were applicable to us (we have no kids, pets, house or business to sell - so very easy for us to pack up and go!)

• Like 1