Where to start

I have got a lot of info from immi.gov, etc about immigration, but where do I start and for which visa do I apply? Must I do the IELTS test first (R1350), then a skills assessment with ACS (Aus Computer Society) $430 and do the medical? Then apply for a visa and for which one – General skilled / sponsored / regional? I am a computer programmer and my job is listed on SOL, SSASSL and ENSOL and I think I’ll get 110 points.

I hope someone will be able to help me.

Hi,

If you are overwhelmed by the number of choices, perhaps you should pay for an initial consultation with an immigration lawyer and take their advice? Thereafter, you can manage the application on your own. Also, read all the posts on this site regarding the different types of visas and decide what your timeline is. The sponosored route is often the fastest, so could be an option if you want to get on with it and move sooner rather than later. Once here, you can always apply for PR if you prefer.

Hope this helps

Ajay

Hi there

I know a few of the immigration agents have free monthly email updates that you can register for. I have found these pretty useful as they keep you up to date on possble changes, times lines etc.

I agree with Ajay if you are not 100% sure spend the few hundred bucks on a consultation with a good registered agent. Make sure you take your cv and all the info you might need and write down a list of questions. Once you have the facts you can then do the application yourself. Don't be scared of the process it can be overwhelming but you can do it without an agent and there is always help on the forum if you have any questions.

Good Luck

Thanks for the advice, will go and see an immigration lawyer.

Groetnisse

Hi there

We went to a migration company' s presentation (free) and then had a low-cost (+/-R350) consultation to check exactly which visa we should apply for, how the points added up and what our next steps would be.

If you fancy finding out if they have a presentation near to you anytime soon, try www.netmigration.co.za.

All the best!

Abby (and Tim)