RETURNING 2 South Africa

RSA-Klong

Question

Ek het lank gedink of ek my tyd moet mors om iets te skryf, maar het toe maar besluit dalk sal dit vir iemand iets beteken, dalk nie. Soos talle voor ons, het ons alles gepak en was vol lus vir ons nuwe lewe in Oz. Die lewe het toe nie so mooi uitgedraai soos alles in ons drome was nie.

Ons sit hier vanaand, amper die laaste aand in die wonderlike wereld down under. Ja, ons vlieg binnekort terug SA toe. I must admit that this was one of the most expensive journeys I have undertaken to discover who and what I am at this stage of my life. I am so sad that I ever had the opportunity to experience Oz, for it must be one of the best places on earth to live. I am sad that I will never be able to call this home or to make it my own.

I suppose that I am one of those people for whom immigration does not work. The friendly people that helped us to pack the few things we bought here informed me that we are the second family for the day that they have packed, returning to South Africa. My jaw dropped to the table. I asked them if they often get this. For the second shocker, YES!!! Last week one team of the ten teams, packed up 5 families returning to South Africa. This was confirmed by the office. Who these people are, nobody knows, but they are there, and they are more than we think or like to think.

I know people will now say that, yes there are people returning, but think of the thousands that are coming here. I also know of the thousands that are coming here, because we were part of them. But what people do not realise is that hundreds are returning as well, and we NEVER hear from them. Why do we not here from them? If you read my first sentence again, you will know why. ……………… Why bother, I already feel like a failure, and the last thing I have energy for now, is to hear what a bad place South Africa is and to be crucified by some members.

This forum have helped me so much and I am not trying to undo the good work of the forum, but rather would like readers to know there is another side as well. Die meeste van julle is wonderlike mense. Sterkte aan die wat bly en sterkte aan die wat terugkeer.

• Answers 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• elizes

• Blossom

• Mara

• Annette

Top Posters For This Question

Just wanted to wish you luck on your move back and hope everything works out well for you guys. This is a totally personal decision and nobody can criticise you for the move back.

Would also love to hear your reasons, might help a lot of people.

Glad the forum was some help for you guys.

Cheers

Dedrei

I am feeling fou you. It must be very hard doing what you are doing, immigrating again!!!! I would like to know a bit more. Do you mind telling us your reasons for comming to oz, what made it impossible for you to make your life here work and why you decided to go back "home". How long were you in oz?

Sorry for so many questions but I do believe people need to know why and be prepared for oz by knowing the good, the bad and the ugly.

Good luck with your life in SA. I hope you find paece and happiness there. I love SA and always will.

H

At the end of the day, RSA- Klong you must do what is best for you and your circumstances. Each person is unique and no-one has the right to say that you are making a stupid mistake or persecute you in any way for your decision. You're not the first to realise that Australia isn't for them and you won't be the last, and there are plenty of people living happily in SA who have never entertained the thought of emigrating. For interest's sake I would also be interested in the questions Henriette asked. Perhaps it could help someone who is in two minds. This forum is to help people in their emigration to Australia but at the same time your story may make someone realise that it's not for them either and save them all the upheaval, expense, etc.

All the best with your move back. :whome:

Liewe RSA-klong,

Ek lees absolute moedeloosheid tussen die lyne. Jy en jou gesin is seker gedaan met die innerlike stryd en dan nog al die harde werk ook.

Daar is niks wat ek kan se om jou beter te kan laat voel nie. Ek kan ook nie oordeel nie. Wat ek wel kan se is dat ek bitter, bitter jammer is dat jy so 'n besluit moes neem, ek is seker dit was nie ligtelik geneem nie.

Ek is jammer dat dinge nie uitgewerk het nie maar ek verstaan........dis ons tweede kans hier. Ons moes ook terug many moons ago en deur die Here se genade is ons 'n tweede kans gegun. Ons is nie meer spring chickens nie en om elke keer van voor af te begin vat aan 'n mens.

Ek wil net se dat ek jou voorspoed toe wens en hoop dat jy baie gelukkig sal wees in die toekoms. Jou heil is waar jou hart is.

Groete,

Kannidood.

I am glad you posted this as I often wonder how many people do go back and what their reasons are....

Good luck with your return to sunny SA, I hope it is all you hope it will be :whome:

Cheers

Gaille

I have a sense of sadness when I read you posting :whome:

I hope that you and your family can find peace in the decision that you have taken and wish you luck...

Ek hoop die volgende paar stukkies sal jou laat beter voel. Mag julle weer gelukkig wees.

George Bernard Shaw:

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent in doing nothing.

Havelock Ellis:

It is on our failures that we base a new and different and better success.

Robert F. Kennedy:

Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Samuel Smiles :

We learn wisdom from failure much more than from success. We often discover what will do, by finding out what will not do; and probably he who never made a mistake never made a discovery.

William Saroyan:

Good people are good because they've come to wisdom through failure. We get very little wisdom from success, you know.

So many times we are called "brave" because we take the big decision to emigrate.

I think you are braver than us.

To come to your own conclusions about the whole thing and go back, is a personal and extremely difficult thing.

It is no shame to admit it didn't work for you.You have the courage to be honest about it publicly.

Of course we are all sad that it didn't work out for you, but I'm sure every single one of us wishes you happiness in South Africa.

Go well.

Tracy

You need to do what's best for you, never mind what anyone else thinks. In one of the posts re: Why?, more than 70% of the people who voted said they came to Australia just to get away from South Africa, I was wondering if that is why some go back? I don't believe that can be the motivating factor, you are sure to encounter major obstacles.

I am not suggesting that is your reason for returning but I also have a friend who is busy with the immigration process and her attitude is as above, she doesn't really want to go but feels she has to, I am afraid she will be one of the families returning one day. Would be good to hear your reasons, just to prepare those still contemplating the move.

I wish you happiness and peace with your decision.

Sterkte met jou terug trek ek dink daar is meer van ons wat verstaan hoekom jy terug gaan as die wat nie verstaan nie. Erens op die forum het iemand gese wanneer jy hier aanland is dit vrek moeilik om vriende te maak want julle het niks in gemeen nie, daar is nie 'n geskiedenis saam nie en die praatjies om die braai vleis vure is maar hoe sleg Suid-Afrika is ens ens ens. Is hier beleef dit en glo my tussen my en my man het ons al baie gewonder of ons die regte ding gedoen het. Daar is lede in ons familie aan wie ons vreeslik na is en het elke naweek by hulle gekuier of hulle by ons en nou is hulle nie hier nie. Dis 'n groot gemis maar ons is al 3 maande later en ons moet dit net laat werk want ons "pension fund" is leeg en ons moet dit weer eers op bou. Dis nie maklik nie maar tog is dit baie opwindend. Sterkte vir jou en jou gesin, ek hoop dit gaan met julle baie goed en hou nog kontak op die forum dat ons kan weet hoe dit met jou gaan.

Answers to your questions and reasons:

The reasons we came here is the same as 80% of the people that come here. Violent Crime and a corrupt government. The hope for a better future for one self and the kids.

We miss HOME. Family, friends and the known. It is probably silly, but this is my silliness and what I think: I miss the soil, ja die grond en sand. Dit is net nie dieselfde hier nie.

I do not know for how much longer I will manage to keep myself together. I know I have a very strong willpower to succeed and make things work, but it did not help this time. I am positive about life, but even that did not work for me.

We’ve been here for not to long, less than one year. I know it is not enough, but I can not go on for much longer.

THE GOOD

– the people, the rules and traffic rules, the economy, freedom, safety, safety, safety, no worries mate attitude, the traffic hospitality, RESPECT – RESPECT - RESPECT for people (in general Ozzie’s have respect for each other and for you), down to earth people (none of those snobs), fun and free family activities, Recycling, TAX is high but at least you can see where it is going to, food glorious food - the best that I have tasted.

THE BAD

– lots of people with tattoos and body piercing, school boy’s long hair, traffic – dam traffic, BAD Graffiti and some more Graffiti and some more Graffiti – it can drive me crazy, expensive property, not used to wooden houses with dry wall inside.

I know I will miss this place so much. I wish I could have been brought up here and I wish I could blame my parents for not immigrating to Oz, but I can not do that. One day my kids will blame me for not staying here I suppose.

Oz will have a tiny place in my heart and a huge chunk of my mind. The sad thing is that no matter what I do, stay or go, Oz will always welcome me but it will never feel like home. I knew this before I came, but did not realize that I could not live without it.

Thanks for all your wonderful replies. It really feels great that people still care. Ek sal kontak met die forum hou.

See ya.

RSA-klong, dit vat b@lls om te doen wat julle doen en om vir ons almal te vertel hoekom.

Alles van die beste en ek hoop julle bou sommer gou gou weer alles op wat julle verloor het met die trek.

Sterkte en wees veilig

Nilo

RSA Klong,

I cried my eyes out reading your post, probably because you speak so much truth. I wish you well and hope you are happy back home.

Jacqui

Guest Bronwyn

You gave it a shot. There is no shame in deciding it was wrong for you.

I hope you find peace and happiness again in South Africa. Take some time to work on your inner calm and recover from all the changes.

You will find your strength again in time. :whome:

Thank you for starting this thread, RSA-Klong, and thank you for your honesty in writing such a personal post. I really feel for you and for your family, and wish you all the best in your return to your homeland!

The reason why I am grateful for this thread is that too often we only hear the "good news" stories and I often feel that people are wary of posting "bad news" or negative comments for fear of being shot down or belittled. It takes guts to do what you have done, and its instructive for others to read your comments.

Good luck for your move, I wish you peace in your decision

Cindylou

Guest Vermeulens

Hi RSA-Klong,

Dankie dat jy eerlik is, dit help dié van ons wat nog twyfel of ons werklik moet gaan. Ons is reeds in die proses, maar kan dit nog keer.

Ek het tot dusvêr nog net met mense kon praat wat in Oz is en in Oz gaan bly. Ek het nog nie gehoor wat die redes is vir mense wat terug kom nie .... dankie.

Hou asb aan om te skryf wat met jou familie gebeur. Daar is dalk net soos in Oz Forum lede wat jou kan help in SA.

Em

Hi julle,

Ja, dit van baie courage om te admit as iets nie werk nie. Niemand het die reg om 'n ander te veroordeel nie. Ons is maar baie onlangs in Oz, en dit is wragties nie maklik nie. Mens moet doen wat vir jou reg is en ek kan verstaan hoekom mense SA verlaat maar ek kan net so goed verstaan as mense terug gaan huistoe.

Hierdie is NIE 'n walk in the park nie, en as dit nie gewerk het nie..dan is dit net hoe dit is.

Ek kan dink hoe jy moet voel, en hoe mense by die huis reageer. Tel jou kop op en stap daar terug in SA in met pride.

Sterkte vir julle journey terug huistoe. Ek dink meer mense sal verstaan as wat jy besef.

Baie groete

A

Sjoe, julle sit seker met soveel emosies! Maarweet net dat dit jul besluit is en niemand anders sn nie. Julle gaan weer op julle voete kom en aangaan, al voel dit nou onmoontlik!

Baie sterkte en laat weet asb hoe dit met julle gaan. Dalk kan jy ons almal nog help met raad ens :D

Groete

Elize

I take my hat off to you :D for posting.

Everytime someone does a poll of some kind there is always 3-5 that say they made a mistake and want to go back to SA BUT nobody ever knows why.

It's not that we want to know everybodies business but I always just think that it might just help another family who is feeling the same or help them to realise that it's not going to work for them either before they spend all the money coming over.

Only you can decide what is right for you and your family and if that means going back to SA then that's what you must do.

There is no way that you can stay here but it kills your soul.

I have the sence that you have learnt alot about yourself through his whole exprience and I also believe that your new found knowledge will help you cope with what lies ahead in this new chapeter of your lives.

Best of luck mate to you and your family.

Be proud that you tried and were man enough to admit it was not for you.

Best wishes

Lindy-Lee

:ilikeit:

RSA Klong - ten minste het jy probeer. Ek dink mens kan eerder probeer en dit werk nie, as wat jy in SA was en gewonder het - wat as....

Ek is so sad vir julle :D , om te gaan is moeilik, maar om te besef dis nie vir jou nie, kon nie maklik gewees het nie. Maar die lewenswaarhede wat jy hierin omtrent jouself en ek glo, oor julle as gesin en as familie geleer het, kan niemand van jou af wegvat nie.

Sterkte mater - moenie verdwyn nie - ons wil hoor hoe dit met jou gaan. En soos Nilo sê - wees veilig!!

RSA Klong, it is extremely useful to people to see that things are not just a bed of roses and that quite often people do return. It happens to all migrants, from all countries. And almost always it is homesickness and missing family that becomes too much :ilikeit: People should know this - it is very important to be prepared. It's not only emigration that has this effect, I have family in SA who moved from PMB to East London and are going through exactly the same processes and the same mourning and difficulties as we have experienced. Good luck, mate. I hope things work out for you. You sound extremely depressed to me - I hope you will consider seeing someone for this :D

Edited by Annette

RSA Klong

Its like Annette says, this kind of post is very usefull.

I feel very strongly that both sides of the story should always be told. That is why I am so against websites that try to get people back into SA with false stories of how great it is. Same thing with leaving SA, you cant just tell people how nice it is in Aus. People need to see it for what it is and that it only promises to be what it is.

Immigration is a very personal decision and it is wrong to try to tell people to stay in SA, because you want them to, or to try to get people to immigrate with you, because this will make it easier on you.

So it is great to see stories of people who settle in well and hear from them what their experience is, but it would be good to also hear from people who would rather come back and why that is so that people can see that this is a unique experience and so that they can be more prepared.

There are still people who are staying in Zim, and maybe they will never leave. That is their choice.

You are responsible for your own life and choices, and have to live with your choices so make sure they are right for YOU. And be happy for those who may make different choices. Encourage them and support them.

Learn from this experience and dont let it put you off trying different things.

Who knows maybe in 10, 15 years time you feel differently (people change) and you move again to somewhere else and maybe that time you are happy. Or maybe you stay in SA and you are always happy here. Who can predict the future?

Good luck and remember this is the first day of the rest of your life make the most of it!

RSA Klong

Alles van die beste, mooi loop.

Julle gaan seker terug Kaapstad toe, hoop alles sal goed uitwerk vir julle.

Sahla Gahle e Ningizimu.... Mooi Loop. ;)

Dax

Edited by Dax

rsa klong

Thanks so much for sharing this post .It is so important bcause i do believe there r alot of people who can relate.Good on u for giving oz a try!!! who knows anyway how decisions will turn out in future....U have gained selfknowledge...insight...Money cant compare with the jewels in your soul u have discovered...It is often out of the most painful expierences ...that we learn the most....And people r different, families r different...this is why the immigration solution is not a one size fits all solution.I think most of us r unprepared for the huge emotional cost of immigration ..I am also still not in oz yet.....this is a matter of concern too me.We live in a globalized world....people move all over ...and if u move back to sa u can always try moving again ..later.We do create our future each day a new not by a single choice to immigrate to here or there at a spesific time.I know there r restrictions on opportunties, hopefully in future there will be many more for u.

I do admire u for your courage to speak out...and i know u r helping alot of people by doing so.We need to be honest on this forum...also honest about the challenges realities and heartaches.....This will enable us all to support each other better in the preparation and settling in phase..