English Test again

Hi there, I have been reading this site for a while now but this is the first time I have written. Will introduce myself later but have an urgent query for now. My husband is doing the General english test tomorrow and I am suddenly nervous for him. He has not prepared at all but we are absolutely English speaking S.africans. We do not speak any other language and he has a degree from Natal University. He is also an editor of English magazines. We find it very irritating that we have to do this test at all but rules are rules. Do you think it is straight forward enough that he will pass without any prepartion. It seems to be a series of questions and answers to check your comprehension of the language. Am I correct. Are there any factual/theory type questions from the good old school days. Any re-assurance will help.

Thanx Megan.

HI Megan

I've extracted a section of a PM I wrote to one of the other forum members, detailing the four components of the test.

I wrote the test in January and my partner wrote in Feb. We are both English speakers, and found the test relatively easy. I got three 9's and one 8, and my partner got three 8's and one 9 (out of a possible nine) The interesting thing was that my partner really felt that he had flunked the written component, and yet he scored 8/9 for it!

I found the oral component awful - I was v nervous beforehand, but it was actually OK, they just chat to you a bit about yourself and then ask a few "leading" questions that you need to answer in a bit of detail. Try not to use any slang words, cos they mark you down for that.

The listening component is quite simple, you have a chance to read through the questions and then listen to a snippet of dialogue containing the answers.

The reading component is also simple, although there are some trick questions, so you need to look out for them. I found that there was heaps of time, they give you an hour and it takes about half that time, so you can afford to go through it slowly. ie Don't Rush it

The written component comprises two sections, firstly a letter (150 words), and then an essay (250 words). My topic was "globalisation" and my partner’s was about kids watching TV - helps when you don't have kids, hey?

From what you say about your husband's use of the languauge I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Basically they are testing your ability to understand English and use it in daily life, not do you know the difference between an adverb and a proverb....

Good luck and welcome.

Cindylou

Hi

The exam has four sections:

Listening, where they play conversations and you have to fill a questionnaire while the cd is playing. Read the section of questions when they tell you to, so that you know what to listen for. Can be tricky but not that difficult. Don't assume or use your own words, write exactly as it was said.

Reading, good old comprehension test, easy, with enough time to make sure your answers are correct.

Writing, write a letter of 150 words requesting something or complaining about something, don't need to put in addresses. Don't write less than 150 or you'll get penalised. Don't forget to detail exactly what you want, I had to ask a performer to come to a celebration and forgot to tell him where it was :holy:.

Write a 250 (also don't write less than 250) word essay for or against a subject. Must follow logically. Use examples from own experience. Easy

The writing part is also easy, just watch the time and pace yourself accordingly. They check for grammar and spelling as far as I know.

For all of the above, when you are requested to write one word, two words etc. write the amount they ask for.

Speaking, speak about a topic they select, very easy, if your English speaking that is.

My first language is Afrikaans and I got 9 for listening (don't tell my wife), 8.5 for reading, 7 for writing (must have been my spelling and grammar, :ilikeit: and 9 for speaking.

The fill in questionnaires count out of 40. Marking is done as follows:

Comprehension: 40,39 -> 9 ; 38 -> 8.5 ; 37 -> 8 ; 36 -> 7.5 ; 34,35 -> 7 ; 32,33 -> 6.5 etc.

Listening: 40,39 -> 9 ; 38,37,36 -> 8.5 ; 35,34 -> 8 ; 33,32,31,30, -> 7.5 ; 29,28,27 -> 7 ; 26,25,24 -> 6.5 etc.

He only requires 6 in all four for the 20 points English score.

Please note this is for General, in the Academic the listening and speaking is the same test but the comprehension and writing differ in difficulty. Also the marking for the comprehension is different.

Hope this helps

Regards

Tjaart

Thanx for the info . He did the test and while he thought it was easy and is confident that he passed he said it was very challenging and lots of trick questions. anyway thats all over now and we can finally send everything off in about two weeks and hope we get the visa. ( general skilled - sponsored)

Thx Megan