IELTS Test

Can someone please help??

I read in the WA Government's Visa Information Booklet that you must have an IELTS score of at least 5 in all four components of the test to be able to apply for a state sponsorship.

We took the test in February and hubby got the following scores:

Listening (6.5) Reading (4.5) - Never liked reading much - Writing (7.5) and Speaking (6.5) with an overall band score of 6.5.

Does this mean he has to redo the whole test for a mark of 0.5 on his reading test??

Anyone who might be able to help with info on this?? He is surely not very happy about re-taking the test. But if that is what needs to be done he has to do it.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Katryn

• Dreams

• MarcK

• Jordy

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Wow... talk about resurrecting an old thread!

Still - they only needed 5 back then?! Daaammmnnn, seems like it has gotten much more difficult to get in to Australia since 2010... sjoe.

The IELTS test reminded me of sitting in a crowded school hall on my last day of Matric (jip creative wring was my last exam), but the exam is really different… I have been doing some research before I wrote and would like to share is with you:

• If you apply electronically, you gain 30 days free access to the road to IELTS. This is an online simulation of the test, and I would highly recommend reviewing it. They give you 3 examinations covering all 4 areas each. It gives you immediate feedback on your progress, and tips on what they are looking for.

o Book online: http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/locations/south-africa

o Road to IELTS: http://www.ieltspractice.com/Clarity/RoadToIELTS/login.php

• Do you have iTunes or any apple product?

o Look on the iTunes store for IELTS, there are several free pod casts and downloads covering all the topics. You can subscribe for free and download. I found the pod casts from aspinall ELT useful

I see comments about IELTS with the low score referencing the reading section… be careful of the following mistakes:

o Spelling

o Number of words… this can change per section, make sure you know which section is 3 words max, and which is 2.

o Tenses: The test loves changing the tense on the answer

o Capitalisation… If the word is mid sentence DON’T write it with a capital on the answer sheet, this will be marked as incorrect…

o Don’t use any commas of full stops; even after the end of the word… again this is throwing points away…

o Watch out for the True, False more specifically Not given.

All of these are covered in detail in the “Road to IELTS”

Good luck!