Flights in December

Bwil

Hi all

My wife and I have just received our visas and we are trying to book flights to Melbourne. We realize that Melbourne is closed to international travel and we qualify for a travel exemption.

The flights are incredibly expensive (R45k each one way) and we're worried that they’ll get cancelled closer to the time. Does anyone know if or when the next travel announcement will happen? Surely with the lower case numbers, Melbourne airport should open soon? Our next best option would be to fly to a Sydney and then drive to regional Victoria, which is where we’ve been placed.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas on how to get from Johannesburg to regional Victoria in December? Any input on where to get info would be appreciated.

Hi Bwil - welcome to the forum.

My understanding is that all being well international flights into Melbourne are due to commence again on the 7th December - you might check with your travel agent/airline as flights may also be restricted depending upon the quotas on arrivals/day and that can also impact flights.

https://www.justice.vic.gov.au/safer-communities/coronavirus-covid-19-quarantine-and-emergency-accommodation-programs/mandatory

Regional Victoria is a big area and driving from Sydney or Melbourne (or Adelaide?) may depend upon the regional location you are heading to and whether any COVID cases in the interim result in any of the State borders closing again? 

Hopefully all will be well borderwise - Melbourne/Victoria today have had 'triple doughnuts' for two days running (ooo No new cases/active/deaths - 😁 you can tell I was in Melbourne's lockdown for too long!). 

All the best on your trip and quarantine.