Moving to Adelaide (from JHB)

AndreSpook

Hi all,

We are moving to Adelaide from Johannesburg. 

We are a family of 4 (my two boys are 4 and 6 years old.)

The company I will be working for is handling the visa application, travel approvals, etc.

We are super excited and we hope that everything will go smoothly - I’m meant to start 1 October.

I would like to get some advice on good neighborhoods in Adelaide for a family with young children. 

Thank you in advance!

You can find good neighborhoods throughout Adelaide, it will be difficult to try give you a list. Where is your work based? North, South, East and West all have good areas, so should maybe start by deciding which side of the city you are looking at then work your way from there. Budget will also play a role when deciding. Also just to give you a heads up, the rental market is very different here and you may not always get the property that you want. 

Edited by frosty

Thanks for the reply. I will be working at the airport. I’d like to stay as close to the beach as possible and looking at about $400/week. 

I'm assuming by airport you are referring to Adelaide International and not Parafield? You could look around West Beach, Henley Beach and possibly Westlakes. Those are the only areas I can really comment on as I have not looked into any other areas near the beach and airport. Its difficult to comment on the weekly rent as everyone has different needs, some will say $400 is doable, others may tell you that it is unrealistic to get a decent place near the beach for that amount. I would suggest you take a look on realestate.com.au to compare your price range with what is available. As mentioned rentals here differ quite a bit to SA. In SA we are use to calling up an agent, telling them what we want, they then take you to inspect the places and if you are happy you sign a contract and get the place you want. Here each rental has a designated viewing date/time (usually just a 15 min window on a certain day) where all interested tenants can come look through the house. You are then required to submit an application which includes a whole bunch on documents with regards to financials etc. These applications are then all sent to the owner who basically gets to pick who they want as the tenant. Keeping in mind that sometimes someone will offer a higher rent than what is initially asked, or terms which are more favorable to the owner. So as many people may tell you, finding a place can sometimes take longer than what you were hoping for if you are not prepared for all of this. Like us you may end up sending in applications for a few places and only getting approved for one of them. 

Yes, Adelaide airport. 

Okay cool, thank you. We are pretty chilled about it - I am sure things will work out as they should and we will end up exactly where we are meant to be.

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the move.
To get an idea of rents you might look at   https://www.realestate.com.au/rent/  and/or  https://www.domain.com.au/rent/

Google maps street view can provide a good idea of neighbourhoods.
A 'good neighbourhood' can vary depending upon the wider context - e.g. if you were looking for good schools etc. there may be some websites that you could check the school scores.

There is also a website (sorry can't remember the name offhand) where you can look at census data about a neighbourhood - average salaries/education level of the residents etc that can be interesting.

Edited by TeeTMI

Schools here are "zoned" and the more sought after ones are often super strict on accepting applications from within their zones . There are often waiting lists to be enrolled.

As your boys will both be "school age" when you arrive, this may be something you'd like to consider when looking for suburbs and accommodation