Discussion I had with someone who got their visa 2 years ago

LekkerOuJan

Just had a long discussion with someone on another platform that I'm not sure how to take.

He insisted that migration to Australia was extremely easy and that practically anyone with a degree and who is skilled in English would easily be able to get a 189 visa, basically said that anyone with 85 points or more is guaranteed an invite, and that most people with 70 points would quickly get a visa, and lower point totals just meant that the application process takes slightly longer. And that anyone who didn't just had to apply for a few jobs in Australia because "plenty" of companies recruit people from outside Australia and then sponsor them with visas. they are also saying they got 105 points with no degrees and only 4 years work experience, how would that even be possible?

His first comment to me was that the Australian immigration system specifically works through employer sponsorship and that that was the primary way to get to Australia, and the only "real" way to get a skilled visa.

Also went on to say that if someone really wanted to move to Australia they could just apply to go to NT and they would very rapidly get a visa because nobody wants to go there.

Anyway, I just needed to rant a little after repeatedly being called a moron for not just "getting my s.... together and moving"

The person you spoke to definitely said some things that were true. For example two years ago it was fairly straight forward to get an invite if you had at least 75 points regardless of English proficiency as that counts toward your score. If you look far enough you will also see that a few years ago people could get a 189 visa with 65 points.

In the last year and a half things have become a lot more difficult firstly with the required points increasing drastically and secondly with the reduced number of places available since COVID-19 began. The unemployment rate is rising and AU companies aren't really hiring locally let alone sponsoring visas so getting a company to sponsor you has become even more challenging.

I think the person you spoke to is smoking something quite potent when it comes to getting 105 points with no degree and just 4 years working experience.

Getting a visa sponsorship and going to live in the NT is definitely doable and a possible way of getting here and starting from scratch. Those first few years will be quite stressful though until you get a permanent visa and living in the NT wont help much as it is definitely a challenging place. I spent a few days in Darwin this past January and am in no hurry to go back as the heat and humidity made it quite unbearable to be outside an air conditioned office. 

In some regards its easy to get in if you have the correct qualifications and points.  He's lying through his teeth if he reckons he has 105 points with only 4 years experience. 

I have an honours degree in Computer Science and when we applied I was in the sweet spot where you get full marks for experience (max 10 years) and being under 35.  I also wrote the English exam a second time to get more marks and got full marks the second time round.  Even with all of that I only achieved 85 points.

He's also incorrect in saying that it specifically works through employer sponsorship.  I have mates that have come in on temp work visas, some on skilled independent, some on the entrepreneur visa.  It's a mixed bag and each stream has its purpose.

It is definitely NOT easy to get in, maybe in the very specific line of work he is in he could get into any state but not all occupations are that lucky.

Did you happen to find out what occupation he's in @LekkerOuJan?

If you don't mind, PM me the link of where you saw this I'd like to go and see this for myself.

15 hours ago, Rossen said:

The person you spoke to definitely said some things that were true. For example two years ago it was fairly straight forward to get an invite if you had at least 75 points regardless of English proficiency as that counts toward your score. If you look far enough you will also see that a few years ago people could get a 189 visa with 65 points.

I had this impression as well, and said as much. Things have changed quite a bit in the last 2 years. He absolutely insisted that nothing at all had changed though.

The unemployment rate is rising and AU companies aren't really hiring locally let alone sponsoring visas so getting a company to sponsor you has become even more challenging.

This was the other thing that I tried to explain and he got very angry at me, saying that it was very common for people from outside Australia to get jobs in Australia, and that anyone could do it as it was the norm.

I spent a few days in Darwin this past January and am in no hurry to go back as the heat and humidity made it quite unbearable to be outside an air conditioned office. 

I've been living in Malawi for the last few years so I suspect I would survive, but I would rather go closer to where my girlfriend is. Unfortunately NT doesn't have many jobs for industrial engineers and (IT) project managers.

10 hours ago, ChrisH said:

Even with all of that I only achieved 85 points.

I'm in the same boat as you, I am 34 years old (was 33 when I submitted my EOI), 9 years work experience, full marks in English, bachelor degree in Industrial Engineering. Have been waiting since February 2019 for an invite and am basically on the verge of just giving up entirely. My girlfriend lives on the central coast and I really want to be with her, but at the moment I don't see a way for me to be able to move to aus anytime soon.

10 hours ago, ChrisH said:

Did you happen to find out what occupation he's in @LekkerOuJan?

He said he was a software engineer, and that he lives in Sydney. Also claimed that there are hundreds of jobs available.

The discussion was on another forum and I'm a little reluctant to reveal my username on that forum, as the anonymity is the main draw.

I have a web page which shows the points score required to receive a 189 invitation.  If you look at the webpage link it ends "Days to Invite"  https://www.taylormadeimmigration.com/DaystoInvite

the reason the page was given that name is because when I set the page up several years ago it was a matter of how many days you would need to wait once you had submitted an EOI (with 60 points as it was then) as opposed to what score you needed. 

The page still includes some of the old scores needed to receive an 189 invite - I have copied the details in below: 

• Previous years 2016-18
  • July 2016 to June 2017 holders of 60 points and over received invitations   (this was in the days that 60 points were the minimum score required to submit an EOI)
  • between July to December 2017 between 65 and 75 points were required
  • between Jan to Dec 2018 holders with EOIs of 70 and 75 points were required
  • 11 January 2019 - 70+ points (EOI's submitted prior to 22/12/2018)
  • 11 February 2019 - 70+ points (EOI's submitted prior to 09/11/2018)
  • 11 March 2019 - 75+ points (EOI's submitted prior to 08/03/2019)
  • 11 April 2019 - 80+ points (EOI's submitted prior to 15/03/2019)
  • 09 May 2019 - 80+ points (EOI's submitted prior to 22/03/2019)
  • 11 June 2019 - 85+ points (EOI's submitted prior to 10/06/2019)
  • 11 July 2019 - 80+ points (EOI's submitted prior to 13/05/2019)
  • 11 Aug 2019 - 85+ points (EOI's submitted prior to 01/08/2019)
  • 11 Sep 2019 - 85+ points (EOI's submitted prior to 03/08/2019)
  • 11 Oct 2019 - 80+ points (EOI's submitted prior to 04/06/2019)
  • 11 Nov 2019 - 85+ points (EOI's submitted prior to 31/10/2019)
  • 11 Dec 2019 - 95+ points (EOI's submitted prior to 30/11/2019)
  • 10 Jan 2020 - 90+ points (EOI's submitted prior to 02/10/2019)
  • 11 Feb 2020 - 90+ points (EOI's submitted prior to 16/11/2019)
  • 13 Mar 2020 - 90+ points (EOI's submitted prior to 29/01/2020)
  • 11 Apr 2020 - 95+ points (EOI's submitted prior to 25/03/2020)
  • 25 May 2020 - 85+ points (EOI's submitted prior to Dec 2019) NB: not all occupations invited - COVID-19
  • 11 Jun 2020 - 85+ points (EOI's submitted prior to 25/03/2020) NB: not all occupations invited - COVID-19

On 7/30/2020 at 2:01 AM, LekkerOuJan said:

they are also saying they got 105 points with no degrees and only 4 years work experience, how would that even be possible?

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-independent-189/points-table

I don't see how 105 points are even achievable for a 189, you would have had to study in Australia, have years of local work experience, be married to somebody that gives you a 10 points boost...