NSW State Sponsored 491 Visa Update

NSW State Sponsored 491 Visa Update

NSW have just announced they will be opening the 491 visa for a short period of time before the end of this migration year for people with an occupation on their skills list and have been living and working in NSW in an occupation closely related to their nominated occupation for the previous 12 months (you need to ensure you meet the full requirements).
- NSW Treasury will begin accepting for NSW nomination for the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491) on Monday 15 June 2020.
- NSW Treasury will stop accepting applications at 5pm Tuesday 23 June 2020.
- Applications will be assessed by the end of the financial year; Tuesday 30 June 2020.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 7:59 AM, TeeTMI said:

and have been living and working in NSW in an occupation closely related to their nominated occupation for the previous 12 months

How would it be possible to achieve this without having the visa in the first place.

My eoi was submitted 18 months ago. I've basically lost hope and am at the point of just giving up.

8 hours ago, LekkerOuJan said:

How would it be possible to achieve this without having the visa in the first place.

It is basically aimed at people currently living in NSW currently on a temp visa (there are many people in that situation).

NSW is hoping to open the 491 wider  in the new year which starts July - although there may be some delays for a few reasons given COVID.

Isn't the 491 a temporary visa in itself? Which is why I ask the question, how would you be legally living in the state if you didn't already have the visa?

6 hours ago, LekkerOuJan said:

Isn't the 491 a temporary visa in itself? Which is why I ask the question, how would you be legally living in the state if you didn't already have the visa?

A person could be legally living in a state if they held one of a number of temporary visas - e.g. WHV, student, 485, NZ visas, 457/482 etc. 

Different people have different circumstances/ preferences / options and may use different pathways depending upon these.  

Edited by TeeTMI

• 5 weeks later...

As the states are all closed for 491/190 sponsorship's and coupled with the DHA not inviting in the normal way for 189 -  what is the recommendation in terms of the EOI's currently on the system? Do we leave them open or will they not be considered? I have seen some communication that EOI's submitted after 1 July would not be considered. Not quite sure if I should withdraw and re-submit in August or if I should just leave the current application in the system? 

I have not heard anything to suggest that EOI's for 189's submitted prior to i July would not be considered into the future. 

In the past even where significant changes were made the old EOIs remained in the system.  

Latching on to this, my 189 EOI will be 2 years old in February, will it expire as normal?

8 hours ago, LekkerOuJan said:

Latching on to this, my 189 EOI will be 2 years old in February, will it expire as normal?

Yes (assuming the government don't change their current policy)