Sponsoring a family member

Rhyss

Question

Is it possible to sponsor a family member who remains in SA to join their family in Aus? My wife's brother (single, no dependents) in his early 40's remained in SA to look after elderly and needy folks. The folks have now passed on and we'd like to investigate the possibility for him to join family in Aus. All his siblings (his two sisters), nephews, nieces etc are living in Aus (Aus citizens) and it makes good sense for him to join the family. He ticks all the health, character, English language boxes but does not qualify under the skilled migration route. I'm wondering if anyone else has managed to navigate this process and perhaps we can go down the same path.

Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

Outside the Skilled visa options there is a Family sponsored visa option the 'Remaining Relative Visa' to be blunt due to the estimated processing times it is not a great visa and comes with significant issues but might be something taking a look at if there is nothing else suitable?  All his close family would need to be living in Australia.

1 hour ago, TeeTMI said:

Outside the Skilled visa options there is a Family sponsored visa option the 'Remaining Relative Visa' to be blunt due to the estimated processing times it is not a great visa and comes with significant issues but might be something taking a look at if there is nothing else suitable?  All his close family would need to be living in Australia.

Thanks Tee, I heard that the "remaining family visas" are capped so you could be in a long line awaiting you chance.

TBH, I don't know for sure if he will not make the skills list, especially regional sponsored or something like that. I've had no experience in this (not recently) so trying to navigate the visa requirements looks almost like it's been made to be deliberately difficult! He's worked in the same industry most of his life in various capacities but putting a finger on exactly what Aus will see as a valuable skill is the hard part. Would this be the kind of information that you or your colleagues could provide in some kind of per-assessment?

Kind regards

12 hours ago, Rhyss said:

Thanks Tee, I heard that the "remaining family visas" are capped so you could be in a long line awaiting you chance.

TBH, I don't know for sure if he will not make the skills list, especially regional sponsored or something like that. I've had no experience in this (not recently) so trying to navigate the visa requirements looks almost like it's been made to be deliberately difficult! He's worked in the same industry most of his life in various capacities but putting a finger on exactly what Aus will see as a valuable skill is the hard part. Would this be the kind of information that you or your colleagues could provide in some kind of per-assessment?

Kind regards

Within the skilled visas then there may be options if his skills/qualifications/work experience meet those expected within an occupation on one of the lists.  He is welcome to contact me on our business email below and I can take a quick look.  For the permanent residence skilled visas there is an age limit of 45 (other than rare exemptions). 

Yes the last time I checked the Dept of Home Affairs were suggesting an estimated processing time of 30-50 years for the remaining relative visa - so only viable for most people if applying from within Australia and even then due to the conditions whilst waiting it is not ideal.