SkillSelect Invites for 189 / 491FS visas - 11th April 2020 round

SkillSelect Invites for 189 visas - Results from the 11th April 2020 Invitations.
A very low round of invites this month.

189 Visa Invites: 50 x 189 visa invitations were issued. The points score for 189 occupations not on the ProRata table was 95+. The EOI cut off date (deeming date) for those with only 95 points was 25/03/2020.
The attached table shows the points required for the 189 occupations that are issued on a ProRata basis (this month Accountants needed 100+ and Industrial, Mechanical and Production Engineers 105+ points).

491(FS) Visa Invites: 50 x 491 visa invitations were issued. The points score for all occupations not on the ProRata table was 95+. The EOI cut off date (deeming date) for those with only 95 points was 10/04/2020. (NB: 15 points can be obtained for 491 sponsorship https://www.taylormadeimmigration.com/Skilled_Points_Score).
The 491 is a Regional Provisional visa, if aiming for PR please research and ensure you are comfortable with the pathway to PR.

The points required to receive an invitation for a 189 visa in previous recent months can be seen at our web site

Points.jpg

How on earth does someone get 105 points? Was expecting it to go down, not go up to a score that doesn't even seem possible.

On 4/23/2020 at 12:36 AM, LekkerOuJan said:

How on earth does someone get 105 points? Was expecting it to go down, not go up to a score that doesn't even seem possible.

that's how the limit the numbers , they keep the occupation on the list - but make the points so high its not obtainable.  I would expect this to be case for a long time to come, unemployment in Aus is about to go to 10% for the first time in 60+ years, there will be a lot of political pressure to halt immigration until its back down to 3-4%...

1 hour ago, LM17 said:

that's how the limit the numbers , they keep the occupation on the list - but make the points so high its not obtainable. 

With the ProRata occupations the ProRata system was started so that a limited number of occupations do not take the full quota of 189 places.  Because there are such a high number of applicants for the ProRata occupations what was initially found when this system started was that sometimes nearly all the invites were made to people in about 4 occupations (the number has been increased over time).  Plus, that all the places for that occupation could be invited within a couple of months leaving no more places for that occupation in the remainder of the year.  This meant that people in other occupations were not being represented in the migrants being invited, and if you were e.g. an Accountant if you hadn't received a n invite in the first month or two you may have another year to wait. 

One of the reasons why many Accountants can score high points is that many with high points have studied for their qualification in Australia and obtain additional points for that study. 

1 hour ago, TeeTMI said:

One of the reasons why many Accountants can score high points is that many with high points have studied for their qualification in Australia and obtain additional points for that study. 

100 points is insane if you are from South Africa, my wife and I are both CAs, scored 9 and 9.5 in IELTS, had 10+ years experience post articles and we got to  85 or 90 I think....3,4 years ago that was more than enough..thanks for the clarity 

19 hours ago, LM17 said:

100 points is insane if you are from South Africa, my wife and I are both CAs, scored 9 and 9.5 in IELTS, had 10+ years experience post articles and we got to  85 or 90 I think....3,4 years ago that was more than enough..thanks for the clarity 

They have also reduced the quota of places for the 189 visa - significantly this year https://www.taylormadeimmigration.com/2019-20 Migration Plan

This year has seen the introduction of a couple of new visa aimed at encouraging migrants to move to places other than the main big cities (e.g. not Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast which still leaves a very large range of options).   So as far as the 189 visa is concerened change in the points calculation (with some new points categories) plus a reduction in the number of 189 places has increased the score required and have made it very competative. 

Therefore, people unable to meet the points might consider the other skilled visa options such as the state sponsored 190 and the new regional visa option the 491 https://www.taylormadeimmigration.com/Skilled_Visas

On 4/27/2020 at 5:22 AM, LM17 said:

100 points is insane if you are from South Africa, my wife and I are both CAs, scored 9 and 9.5 in IELTS

I'm an industrial engineer. Maximum score on the PTE, 10 years experience. 34 yo. I have only 85 points. The way I'm looking at it is that there is basically no way in hell that I will be able to move to Aus at all. It's all very difficult to accept.

12 hours ago, TeeTMI said:

Therefore, people unable to meet the points might consider the other skilled visa options such as the state sponsored 190 and the new regional visa option the 491

This is great in theory, but when states are flat out not issuing 491 visas and have reserved 190 visas only to those able to jump through a few more hoops both of those options disappear as well.

I can't believe how many points people have to accumulate to get invited. 
Makes me feel lucky we managed to go through this process 1 year ago with just 70 points.

22 hours ago, Aleku said:

Makes me feel lucky we managed to go through this process 1 year ago with just 70 points.

I lodged my EOI over a year ago already, had 75 points back then. Over a year and no invite.

On 5/1/2020 at 12:12 AM, LM17 said:

I would suggest you look at NZ when the lock down ends. good luck 

Thanks, I am starting to seriously consider NZ. My biggest issue is that my girlfriend is in Aus so I really want to go straight there rather than waiting another who knows how many years.

That said, as an aspiring rugby coach NZ does look tempting.