DFAT Advice to Australians Overseas

TeeTMI

DFAT Australian Government: Australians & Overseas Travel     Update 17 March 2020:
We now advise all Australians to reconsider your need for overseas travel at this time.
If you’re already overseas and wish to return to Australia, we recommend you do so as soon as possible by commercial means.

For urgent consular assistance contact:
+61 2 6261 3305 from overseas
1300 555 135 from within Australia
+61 421 269 080 from SMS
For non-urgent inquiries, email smartraveller@dfat.gov.au

Hi TeeTMI

Thanks for the information above. 

We have received our 189 visas and planning to move in May (I wish it could be sooner), as long as the airports are open and we arrive before our initial entry date I assume we can enter Australia as permanent residents? Arriving under two week self-isolation won't be so easy!

5 hours ago, pjebrown said:

I assume we can enter Australia as permanent residents?

With the situation changing by the day / hour, and this news only occurring last night,  I can't advise what the situation may be in May?  Hopefully we may have settled into some routine by then?

Sorry I realise it must be very frustrating.

19 hours ago, pjebrown said:

Hi TeeTMI

Thanks for the information above. 

We have received our 189 visas and planning to move in May (I wish it could be sooner), as long as the airports are open and we arrive before our initial entry date I assume we can enter Australia as permanent residents? Arriving under two week self-isolation won't be so easy!

My Brother-in-law and his wife and family arrived to start their new life 3 hours into the new rules on self isolation. They are currently very frustrated and in isolation as required. Not able to do a thing. 

However, they are extremely grateful to be in the country before the borders close (which may happen)

We are being advised to expect 6 months of significant lifestyle changes in Australia's fight against this virus.

I wish you all the very best in your move. I guess you should prepare yourself for the possibility that May might not happen. It might happen...but it also might not be possible.

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2020 at 2:57 PM, BriD said:

My Brother-in-law and his wife and family arrived to start their new life 3 hours into the new rules on self isolation. They are currently very frustrated and in isolation as required. Not able to do a thing. 

However, they are extremely grateful to be in the country before the borders close (which may happen)

We are being advised to expect 6 months of significant lifestyle changes in Australia's fight against this virus.

I wish you all the very best in your move. I guess you should prepare yourself for the possibility that May might not happen. It might happen...but it also might not be possible.

Thanks for the wishes! We have ended up delaying until at least July for now. It would be longer, but my wife has an excellent job lined up, and they have kindly extended her start date to July - I have no idea when OR Tambo will open though, it doesn't look promising.

It does seem like Australia is handling the pandemic quite well, how did your brother in law cope with the self-isolation after they arrived?