PR and young adults

FingersCrossed

Hello everyone

We got PR and have been in Australia for 14 months. When we applied for PR in 2017, the kids were placed as dependants on my visa as they were full time students and now that we are here, they are working and have obviously passed the 18 age mark where they are now considered adults.

Now that they are adults and working, am I correct in assuming that they hold their PR visa themselves and are no longer "dependant" on me? So could they enter a relationship with someone, move in with that person, maybe even marry one day OR do they need to ideally wait until they are citizens? ( 2 years 9 months to go :-)).

I know that this may be a weird question however I cannot find anywhere that states what happens to PR dependants once they reach adulthood and start living their own  dreams. I want the kids to be able to move and work where they want in Australia and have the life they want without having to be restricted cause they are still classified as dependants on their visa.

Also, when we come up to citizenship application - i would assume that each of us will do our application individually as everyone is a adult. Correct ?

Hope this makes sense. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi FingersCrossed

I can confirm that once in Australia children hold PR in their own right, as do e.g. partners included as dependents within the main visa applicants application. 

Now that they are in Australia there is nothing to prevent them entering a married or de facto relationship with someone. 

As an adult yes they would also apply for citizenship independently (although if you wished you could still  arrange to hold the ceremony together).

Edited by TeeTMI

Thanks @TeeTMI - really appreciate the feedback. 

It is so great that they can now carry on with their lives - and they are loving it so far so I just want them to be able to follow their dreams.

Thanks again