Dual citizen (EU and SA) renewing SA passport from AUS, when in AUS on EU passport

Noel91

Hi guys,

I live in Australia, but my AUS visa is linked to my EU citizenship/passport. I only use my SA passport to leave and enter SA.

My SA passport is going to expire and I want to renew it from AUS. 

Will I have any issues renewing the SA passport in AUS, seeing as I did not enter AUS on the SA passport?

I have not yet declared my EU citizenship to the SA Govt, however I obtained it before I was 18 through descent, so I dont see any issues there!

Thanks in advance,

Edited by Noel91
Added tags

Don't think so but perhaps someone else knows better. Contact SA Consulate in Canberra for documents required. They will post you the docs. Did mine mid 2018, took 6mths to get renewed passport. Biggest pain was to get ink fingerprints in Aus.

Partner flew back last year and renewed in SA. Took three weeks. LOL.

Thanks Shaun.

I am only going to be back in SA for a week. I wonder if I could apply for the passport, get my father to pick it up (get an affidavit, etc.) and then get him to courier it to me here in Perth?

The problem I could see with this would be that they might see that I left SA on the old passport, and then next time I enter I am suddenly on a new passport with no stamps etc.

On 2/21/2020 at 12:54 PM, Noel91 said:

Thanks Shaun.

The problem I could see with this would be that they might see that I left SA on the old passport, and then next time I enter I am suddenly on a new passport with no stamps etc.

I wouldn't worry. Isn't this the same scenario as if you lost a passport? I think getting your father to courier it over is the best option considering all the run around that people have dealing with the SA consulate in Canberra.

I actually phoned the Canberra embassy and they said the same thing :) Now I am trying to find out whether I can definitely get my father to collect the passport on my behalf. I phoned a home affairs office in PE, and got a very unclear answer! I have some more invetigating to do, but will post the outcome here incase anyone else is in the same boat!