Partner Skills

AngelaA

Question

Hi.

I'm trying to calculate my points for the highly skilled Visa (189). I would like to know how the skills assessment works for my husbands qual. In order to get the partner points it states  "Your spouse or de facto partner must also be an applicant for this visa and meet age, English and skill criteria.For you to be eligible for the award of these points your partner must be an applicant for the same visa subclass and must not be an Australian permanent resident or an Australian citizen.  Additionally, you will need to provide evidence that when you were invited to apply for this visa that they:

• were under 45 years old
  • had competent English
  • had nominated a skilled occupation that is on the same skilled occupation list as your nominated skilled occupation
  • had a suitable skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for their nominated skilled occupation, and the assessment wasn’t for a Subclass 485 visa.

My husband meets these requirements, but he has not worked in the field he will be applying for the skills assessment for many years. He is a qualified secondary school teacher, but hasn't taught for 10years. Will he still get a positive skill assessment for the Visa purposes or will this disqualify him?

We won't have enough points without his extra 10 partner points. 

Can anyone shed any light?

2 answers to this question

3 hours ago, AngelaA said:

Hi.

I'm trying to calculate my points for the highly skilled Visa (189). I would like to know how the skills assessment works for my husbands qual. In order to get the partner points it states  "Your spouse or de facto partner must also be an applicant for this visa and meet age, English and skill criteria.For you to be eligible for the award of these points your partner must be an applicant for the same visa subclass and must not be an Australian permanent resident or an Australian citizen.  Additionally, you will need to provide evidence that when you were invited to apply for this visa that they:

• were under 45 years old
  • had competent English
  • had nominated a skilled occupation that is on the same skilled occupation list as your nominated skilled occupation
  • had a suitable skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for their nominated skilled occupation, and the assessment wasn’t for a Subclass 485 visa.

My husband meets these requirements, but he has not worked in the field he will be applying for the skills assessment for many years. He is a qualified secondary school teacher, but hasn't taught for 10years. Will he still get a positive skill assessment for the Visa purposes or will this disqualify him?

We won't have enough points without his extra 10 partner points. 

Can anyone shed any light?

The teaching occupations are a set of occupations that are unusual in that currently to obtain a skills assessment work experience is not essential.  

• Like 1