Is It Just Me?

Rhyss

Hey Guys, it's been a while since I dropped in on the forum. It seems to be pretty quiet?

In the last few months I've come across what seems to be an increase in Saffas doing it pretty tough in Oz? We're in Perth where I believe the job market is not as strong as other states but I seem to be bumping into or hearing about Saffa folks that have lost their jobs, struggling to find work etc. Just wondering if"it is just me?"

Hi Rhyss, good to hear from you.

The forum has been pretty quiet, I think people prefer the facebook groups nowadays.  Haven't noticed any problems in Brisbane yet, I guess it depends on which industries you and your mates work in.

This forum has been quiet for a very long time, it use to be a source of information sharing, it still is but not to the extent it previously was. As ChrisH said, it may have a lot to do with other media platforms.

Regarding employment, I cannot say I have heard of issues. From my experience It may be an issue in Perth other than other states. We live on the East Coast and love it and as far as I can see the economic hubs are in Victoria and Sydney, and up along the East Coast. 

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. This site always used to be a great source of info but TBH, I found it to be very one-sided when it came to peoples views / opinions about moving too and living in Australia. Emigration is always a hotly debated topic and most often people tend to stand by their decision as opposed to sharing the hardships that comes along with such moves. As the saying goes "may your life be as perfect and wonderful as what's shared on FaceBook"

I landed in 2001 so I suppose I've seen the ups and downs of the economy, micro, state and national. Chatting to some of the ladies in the office (Aussie born and bred) who all have stories of close family members and friends who have lost jobs and now finding it difficult to get something close to what they had. One lady was telling me that her hubby was laid off from mining job 2 years ago and he's now working at Aldi packing shelves and she's working a 2nd job on weekends just to get the hours up. Another tells me that her hubby is driving a bus during the day and Uber after hours! Also taking just my immediate family and close friends into consideration, I now know more people looking for work in Aus than in SA! It's these stories that got me thinking 🤔

I think the job market is pretty flat https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-15/unemployment-rate-holds-steady-in-july-abs-data/11416880 , I suppose it depends on the sector, I cant comment on your friends and packing in Aldi as one would need more detail on their situation.

The accuracy of the unemployment figures have been debated many times.

Under-employment is left out and should be considered.

The Roy-Morgan figures are considered more representative but not used by political parties - not sure why?

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/8195-australian-unemployment-estimates-october-2019-201911130611

Roy Morgan estimates over 1.23 million Australians are under-employed in October – 8.9% of the workforce. Combined with 1.08 million unemployed (7.8% of the workforce), this means a total of 2.3 million Australians (16.7%) are either unemployed or under-employed.

Further, it is state dependent, industry dependent and age cohort dependent.

Here are more unemployment information, however it still doesn't consider under-employment!

Jobs advertised as an indicator of positions available: https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/job-advertisements

Participation Rate in Australia - but doesnt take into account those who gave up looking for a job: https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/labor-force-participation-rate

Part Time Employment in Australia - the top peak trend line is upwards and the forecast for 4/20 is much higher

https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/part-time-employment

Per state: https://www.statista.com/statistics/786491/australia-unemployment-rate-by-state/

We put up a seek advert up every 2 or so months for a fulltime 40k pa IT job with no experience needed and get a huge number of responses

The standard format is for a starting salary of 40k with no experience needed and we got 896 applications on the last one, mostly from youngsters with a IT degree, often overseas experience just unable to break into the market.

I think there are a lot of jobs, but too many junior, or people with no experience, so getting started becomes hard when you are competing with 900 other applications

@Nev A very complex issue. If you look at jobs advertised and compare it against job vacancies, over the past 10 years, you notice that over the last 2 years many jobs appear to be available but not advertised. Why? Jobs available mean on the books but not filled and may be no intention to fill due to economic reasons. The latter is supported by the reduced number of jobs advertised. Why? Use this tool: https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/job-advertisements

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/6239.0

From the ABS survey, one of the main difficulties in finding a job or work with more hours reported by persons who were available and looking was 'Too many applicants for available jobs' (205,100 persons or 18%). More than a half of those who reported this (57%) were females. 'No jobs or vacancies in locality/line of work/at all' was another commonly reported difficulty (171,100 persons or 15%) (Table 7).

While the lack of experience/skills play a role  - the IT sector reports the least underemployment. Thus, it points more to lack of positions available.

https://cdn.aigroup.com.au/Economic_Indicators/Fact_Sheets/2019/Underemployment_in_Australia_2019.pdf

To add to the above post, I also find that Aussie companies prefer to employ by word of mouth.

Most companies avoid publicly posting jobs because of Australia being such a saught after emigration country.  When a big company like Tabcorp posts a job they will get thousands and thousands of applications from people who don't even have visas to work here.

On 2/13/2020 at 10:42 AM, ChrisH said:

To add to the above post, I also find that Aussie companies prefer to employ by word of mouth.

Most companies avoid publicly posting jobs because of Australia being such a saught after emigration country.  When a big company like Tabcorp posts a job they will get thousands and thousands of applications from people who don't even have visas to work here.

Agree with this! I am in finance and many of the recruiters I speak to says they dont bother with Seek (LinkinIn also getting worse)  anymore - 90% of CVs are from India/Bangladesh - cant speak English and no work Visa in Aus - so they have to use bots to filter and then you risk missing the few good eggs due to key work searches etc -- so its more and more about networking and who you know 

1 hour ago, LM17 said:

Agree with this! I am in finance and many of the recruiters I speak to says they dont bother with Seek (LinkinIn also getting worse)  anymore - 90% of CVs are from India/Bangladesh - cant speak English and no work Visa in Aus - so they have to use bots to filter and then you risk missing the few good eggs due to key work searches etc -- so its more and more about networking and who you know 

Hi LM17,

That's both an interesting and worrying point. I'm also in finance and my wife and I are heading over next week, both without jobs and no real network. Would you advise approaching a recruiter or are there better ways to extend and grow your network?

On 2/10/2020 at 3:28 PM, Rhyss said:

This site always used to be a great source of info but TBH, I found it to be very one-sided when it came to peoples views / opinions about moving too and living in Australia. Emigration is always a hotly debated topic and most often people tend to stand by their decision as opposed to sharing the hardships that comes along with such moves. As the saying goes "may your life be as perfect and wonderful as what's shared on FaceBook"

I don't think it is a very fair assessment as many people on the forum over the years have expressed & shared their fears, obstacles, hardships, frustrations, disappointments etc. and they've received a lot of support and advice from others who have often experienced the same situations. Advice isn't sugar coated and our members are very honest and blunt about the realities of immigration. Some people find it easy and some find it hard but in the end it mostly works out and when we look back, we still feel it was worth everything. When we share our positive experiences with others, it is to encourage, not to create a false sense of utopia - in fact, we often warn against high and unrealistic expectations. If I had a dollar for every time I said immigration isn't easy, I'd be very rich.  Our lives aren't perfect but its still better than the lives we would have had in South Africa - not only for ourselves but for our children, grandchildren and future generations.  We're making a huge sacrifice to secure an awesome future for them. It's up to them to embrace it and make the best of it.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Riekie said:

Our lives aren't perfect but

Since this discussion, I went on news24 for the first time in many years. The major news are so different...Malemma disruption in Parliament with SONS, bankrupt ESKOM, more murders, dysfunctional municipalities, AngloGold (?) pulling out, 

.....our news: CoronaVirus, closing borders, bushfires, drought, disability support services, royal commissions, 30 year cold case murders reopened, hurricanes, tax scams

Immigration is about exchanging one set of problems for another - you decide which set applies and may be easier to handle

That said - we just came back from cruise/land holiday in South Australia, Adelaide, Tasmania, Kangaroo island & Sydney. The only bad news was that we couldn't land in Canberra due to bushfires...no big deal. Last year we traveled the Outback. We had one scenic flight cancelled due to smoke and a kangaroo strike....

On 2/13/2020 at 7:42 AM, ChrisH said:

employ by word of mouth

Agreed - networking is critical. If you go back to my post and you compare "jobs advertise" against "job vacancy" then you see a large portion of the hidden job market. The hidden job market is ~70% of the job market. However, in the comparison, the difference is fairly constant over time but there is a rapid increase in the delta over the last 2 years and a downward trend. Why? 

On 2/14/2020 at 3:58 PM, Arsenalitis said:

Hi LM17,

That's both an interesting and worrying point. I'm also in finance and my wife and I are heading over next week, both without jobs and no real network. Would you advise approaching a recruiter or are there better ways to extend and grow your network?

Hi , 100% work with recruiters once you get here, meet in person etc..I was lucky, I came on 189, but I worked for multinational in SA and I managed to secure a  a job in their Sydney office....but most South Africans have to take a step or 2 down to get in the job market (Aus experience is important here...) you will find something don't worry.  

3 hours ago, LM17 said:

Hi , 100% work with recruiters once you get here, meet in person etc..I was lucky, I came on 189, but I worked for multinational in SA and I managed to secure a  a job in their Sydney office....but most South Africans have to take a step or 2 down to get in the job market (Aus experience is important here...) you will find something don't worry.  

Will definitely do so! To be completely honest, more than happy to take a step down or even more diagonally lower, just want to make sure that I get a foot in the door. Thank you for the feedback!

On 2/14/2020 at 5:17 AM, LM17 said:

What are the chances of getting a job while still in SA with a positive VETASSESS, superior English and an Expression of Interest profile? Does this count at all in the bigger scheme of things? I have applied for so many jobs - received positive feedback in some cases but most companies are not willing to provide sponsorship....

21 minutes ago, Lorraine said:

What are the chances of getting a job while still in SA with a positive VETASSESS, superior English and an Expression of Interest profile? Does this count at all in the bigger scheme of things? I have applied for so many jobs - received positive feedback in some cases but most companies are not willing to provide sponsorship....

Not really. As you applying for an independent visa (not sponsored) there is no guarantee for an employer that you application will be successful, and even if it is it is almost impossible to provide a timeline. From an employers point of view its a gamble. Having said that though, it won't hurt to get you CV in the meantime. Sometimes you get lucky with a company that is interested and may ask you to let them know once you are onshore.  

Unless you are in a hard to find occupation you will find it hard to get a job from over there, the issues can be summarized as:

You wont be available to start in 30 days

You cant get here for an interview, and even if you do i will then feel bad if i dont take you so would rather not start

You say you plan to fly in xxxx, but then there is a problem and it gets delayed....etc

If you not in a hard to find job, i can just pick a local

Im not saying you shouldn't try, some people, myself included found a job from over there - though i am in a hard to find job, just understand that it probably wont happen, but there is a chance so try anyway, just dont plan your life around it

• 2 months later...
On 2/15/2020 at 6:04 AM, ottg said:

We had one scenic flight cancelled due to ........ a kangaroo strike....

HaHa!  Only in Australia! 🤣

• Like 1