Citizenship application waiting time

STP

Hi all

My wife and I just just submitted our application for citizenship. The immi site says current waiting time is up to 22 months last I checked. 

Has anyone recently gone through the process recentky or curretly waiting? Is this waiting time accurate (ish) or is it an over generous estimation?

We are, of course, happy to wait. It will just be helpful to know how long it really takes. 

Thanks in advance

STP

We applied in May this year, got our appointment notification in July and went for our appointment and test on 1 November. We received our letters to say our citizenship was approved a week or so later, and are now waiting to hear when our ceremony will be, hopefully it won’t be too much longer. It all depends on your local council where you live.

We are in Perth, so not sure what the timeframes are like anywhere else unfortunately.

HFamily

That's very encouraging to hear. Of course, we may not be as lucky with that time frame but at least we know its a possibility.

I didnt know it was council dependant either. Hopefully City of Vincent is quick.

Thanks for the reply.

It’s only the ceremony that is local council specific. Everything else is done by  Immigration, whose offices are in Wellington Street next to Watertown, and is where you go for your interview and test. We’re under City of Nedlands, and you can also have a look on your council’s website to see when they do their ceremonies. 

Hopefully you won’t have to wait too long for your interview date, they seem to be trying to catch up on the backlog.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, STP said:

Hi all

My wife and I just just submitted our application for citizenship. The immi site says current waiting time is up to 22 months last I checked. 

Has anyone recently gone through the process recentky or curretly waiting? Is this waiting time accurate (ish) or is it an over generous estimation?

We are, of course, happy to wait. It will just be helpful to know how long it really takes. 

Thanks in advance

STP

With regard to the time between applying for citizenship and getting an interview/test date - it can vary by state.   As a very broad generalisation currently I have been seeing them at around the 12 month mark (but it can and does vary over time/individual).  After completing these the date of the ceremony from there then depends very much on your local council.

• Like 1

@STP did you need to do South African police clearances for the application?

We are due to apply early next year and i want to preempt this if thats the case.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Yuvi said:

@STP did you need to do South African police clearances for the application?

We are due to apply early next year and i want to preempt this if thats the case.

Thanks

We are in the middle of our application and have been asked for PCC's. 

Thanks @TeeTMI, even 12 months + wait for ceremony sounds much better than the 22 months or so they have up on the site. Hopefully we are lucky enough to fall into this category.

@greggle and @YuviWe needed them due to that fact that we had pent 12+ months outside of Aus on PR (we had the visa for a whie before we left SA). I would get them just in case. We had a comany in SA (Bunny Hop in KZN) do it for us. 8ish weeks. I reccomend them.  

Yes, you do need South African police clearance.  We applied Aug, got our confirmation in Nov with our date to sit our exam in Jan. Was very suprised, thought it would take much longer.  I suppose the ceremony is the one thing that will take time.

Thanks @SandraDee @STP @greggle for confirming the need for police clearances, i will give Bunny Hop a call. I am going to SA in Dec/Jan, might just get it done then if possible.

Thanks again for the info.

Do you need the PCC before you sit the test, or as and when they ask you to obtain one?

We didn’t need new Police Clearances for citizenship, got our PR in 2017 and needed them then. They will let you know in your interview letter if you need one. We just included the old one in our document pack and they didn’t even look at it. I suppose it also depends how often you’ve been back to SA. Each person’s circumstances are so different!

1 minute ago, HFamily said:

We didn’t need new Police Clearances for citizenship, got our PR in 2017 and needed them then. They will let you know in your interview letter if you need one. We just included the old one in our document pack and they didn’t even look at it. I suppose it also depends how often you’ve been back to SA. Each person’s circumstances are so different!

Got you, makes sense!

11 hours ago, TakeItOnTheChin said:

Do you need the PCC before you sit the test, or as and when they ask you to obtain one?

We are in the process of completing the application and this is one of the required documents that has to be uploaded before we can submit.

Hi, haven’t read all the responses. We applied for citizenship In Feb 2018 (NSW Sutherland Shire location). It took 11.5 months to receive an invite for interview and citizenship test. We did tests soon after and had our ceremony in May 2019.

• 2 months later...

Hi. As soon as you receive your interview letters, check the immi website for interview dates. There are sometimes cancelations and you can “fast track” your application. We originally had our interviews schedule for March 2020(we received the interview letter in Nov 2019) but changed it to late Jan 2020. 

If we knew that in Nov, we could have sat the interview and test much earlier...

Edited by WillemO
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2020 at 4:11 PM, WillemO said:

Hi. As soon as you receive your interview letters, check the immi website for interview dates. There are sometimes cancelations and you can “fast track” your application. We originally had our interviews schedule for March 2020(we received the interview letter in Nov 2019) but changed it to late Jan 2020. 

If we knew that in Nov, we could have sat the interview and test much earlier...

Thanks - good tip!

Hi all

Quick question, did you all do separate application for each adult with kids affiliated to 1 of the parents? I did this but didn't realize each application was $280!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 12:35 PM, Jobizzle said:

Hi all

Quick question, did you all do separate application for each adult with kids affiliated to 1 of the parents? I did this but didn't realize each application was $280!

A resident return visa is now $405 each and only lasts 5 years.