Newbie: State Sponsorship

Hi there...

Hubby and I decided to make the move. Currently we are gathering all our documents to have our skills assessed. We are feeling very lost in this whole process...

We think we will apply for either a 186, 190 or state sponsored visa. 

Can someone advise me on how state sponsorship works? where do I find jobs that are state sponsored? Do I apply directly to the state and then lodge the visa application? Or do I apply visa skills select first? 

Any advise will be appreciated... 

Hi PJ11 welcome to the forum

State Sponsorship allows a state/territory to nominate an individual for a 190 visa (or 491 - new visa opening 16th November).  If nominated then the state informs the Dept of Home Affairs that they are 'sponsoring' your application and the Dept of Home Affairs will send you an invitation to apply for a 190 visa.

People are often confused by the word sponsorship expecting there to be some assistance with jobs or finance however this is not the case.

Basically the states/territories are allowed to 'sponsor' people in occupations from a broader range of occupations.  The individual states/territories select occupations from this broader list which they feel will be useful to their state.  
If a state sponsors your occupation you can apply to the state to request they consider sponsoring you.  The states may have additional requirements (e.g. finances/higher English/job offers - varies by state and occupation).  In exchange for a state/territory's sponsorship you are required to make a committent to live and work in that state for at least 2 years once your visa is granted/you arrive in Australia.  You would need an EOI within skill select before applying for state sponsorship.