Shipping wooden items

Angelasmash

I am wanting to ship some wooden items from Durban to Perth when we move but I have heard there can be issues with that. If we fumigate the container before it leaves will that be sufficient? Do we need to pack them separately to other items?

Also, I would also like recommendations on who to use to ship all our furniture, etc over, someone that will pack and itemise everything and fumigate.

Thanks!!

wooden items are totally fine, especially if they are 'manufactured".  Australia worries about wooden items that could carry wood borer so check for telltale holes.  No point in fumigating in RSA as it will just be done again and charged for in Australia.  Most of my furniture is wood and had no problems at all. Australia did fumigate my whole container though.

We used econotrans and were very happy.  1 item had some damage.

We fumigated some items in South Africa before we left and had the certificates to prove it, but quarantine still would not allow one item through which really was quite silly as it was the least suspect of them all. They offered to do gamma radiation on it but the cost was not worth it so I had to pay $50 to get it destroyed.