Process to retain SA citizenship

Yuvi

Question

Hi all,

i posted in and older post with no luck,

so i have started this one to find out if anyone has been through this process recently(apply to retain SA Citizenship?)

Is the process still the same as detailed here http://www.sahc.org.au/citizenship/Dual_Citizenship.htm

My main questions are:

1) Do i need to get the passport copies certified?

2) Do i need to do anything else, eg prove i am not yet a citizen of Australia?

Also any other advice and timelines to make sure the process goes smoothly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4 answers to this question

Hi Yuvi,

Yes, as far as I am aware, this is the correct process to follow. Not sure about your specific questions as we did this quite a while ago and I don't remember whether we certified copies or not (most likely we did), but in the end we received the letter to say we had retained our citizenship. We actually got our Australian citizenship before we heard back about the South Africa citizenship, but the letter to retain our citizenship was dated before the Australian citizenship ceremony, it just took a long while to arrive by post.

Edited by Avatar

Another question,

when doing the citizenship application, was anyone requested to do a Police Clearance check from South Africa?

Thanks

Hi Yuvi, from memory - we did ours about 12 years ago - we were not requested to do a police clearance from SA.

Dealing with the embassy is a nightmare, if you can, do everything via home affairs if you ever go to SA for holidays.

All the best for 2020