How to move to australia checklist and guidance

NatalieHosken

Hi everyone. 

I  submitted my 489 Visa to south australia and hoping for positive news soon. 

My husband and i are working out the logistics of this big move and i hope i can get some advice  from those who made it the move successfully. 

A few questions:

1. How  did you find accommodation for you and your family? 

2.Did you decide to ship or buy household stuff? 

3.if  you shipped... How did you manage the transition... Did you ship your goods a month before you left? I was told you need an address to ship to but looking online... To find a rental property you have to be in australia first. So... Stay with out furniture for a month? 

4. How did you manage the school admission for the kids? I read that schools want proof of residence at keast along term lease in that area before accepting a child. 

Thanks

You might take a look at Jordy's 100 step guide - just seen that it was started in 2008 - so be aware that some of it will not be up to date and you may need to check whether things are still current or not but it may still provide some useful ideas of things to think about.

HI, there is a mountain of information on this forum, I would suggest searching this forum (and others) for your answers , but in short...

1) we booked an AirBnb from SA before we left ( for 1 month)

2) we shipped , I managed to secure work before we left and they paid -- if we had to pay...I am not sure its worth it, but it depends how sentimental you are about your things.

3) our AirBNB was furnished.... there are places here that will allow you to rent furniture while you wait -- another option is to ask on SA Expat forums (on FB) when here, people often "pay it forward" and will give you stuff for free to use (fridge, couches beds etc) --- just do the same for someone in the future

4) Public schools are zoned and they must take you , so apply when you get here , its easy. 

Hope this helps a bit

Thanks @TeeTMIVery informative and robust checklist. Appreciate it.

@LM17 thanks for info, it does help. Yes this site is amazing! Just found it last night and i have been binge reading on every topic :). Appreciate the feedback 

13 hours ago, NatalieHosken said:

Hi everyone. 

I  submitted my 489 Visa to south australia and hoping for positive news soon. 

My husband and i are working out the logistics of this big move and i hope i can get some advice  from those who made it the move successfully. 

A few questions:

1. How  did you find accommodation for you and your family? 

2.Did you decide to ship or buy household stuff? 

3.if  you shipped... How did you manage the transition... Did you ship your goods a month before you left? I was told you need an address to ship to but looking online... To find a rental property you have to be in australia first. So... Stay with out furniture for a month? 

4. How did you manage the school admission for the kids? I read that schools want proof of residence at keast along term lease in that area before accepting a child. 

Thanks

Is that your EOI or have you been accepted and submitting the document to Department of Home Affairs Australia?