When to call it quits????

TEAM3REDEL

Good evening everybody

We really need advice here, please do assist.

We are in the process of applying for the 189 skilled visa and the ONLY document keeping us from submitting the skills assessment is the IELTS academic. 

On the 23rd of October it will be my fourth attempt at attempting the IELTS for an overall band of 8 and a 7 in the writing section. My first two attempts left me at a 7.5 overall band and the last one I wrote, I scored an overall 8, but still a 6.5 for writing. My scores were as follows: Speaking 9; Listening 8.5; Reading 8 and Writing 6.5. With this third attempt, I also applied for an EOR, but to no avail as the remarked writing section came back unchanged with the only comment that the band score for this section remains the same.  

I have joined nearly every IELTS online training class, Chris Pell, Jay, Asiya, Ielts Liz etc. I bought IELTS study materials, Road to IELTS preparation books and now, on the recommendation of the British Council UK joined the edX for additional preparation and study materials. I contacted the British Council in the UK directly as well as AISTL to enquire about the process and how one can improve. The AISTL responded with concerns regarding applicants and the IELTS, but stated that this is the only accepted English test for skills assessments. The British Council are sorry to hear about my frustration and hope to assist me by giving me alternative study and preparation sites, but they still do not provide feedback on where exactly I lose my marks. Thus far, we've spent about R17 100.00 on writing, study materials and re-marking this test. 

My question is this: How do I pass the Academic writing section as required for the skills assessment? What exactly do I do to best prepare and how do I go about doing so if I do not really know where I make my mistakes. 

Any feedback, advice, tips would really be appreciated. We do not want to lose heart and are adamant at getting in to Australia, but how can I be certain that I will ever pass this test?

Regards

Je'nine

Wow @TEAM3REDEL I remember how nervous we were going to write the IELTS! I unfortunately cant help you too much with where you might be going wrong in the writing section, all we did was work through the practice tests and read through a ton of online completed samples. I was fortunate enough that my wife and I both went to write the exam so we "graded" each other on the practice test. We made use of IELTSLiz's summary on how they mark the writing section and basically started following her recipe to complete the answers. My wife got full marks, I only managed a 7.5 since I write too slowly!

https://ieltsliz.com/ielts-writing-task-1-band-scores/

https://www.ielts.org/-/media/pdfs/113313_ac_sample_scripts.ashx?la=en

You might also rather consider the Pearson test? Lots of other forum members hated IELTS and enjoyed the Pearson test more. @Hunts created a nice summary here:

All the very best, we really hope you manage to make this work!

That sucks man, are you allowed to use PTE?  It comes with its own hardships, but in my opinion an easier test to pass.

• Like 1

Good morning Cyber Joe, ChrisH

Thanks for the info and advice. 

I wish we could write the Pearson tests,  but my wife need the extra points for her visa application.  

We are both secondary school teachers with her as the main applicant.

Glad that you are happy with your decision to move.  

God bless

As a suggestion, there are YouTube videos that give ideas on what words to avoid in writing IELTS, or the common mistakes that people make in writing the test; maybe these videos will help. What stood out for me in your writing was the use of "do not" instead of the more common "don't"; I'm not sure if IELTS would prefer the long form, but "don't" is generally the more accepted use of the phrase; you could also use other replacement words. I am sure you will be able to get through the IELTS stumbling block soon!

Edited by Avatar

On 9/10/2019 at 9:35 AM, TEAM3REDEL said:

Good morning Cyber Joe, ChrisH

Thanks for the info and advice. 

I wish we could write the Pearson tests,  but my wife need the extra points for her visa application.  

We are both secondary school teachers with her as the main applicant.

Glad that you are happy with your decision to move.  

God bless

She should be able to get the same amount of points, regardless of IELTS or PTE-A?

I claimed the 20 points for superior English with PTE-A.

I only did the IELTS general, but bought some courses on Udemy which helped a lot. Not enough to get an 8 for writing (got a 7.5), but I feel my writing improved significantly.

There's usually a $10 sale on courses every couple of months.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Carrots said:

She should be able to get the same amount of points, regardless of IELTS or PTE-A?

I claimed the 20 points for superior English with PTE-A.

I believe the points he is referring to is claiming partner points. For this he requires a skills assessment from AISTL who only accepts IELTS. 

Hi Team3

I have extensive experience in preparing candidates for the IELTS test. The Writing section is often the biggest hurdle.

I would be willing to check a sample of your writing, in the hope that I can point you in the right direction.

If you "PM" me (never having sent or received a PM I am assuming it will arrive in my email inbox), I will let you know what I want you to write.

Don't give up: it is really worth getting through the nightmare and reaping the benefits of all Australia has to offer.

Witz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hallo Avatar, Carrots, Frosty and Luckytobehere

Thanks to all of you for the advice and help.

This is to important to give it all up.

Blessings

Wow @TEAM3REDEL that seriously sucks!  Well done on persisting - I'd probably have been close to giving up.  I cannot unfortunately offer any advice but really hope you get that score on the next round! 

Hi there

I too did the IELTS 4 times and couldnt get writing more than 7. We decided to submit for the visa 489 and visa 190 which gives you extra points to apply for the EOI (10 and 5 respectively) .  My ambition was to submit the application while working towards the PTE exam. 

I was lucky enough to get an invite on 489 before taking the PTE. 

Some good news to everyone who cannot get the max scores though. 

From November 16th, 2019.... There will be a change in the points system. An applicant will get an extra 10 points if they are single and if married... If their spouse had taken an english exam and scired atleast 6 across all.... They get an extra 5  points. 

So dont lose hope... Try all routes. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NatalieHosken said:

Some good news to everyone who cannot get the max scores though. 

From November 16th, 2019.... There will be a change in the points system. An applicant will get an extra 10 points if they are single and if married... If their spouse had taken an english exam and scired atleast 6 across all.... They get an extra 5  points. 

Unfortunately not good news for everyone. The 10 points are only for the single applicants and applicants who have a skilled partner. If your partner is unskilled you will not be able to claim the 10 points. The most you could claim extra for your partner then would be the additional 5 points, assuming they can meet the English requirement. This would still leave one at trailing with 5 points.

With the current trend, one can only speculate as to how many points will be required after November to actually receive an Invitation.

Edited by frosty

On 9/20/2019 at 11:25 PM, frosty said:

With the current trend, one can only speculate as to how many points will be required after November to actually receive an Invitation.

The English test can be a horror for many people - hang on in there.

As you say I suspect that there will be a couple of months after the new points categories come into play before we see where the new points score required for a 189 invitation will settle. 
Further factors include

1. the overall reduction in the yearly maximum of places available for the 189 visa this year (number of places for 189 visas reduced from 43,990 to 18,625) and
  2. that there are more than just new partner points available for those eligible (https://www.taylormadeimmigration.com/Changes_Nov19

Given there will be new points within the system it would be expected to increase.  However, over the last few months very few invitations have been made therefore if the Dept start inviting a more representative number for each month (only 100x189 invites in August and possibly Sept) it is possible the points may be a decrease for a short time at some point? 

If your occupation permits you to - you might also take a look at the state/territory sponsored190 visa? 

Alternatively, whilst less desirable than the 190 and 189, there will be the new 491 Regional state/family sponsored visa, starting in November which will also provide a potential pathway. 

The year it appears a lot of emphasis (and an increase in number of potential visa places available 38,968 https://www.taylormadeimmigration.com/2019-20 Migration Plan) will be placed on the state sponsored visa options.  

Don't bother with the IELTS test at all. I passed both the IELTS and PTE tests with superior english, so I have a good understanding of both tests and how they compare.

My IELTS results expired, so the 2nd time around I did the PTE.

PTE is much much much easier to do. It's also cheaper and you don't have to bother with long waiting times.
I wrote the IELTS multiple times and with the long waiting times it can take several months to pass that test, not to mention the cost.

Do the PTE, you'll pass it. Here's the steps my wife and I followed and we both passed the PTE with superior english.

Step 1:
Book gold package op PTE practice. https://ptepractice.com/

Step 2:
Practice the tests and ensure you get 79 in each section.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2019 at 9:16 PM, TEAM3REDEL said:

Hallo Avatar, Carrots, Frosty and Luckytobehere

Thanks to all of you for the advice and help.

This is to important to give it all up.

Blessings

*Too important, not to important

It’s a common mistake that most Australians will make, but perhaps a niggle in the test 😉

The irony of it all is that a huge percentage of the Aussie population would fail the entry requirements for their own country, english included.

• Like 1

Hello fellow bloggers.

SLAYING TWO ENGLISH DRAGONS IN ONE WEEK!!

After a fantastic World Cup Final my wife received some excellent news.  

She passed her IELTS exam with the following scores.

Speaking: 8.0

Reading: 8.5

Listening: 8.0

Writing: 7.0 

We are hoping that the application would be successful so that we can start selling and packing.  We are looking to make the move in January 2021!!!

Thank you for all the encouragement and advice.

God Bless

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IELTS is a scam, don't even bother with it. As far as I can tell nobody gets more than 6.5 for writing on their first go. Go do Pearson, they actually mark your writing rather than just failing you without consideration.

I received an 8 for writing on my first go and went to an Afrikaans school. It is possible, but you really need to study and prepare for it. 

You're the first person I've come across who managed that. Literally everyone else got a 6.5 or lower on their first attempt. And going to an Afrikaans school has nothing to do with it. I don't understand how I can go from a fail in IELTS to a maximum score in Pearson (practice test) less than a week later.

So I contacted someone who is a registered IELTS teacher, and sent her some of my practice essays from before the exam. She said she couldn't figure out how they gave me such a low score, marking as strictly as she could, and penalising me for "poor" handwriting she said she couldn't see how I could get less than 7.5

So I spoke to a friend of mine who works for the British Embassy here, and he said that dealing with British Council should be avoided at all costs.

My opinion after the whole experience is that no one should give their money to British Council's IELTS. I've recently had a really bad experience with Pearson on a different exam I want to take, but they are still infinitely better than IELTS.

If anyone reads this, don't waste your time or money with the IELTS, take the Pearson exam. There's some amazing YouTube classes for it as well.

13 hours ago, LekkerOuJan said:

IELTS is a scam, don't even bother with it. As far as I can tell nobody gets more than 6.5 for writing on their first go. Go do Pearson, they actually mark your writing rather than just failing you without consideration.

7.5 for writing on my first attempt, but I needed 8.

My wife did better in the IELTS than the PTE-A.

I do recommend everyone start with PTE-A though.

I still want to do a comparison writeup...

Even back in 2011, IELTS was a scam. It was amazing how they managed to give me just 0.5 of a point off to get enough points... twice. Given the amount of money they scam out of people, it's bizarre that they have all their exams in the Joburg CBD... I sat and wrote my exam watching some members of the EFF marching across the Nelson Mandela bridge... at least it was affirming to me that the pain was worth it :D

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 8:41 PM, Mel-B said:

I received an 8 for writing on my first go and went to an Afrikaans school. It is possible, but you really need to study and prepare for it. 

yes, but your passion is writing....I noticed some of your past posts - you can write. Not like some of us "boertjies"