Time between 189 submission and request for medicals?

NewKangaroo

Question

Hi Everyone.

I have a question concerning the request for medicals.

I successfully obtained my EOI and formally applied for my 189 in April (with 75 points). My agent indicated to me that the CO will request for my medicals afterwards.

It is now 4 months since my submission, and I still have not received a request from the department to do my medicals. Having read some of the older topics, it appears that this request had come through much sooner (typically within 3 months?). I am now getting very concerned as to why I still have not received the request yet - does this mean bad news for me, or could there be other factors in play?

Thanks for any advice.

2 answers to this question

HI New Kangaroo welcome to the forum. 

There is considerable difference between the time lines both over time and between individuals.  The Dept of Home Affairs is currently stating that currently 75% of 189 applications are being processed within 7 months.  Generally they do not look at your application until the point there are ready to start processing it. 

Can I suggest that you contact your Registered Migration Agent to chat about the different options in respect of strategies for the medicals then they will be able to explain the pros and cons of different options based on your circumstances and aims.  

You can do your medicals in the meantime, no need to wait for them to be requested. We booked our medical the day after we submitted our appplication. Having said that, as mentioned there are a few things you need to take into account. Your initial entry date is linked to both your PCC and date you took your Medical, thus the earliest date between these two will be your limiting factor. As mentioned by @TeeTMI, discuss your options with your registered agent.

Edited by frosty