South African Community Leader in Melbourne/Victoria

Riekie

I have been approached by a representative of the department of Home  Affairs - see excerpt.  Is there anyone in Melbourne or Victoria who is active in the South African community who would be willing to be the "spokesperson" for the South African community in Victoria?  If not anyone on this forum, maybe you know of a person who would be ideal for this?  Obviously it needs to be someone who is in touch with the South African community and aware of and up to date with current happenings and needs in the South African immigrant community in Melbourne or Victoria. Any ideas, please PM me and I'll follow up.  Thanks heaps! 

I am a Community Liaison Officer with the Department of Home Affairs. We look to build relationships with community groups, so we can know how they are fairing and to be able to report up the line any gaps in government services. 

The Department makes frequent changes to visa programmes and introduces new visas, and has other initiatives such as announcing grants that community groups can apply for. For example, the Government recently introduced a new Sponsored Temporary Parent visa, and has announced two new provisional visas to encourage new migrants to live outside the main metropolitan areas. We seek relationships with community leaders to pass this information on to, have it circulated, and are grateful for any feedback we receive. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Riekie  I’m a bit confused - is this the SA Dept of Home Affairs which contacted you? Just curious. Also, did anyone come forward? B x

• 4 weeks later...

It was the Australian immigration department (also called department of home affairs) reaching out to local immigrant communities in Victoria to improve communication, address issues in relation to visas, resettling, etc.  Yes, I found someone - thanks!