Submit EOI is unabridged birth certificate required for defacto partner

Hi ,

We would like to submit an EOI for a 189 visa. I am the main applicant and my boyfriend is my defacto partner. In order to submit the EOI do we need an unabridged birth certificate for him? I have mine but we are struggling to get his and I dont want to delay the process

Hi there

We submitted EOI in June 2019. We however did not require the unabridged for the EOI, but our migrating agent advised that it will be submitted when you are invited to apply for the visa. So both myself and fiance went and applied for it at South African DoHA. It was relatively painless and we got the certificates within 4 weeks. This is hear-say but, I have read on the forum that you require the certificates for citizenship down the line....so might be a good idea to get it sorted now.

Good luck

• Thanks 1

The birth certificate is only required for the official visa application, not the EOI. Best is to try obtain them before then. I am not sure if they definitely require Unabridged or if they would accept a regular Abridged certificate (which you can obtain over the counter at Home Affairs) we just obtained Unabridged to be safe.

• Thanks 1

Firstly no documents are required for the EOI stage.  They are only required at the visa application stage.

Adults only need abridged birth certificates which are issued over the counter at DHA. 

Children under 18 require unabridged birth certificates that show both parents names.

It is a good idea to order unabridged birth certificates at some point as they may be needed down the track.

I hope this helps.

Regards

• Thanks 1