Find a sponsor for IT job in major cities

nanettedv

Hello!

I have just put in my EOI for Visa 189, but it got me thinking if there isn't a way to get sponsored by a company to go, as it would probably save me at least R80k in visa fees! I do work in IT, specifically corporate solutions around Office 365 and process automation, so I would need to stay close to the big cities. Does anyone know where I can find out which companies sponsor IT individuals? Are there recruitment agencies or websites you can recommend? 

Getting sponsorship is hard work, there aren't really employment agencies like you'd find in South Africa - Australia and especially Brisbane is very much network focused.  From people that I've worked with, directly approaching companies seems to be the most effective way, but your CV will have to really stand out to them as the companies that do offer sponsorships would be getting thousands of CV's from across the world.

If you can get a 189 visa that would be first prize.  I've found with some sponsored visas that the sponsor companies use their position of power against their staff.  They don't have to pay you a market rate as they technically own your visa unless you can find another sponsor.  If you want to go the sponsored route, I'd advise you to look at the biggest companies.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, nanettedv said:

Hello!

I have just put in my EOI for Visa 189, but it got me thinking if there isn't a way to get sponsored by a company to go, as it would probably save me at least R80k in visa fees! I do work in IT, specifically corporate solutions around Office 365 and process automation, so I would need to stay close to the big cities. Does anyone know where I can find out which companies sponsor IT individuals? Are there recruitment agencies or websites you can recommend? 

Many people assume that employer sponsorship includes covering your fees visa application charges/relocation.  For some people it may do - for others not the sponsoring employer is not required to pay these items (they do have to pay their own costs).

The other thing to note is that generally employers sponsor you on the 482 temporary visa for several reasons including the processing times for the permanent residence visas. 

• Thanks 1

Just be weary , As @ChrisH said, some (not all) companies will sponsor you but then underpay you (and you cant leave) Also note there are hidden costs with 482 (you wont get medicare or childcare rebates, also you have to pay for public schools) - and only some temp Visas will lead to PR . 

• Thanks 1

Also take into account that your employer may be happy to pay your visa fees, but may also request you cover the rest of your family at your own cost. As I do not know you current situation I can only speculate. However moving a whole family over to start in a new country on an employer sponsored visa can be extremely stressful. There is no guarantee that it is a permanent move, and if things don’t work out you may find yourself back in SA. With regards to saving of visa fees, there is no guarantee of this. Even if they do cover your sponsored visa keep in mind at some point you may wish to obtain a different visa and you may end up paying this yourself again. Not to discourage you, but unfortunately nothing about this process is cheap and you will most probably find yourself spending more money than you planned each step of the way. It is a real eye opener.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your replies and insights. Given the feedback I think I'll just stick with the 189 :) I feel pretty confident at this stage that I'll be invited to apply somewhere in the next 6 months (fingers crossed), and perhaps leave the sponsorship option as a last resort.