Question RE 189 Visa

Hi all, 

A quick question....for the 189 visa, do you currently have to be employed in the skill or can your past experience in the skill be sufficient - if you have had more than 10 years experience in the skill?

TIA 🙂

You can claim points for the period of time you were employed in your nominated occupation in the last 10 years. Don’t necessarily need to be currently employed in the nominated occupation. 

• You can only claim points for employment if the employment was in your nominated skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation; and you were employed for the relevant periods set out in the table, in the 10 years before you are invited to apply. 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-independent-189/points-table

Keep in mind that you are claiming for the amount of time you have been employed in the preceding 10 years.

As frosty mentions, for work experience points, you can only claim points in the previous 10 years.  Depending upon the circumstances and the occupation some skills assessments may require recent experience, different occupations have differing qualification/experience requirements. 
However, generally speaking you do not necessarily need to be working in the nominated occupation.

• 3 weeks later...

May I jump in here and ask a 189 related question? 

I can apply for 190 NSW at 65 points - Occupation: Architect.

Background:

NSW closed with the new immigration year on 1 July 2019 for Architects.

South Australia opened for Architects, but this window only lasted about 2 weeks. 

Now NSW have released their new 2019/2020 lists and Architects is available again and classified as medium availability. 

I have the option of redoing my PTE to obtain 20 points, which I believe I will achieve. I can then apply for 189 with 70 points. 

My Question is:

How long could the 189 invitation take?

Would you suggesting we submit EOI for 190 NSW now and as soon as I increase my PTE we submit the EOI for the 189? 

I don't want to miss another window if NSW closes again for Architects. 

I also don't want to be in a position where we receive the 190 invitation quickly and then have to decline in hope that we receive (or never) the 189 invitation. 

Thank you in advance.

@LieslG I don't see 189's coming down to 70 points. The number of invites for 2019/20 is less than 18/19, and as such should have higher competition.

NB: Not a migration agent, just someone who has been following this for 3 years. If you want expert advice contact one of the agents.

With the current trend, the question is no longer how long, but rather if one will receive an invitation with 70 points. Personally I would submit as soon as possible and update the EOI once you receive the outcome of you English results. One also needs to take into account the changes coming in November. Depending on your current situation this may either has a positive or negative effect on you application. I honestly wouldn't wait it out. 

12 hours ago, LieslG said:

I have the option of redoing my PTE to obtain 20 points, which I believe I will achieve. I can then apply for 189 with 70 points. 

My Question is:

How long could the 189 invitation take?

The last time a EOI for a 189 was invited with 70 points was Feb 2019 - and that was people with 70 points who had submitted an EOI prior to 09/11/2018.  So if you were to submit an EOI with 70 points the score would need to reduce to 70 (after inviting those waiting with 80, and 75 points), plus the backlog of people waiting with 70 points would need to be invited first. 

Given that there are less 189 places available this year, plus the changes to the points in November I would suggest you may wait quite a while? and that providing a reliable estimated timeline is rather difficult given the unknowns of how the EOI pool will re-shuffle when the points change in November.  

Edited by TeeTMI

Thank you. I will up my english PTE points and update 190 EOI and lodge 189 EOI and keep on praying.

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice.